Fostering Pets

**Well I don’t know if this is the right location for this…but I thought since pets are part of the family these days…that it might just work. **:thumbsup:
My husband and I are thinking of fostering a dog. We already have two dogs, so whats one more? :smiley:

For those of you who have fostered pets, what has been your experience? What are the requirements? Do you have any regrets?

Thanks for your input! :slight_smile:

My wife and I love dogs and had two golden retrievers. We got involved with an retriever rescue organization and agreed to foster a beautiful 1-year old named Zoey. (She prefers that spelling.) I think it too about two weeks before we realized we had just adopted another dog. She had been in four other families and we just couldn’t put her through that again. She’s about 2 1/2 now and is very happy – so are we.

I should point out the organization we dealt with, RAGOM.org was just wonderful. Just be aware it might be difficult to pass the foster on!

I haven’t fostered myself, but I know several people who do. They all say that you end up keeping more animals than you will place. One gal wound up with 12 cats! So be prepared to keep any dogs that you take in.

Check with your local rescue org about requirements. My friend did fostering for a long time, she had to learn NOT to get attached - some do not make it, some will go to live elsewhere.

Most of the animals she fostered were high needs, they were lots of work/commitment. If they were healthy, well trained animals they would most likely not have the need for foster care. They are either VERY young, very ill or in need of training.

There is a great need for these animal foster care homes - just make sure you are up to the challange, emotionally and physically.

I fostered Cavalier King Charles Spaniels for the Breed Club. AWFUL: they had to be restored to health and then passed along. Broke my heart.

My daughter & her room mate fostered for an all-breed rescue association when she moved to LA. The experience was generally positive, but one of the dogs had to go back to the shelter because it was not housebroken and became QUITE unwelcome in the rental apartment.

She finally adopted a shelter dog: HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!

**This is very similar to our situation. We adopted both our dogs (wouldn’t have it any other way!) So we do realize we could easily have a third addition to our family! ;):stuck_out_tongue:

Also, we live in an apartment. The shelter we have called (they should be calling us soon) made an exception for us to adopt one of their dogs, even though we rent and don’t have a yard. So this might be the biggest issue. They may say no because we don’t have land, or, then again, might just make an exception because they know we are dog lovers! :slight_smile:

Yup. They make the rules and a fenced-in yard is often one of those rules. I guess the couple of million dogs I see walking the streets of New York City every day are deprived, abused, mistreated puppies. (NOT!)

**My husband assured the lady that what they lack in a yard they will receive in love and attention from a wife that is home all day! Um…the other two don’t seem to mind being spoiled rotten princesses over having the roam of the earth! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just hoping it works out, since they DID already make an exception for us once after having met us! ;):slight_smile:

During college, my family was involved in Keeshond Rescue.
For those who don’t know what a Kees is, check out:

akc.org/breeds/keeshond/

Anyway, a large part of Rescue is fostering animals and evaluating them for adoptive families. We made the rounds through local animal shelters and pounds, relieving them of any Keesies or Kees mixes. I highly recommend, if you go the Rescue route, that you pick a single breed because you’ll be more helpful to people looking to adopt specific kinds of dogs. If you’ll just be fostering for a local rescue organization (some are not breed specific), then you’ll likely be taking assignments/requests from them (this is what my sister does).

Some things to consider:

[LIST]
*]Do you have adequate space (including a fenced backyard)? Fosters are notorious for escape attempts.

*]Do you have the financial means? Some rescue groups will provide food, medicine, vet bill reimbursement, vaccines, collars, leashes, etc., but some do not. Look for one that best fits your needs.

*]Most Rescues will have someone personally visit your home, to make sure you meet their requirements (fenced backyard, well-taken-care-of animals that you own, etc.). You may be asked to provide a veterinary reference, so that they know you take good care of your animals.

*]How do the animals you currently own react to “outsiders”? If you have overly territorial dogs, dogs that are dog-aggressive, or dogs that are food-aggressive, you may have to divide the house/yard using barriers like baby gates.

*]I do not recommend keeping emotionally distant from the foster animals. Some people do this, because it’s hard to let go, once the dog has found his “forever home.” But give that dog all of you, and really make him part of the family! The animal that comes into your care could possibly never know the love of a human being. Let your home be the first place he learns how to trust and love people.

*]Be prepared for a “permanent foster” pup. Sometimes, demand for an animal (especially the older ones or those with special needs/medication) is very low, and the animal my die in your care. It could take only days to adopt a dog out, but sometimes, it takes years. In other cases, they are never adopted by someone else. My family of origin, in the years we’ve done Rescue, has had 4 permanent foster dogs, all of them being senior citizens. :wink:
[/LIST]

I’m sure I’ll think of more, but I think this is enough to get you started.

Okay, I’m waaaaay slow today… You’ve already received so many answers! When I started typing, no one had responded yet (I guess that’s what happens when you have to go change the baby…). :smiley:

Hey! One of the great adventures of my life was working with Keeshond rescue to place a Keeshond my neighbor had virtually abandoned. That rescue group is AWESOME! They reimbursed me for vet and grooming bills, located a home with 2 other Keesies, a half-acre back yard, two kids and a SAHM.

On the big day, the rescue relay started at my house and, in 150-mile segments, took the dog hand-to-hand to her new home. FABULOUS!

I have to agree, mercy, Kees Rescue is awesome!! But I’m biased, so… :smiley: I’d love to get involved again.

Oh, yeah, the “railroad” (or relay) to transport the dogs!! Convert, if you can, help with this part, too. We had to have a few of our Keesies (with a couple of St. Bernards) railroaded from Kansas to Arizona, and the volunteers who handed the dogs off were great! We only had to drive to New Mexico to get them. Driving is so much better than putting them on a plane (especially the older ones or the ones who have been abused).

I would love to foster animals but I live in a one bedroom apt. with a cat who can’t tolerate other animals…I’ve tried it before. God Bless anyone who is able to do it and follow through. Animals can bring many blessing to your life. :thumbsup:

I doubt that’s what they’re getting at, mercygate. I’ve done cat rescue/taming personally and have fostered for a local rescue group, and one of the reasons they set their foster carer bar so high is that they are determined none of their animals will be handed to hoarders - and they have plenty of hoarders “try it on” and then become abusive when the organisation won’t play ball.

**I don’t know much about fostering (other than it’s not a responsibility I would be willing to take on until Lily is MUCH older, lol) but have often thought about it. The other thing that goes through my mind is working with guide dogs etc.

I remember seeing a show years ago saying that they need people to take in puppies and take care of them and teach them the basics until they are old enough to be evaluated for service.

That appeals to me since it would be helping people out as well as getting to experience the love (given and received) from having pets.

I am afraid that my heart is to fragile for true fostering. I had one shelter mutt (who had been abused) and I couldn’t imagine having to give him on to another family once he finally began to trust us… I think we’d end up adopting them all, LOL.

But God bless you for even thinking of fostering animals in need…I hope you find what works for you!

Malia**

**:extrahappy:I am SO excited! We have been approved, no yard and all! We get to pick out our foster dog this coming weekend! :bounce: :love:

I will keep you updated and let you know all about our new little family addition in just a couple of weeks! So…stay tuned! :smiley:

I have a chihuahua you can foster. No seriously, I do…:thumbsup:

No! Not here! I turned a chihuahua down last month!!!

For Convert- I would look at all the little details Beloved mentioned. I can’t foster any more because the kitties DO end up living here on a permanent basis. We took in the girls’ cats when we got custody of them, and i had to get a variance with my town, as only two of each breed is allowed per home.

Congrats on being approved to foster!! I think it is a wonderful thing that you are doing.

We have 6 rescued pets and 1 that I purchased from a pet store after he’d been returned (and he was only 3 months old then).

We have 5 cats and 2 dogs. Our oldest dog is 2 now and we got her last Christmas right after she’d turned 1. She’d been dumped at a pound, put in foster care, adopted, put back in foster care and then came to us. It took her about 8 months to bond with us.

The only thing I would suggest to you is make sure that you are very honest with potential adopting families. I love Brandy but she wouldn’t have been a dog I’d have picked for our home. We were told she was great with kids and would be ok with cats. Well, she barked constantly, bit the kids (hard enough to leave nasty bruises and scratches :eek:), and still goes after the cats like they’re her personal playtoys. We have gates up to divide the house in half so the cats can have a peaceful life (and so can we).

I guess my point is that a dog really needs to be thoroughly assessed so that she/he goes to the right family and doesn’t get returned yet again. KWIM?

Thankfully we decided not to return her to the agency but to try and rehabilitate her. She is much better with barking and rarely nips at the kids anymore (only if really excited when playing outside). She is a work in progress. And we love her. :love:

Best of luck to you.
CC

This is very important. Socializing the dog, and putting them in various situations is crucial to determining the kind of home they will best fit into. Exposing them to other animals (dogs, cats, rodents, etc.), seeing how they do with small vs. older children, observing their behavior around the elderly… These are all very important factors in finding their forever homes. Like this poster mentioned, you don’t want a “boomerang” dog known for constantly coming back into Rescue.

**The lady from the shelter gave us a list of dogs that would be good for an apartment style living. It’s been so much fun looking over them. The hardest part is in the choosing! If we had a house with acres of land, I’d take them all. ;):stuck_out_tongue:

There were 14 puppies listed! OH MY GOODNESS were they sweet! :heart: I know hubby won’t go for a puppy, we need them pre-potty trained. But, SO SWEET! :love:

There’s lots of other dogs that need homes too. We are thinking of taking one that is older or has never been in a home. To give them a chance at something special, and having a family for once, especially before they (the older ones) would die.

The nice thing about this shelter is it is a no kill shelter. So, even if the dog never gets adopted, and we move or have babies or whatever, that the dog will not be euthanized. That was really comforting. I’d feel so bad if I couldn’t find a home, couldn’t adopt, and they kill the darling. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.