Found Some Chick Tracts...

Earlier today I took my sister to the hospital for her weekly allergy shots, and while I was sitting in the waiting room, I found some Chick tracts in a pile of magazines. I became a little upset, and, unsure of what to do, I hid them under a chair and side table (nobody else was around). I didn't want to throw them out because that felt like vandalism, but I knew that I didn't want other people getting the wrong idea by reading them. What made me more upset was that the back of each tract said something like, "Compliments of: Jesus," and the fact that we were at a Catholic hospital.

Apparently, they had been there in previous weeks, because my sister had read one of them without me noticing on an earlier hospital visit. She saw me getting upset and didn't understand why (even after I told her). But I think she read just one, something about a girl trying to decide whether she wanted to go to a party and the devil was trying to tell her what to do. So I guess this one wasn't blatantly anti-Catholic, though it seems a-C sentiment is usually slipped in subtly.

What should I have done? Now that I think about it, hiding the tracts seems childish. Should I have thrown them away or just left them with the magazines?

I say throwing them away at the hospital, or taking them with you and then throwing them away, wouldn't have been a bad choice. They likely weren't supposed to be there in the first place, and moreover they had the added effect of propagating lies and distortions of religious truth.

Tell the receptionist or office manager and give the charts to him/her, explaining that as a Catholic yourself, seeing this in a Catholic hospital gave you quite a start. Wonder aloud how they might have gotten there?

If they were put there by somebody who actually works in the office, then you can not only protest but you can go 'up the chain of command' if necessary. And if they were smuggled in by outsiders, then the people working in the office will be 'on the alert' and looking for these to get rid of them.

[quote="Tantum_ergo, post:3, topic:177114"]
Tell the receptionist or office manager and give the charts to him/her, explaining that as a Catholic yourself, seeing this in a Catholic hospital gave you quite a start. Wonder aloud how they might have gotten there?

[/quote]

That crossed my mind, but I thought, "What if the receptionist I hand these over to is a Protestant who believes this stuff?" Looking back now, though, what you said was probably a better thing to do than what I actually did. If I find them again next week, I'll probably do this or simply throw them out like phoenix said.

Just throw that trash in the trash. Stop beating yourself up about whether you should protect protect people from lies or not. It is not sinful to burn garbage. Mre than that, if you help save someone from lies, you help to preserve souls. I would say that destroying the poison in Chick "tracts", you help preserve souls from spiritual poison. That is something the Lord may well appreciate.

Chick tracts are inherently evil. To destroy them is to destroy somethig that is inherently evil. It is common for evil to masquerades as good. In fact, a really good evil plan wil result in some good. Some Chick tracts and Medugorjie are examples of this.

That's a shame to throw out the gospel message..It's how christians share their faith and fulfill the great commission ..Was it an anti catholic one...My spiritual life was started by a tract called "this is you life'' .. I 've literally handed out hundreds of the same tract...I put them with the mags when I went to the doctors and dentists..Some Catholics have started their spiritual journey from them...They Holy Spirit started working from those verses I read in that booklet.... .Wasn't much later me and my druggie coworker had pretty radical conversion experiences..We started telling our coworkers about Christ's plan of redemption..They wondered what happened to us..Anyway I know he came up with some strange things God can work in the midst of it...I wouldn't doubt many come to Christ through his tracts and he is a good candidate for a "soul winners" crown.. Now to be honest, I will throw out JW and mormon tracts...Really be careful what you pitch..Just because it isn't Catholic doesn't mean God can use His word to change a life..peace to you...K

BTW Here are more Chick threads..Never knew he was so popular here..

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=376209

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=398964

Eliminating anti-Catholic "information" is not vandalism, it's a form of evangelization. It's kind of coincidental, wouldn't you say, that anti-Catholic tracts were in a Catholic hospital. I bet that the tracts were placed in the waiting room on purpose to "set those Catholics straight". If that garbage is still there at your next visit, take them home with you and rip them up and throw them away.

[quote="jpjd, post:7, topic:177114"]
Eliminating anti-Catholic "information" is not vandalism, it's a form of evangelization. It's kind of coincidental, wouldn't you say, that anti-Catholic tracts were in a Catholic hospital. I bet that the tracts were placed in the waiting room on purpose to "set those Catholics straight". If that garbage is still there at your next visit, take them home with you and rip them up and throw them away.

[/quote]

What if they were just bible verses that told
of Christ redemption plan and not some anti catholic plan...You would still chuck something the Holy Spirit could use to change a life..

:eek:
Report them and have them destroyed.

Imagine the confusion and anguish brought to a Catholic whose friend/relative is dying somewhere in the building, and they read that the last rites are satanic and will send their loved one to hell. That's the most sick and underhanded thing for them to do, putting these things in a Catholic hospital. :(

Like a lot of people I was not raised a Christain and the Chick tract "This Was Your Life" was instramental to planting a seed which eventually resulted in me reading the Bible and accepting Jesus (I'm not going to say "get saved" because I know you don't believe you can be sure of salvation). That having been said some Chick tracts are so unrealsitic they are bizaare. Did you know that the Catholic Church is responsable for the American Civil war and the assasination of Abraham Lincon? The Jesuits infiltrate and sabotage protestant churches?

Jack Chick is a perfect example of hellfire and brimstone protestant Christianity of three or four generations ago where the Catholic church is the whore of revalation.

[quote="Hiskid1973, post:6, topic:177114"]
That's a shame to throw out the gospel message..It's how christians share their faith and fulfill the great commission ..Was it an anti catholic one...My spiritual life was started by a tract called "this is you life'' .. I 've literally handed out hundreds of the same tract...I put them with the mags when I went to the doctors and dentists..Some Catholics have started their spiritual journey from them...They Holy Spirit started working from those verses I read in that booklet.... .Wasn't much later me and my druggie coworker had pretty radical conversion experiences..We started telling our coworkers about Christ's plan of redemption..They wondered what happened to us..Anyway I know he came up with some strange things God can work in the midst of it...I wouldn't doubt many come to Christ through his tracts and he is a good candidate for a "soul winners" crown.. Now to be honest, I will throw out JW and mormon tracts...Really be careful what you pitch..Just because it isn't Catholic doesn't mean God can use His word to change a life..peace to you...K

BTW Here are more Chick threads..Never knew he was so popular here..

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=376209

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=398964

[/quote]

Yes, I find it almost amusing that Chick tracts are so popular here too. I had never realized before that they were so prevalent.

However, I have to disagree with your assessment of them. My brothers and I used to collect them when I was growing up. Having read many of them and having passed out more than a few myself (we used to pass them out on Halloween), I'm going to have to say that they're dangerous in their spread of misinformation to the few who won't laugh at them or otherwise take them seriously. Chick has been a staunch anti-Catholic and is responsible for spreading many of the lies about the Catholic church through Fundamentalist circles. Tossing any of them that you see out in public into the garbage is only doing everyone else a service.

[quote="RainDown, post:1, topic:177114"]
Earlier today I took my sister to the hospital for her weekly allergy shots, and while I was sitting in the waiting room, I found some Chick tracts in a pile of magazines. I became a little upset, and, unsure of what to do, I hid them under a chair and side table (nobody else was around). I didn't want to throw them out because that felt like vandalism, but I knew that I didn't want other people getting the wrong idea by reading them. What made me more upset was that the back of each tract said something like, "Compliments of: Jesus," and the fact that we were at a Catholic hospital.

Apparently, they had been there in previous weeks, because my sister had read one of them without me noticing on an earlier hospital visit. She saw me getting upset and didn't understand why (even after I told her). But I think she read just one, something about a girl trying to decide whether she wanted to go to a party and the devil was trying to tell her what to do. So I guess this one wasn't blatantly anti-Catholic, though it seems a-C sentiment is usually slipped in subtly.

What should I have done? Now that I think about it, hiding the tracts seems childish. Should I have thrown them away or just left them with the magazines?

[/quote]

Just turn them in to the administration. You were right to be concerned.

Chick publications have some cute comics with some good messages. Problem is mixed in with the good are inaccurate (some might argue dishonest in the case of the one by the alleged ex Catholic priest) trash. They are anti Catholic NOT because they "expose" the Catholic Church but because they distort the faith and are blatantly false, conspiratorial, etc. I have heard them called hate literature and that is probably an accurate description of some of them.

What is sad is that I have met people who believe them as if they were academic journals. Weird! If I recall correctly one calls the host a "death cookie".

On top of all that I find it amusing they were in a Catholic hospital. The work for Christ that has been done by Catholic hospitals is amazing. How many hospitals has Jack Chick built??

[quote="OmegaSupreme, post:11, topic:177114"]
Yes, I find it almost amusing that Chick tracts are so popular here too. I had never realized before that they were so prevalent.

However, I have to disagree with your assessment of them. My brothers and I used to collect them when I was growing up. Having read many of them and having passed out more than a few myself (we used to pass them out on Halloween), I'm going to have to say that they're dangerous in their spread of misinformation to the few who won't laugh at them or otherwise take them seriously. Chick has been a staunch anti-Catholic and is responsible for spreading many of the lies about the Catholic church through Fundamentalist circles. Tossing any of them that you see out in public into the garbage is only doing everyone else a service.

[/quote]

Here's the thing..God's word doesn't return void...The Holy Spirit works in mysterious ways..What we think of a person is different in the way God sees them...God uses us in spite on the mess we make sometimes...I wouldn't be surprised if I see him receive a "soul winners crown" up there..

[quote="Hiskid1973, post:8, topic:177114"]
What if..

[/quote]

What it Obama said Sarah Palin is right?

You can fantasize about lots of things, buit you must be realistic.

Jack Chic lies. The only two entities who lie more than he does is the current President of the USA and the Devil.

[quote="rpp, post:14, topic:177114"]

Jack Chic lies. The only two entities who lie more than he does is the current President of the USA and the Devil.

[/quote]

Do you sin, make bad judgments..Let God be His judge..Jack's work started mine and many others spiritual journey...See what happens on the other side..I'll check with you over there..

[quote="Hiskid1973, post:13, topic:177114"]
Here's the thing..God's word doesn't return void...The Holy Spirit works in mysterious ways..What we think of a person is different in the way God sees them...God uses us in spite on the mess we make sometimes...I wouldn't be surprised if I see him receive a "soul winners crown" up there..

[/quote]

With so much hate and deliberate misinformation that spews forth from his works, I would be shocked if I did run into him up there.

catholic.com/library/sr_chick_tracts_p1.asp

I'd suggest taking a look at that link to inform yourself of how bad they really are.

[quote="OmegaSupreme, post:16, topic:177114"]
With so much hate and deliberate misinformation that spews forth from his works, I would be shocked if I did run into him up there.

I'd suggest taking a look at that link to inform yourself of how bad they really are.

[/quote]

Hey I know where they went, I got free samples and round filed some....I just use the one that worked for me...I've literally handed hundreds away over the years..I find that the people like the format...God will straighten him out..I guess I just look at the positive in it all..peace to you

[quote="RainDown, post:1, topic:177114"]
What made me more upset was that the back of each tract said something like, "Compliments of: Jesus," and the fact that we were at a Catholic hospital...
Should I have thrown them away or just left them with the magazines?

[/quote]

In all likelihood, the Catholic hospital lobby was a targeted location. A "hot spot" for Catholics. Someone is littering those tracts, and I can tell you that they are left without permission of the establishment. Cleaning up garbage is like a random act of kindness. :D

I've been throwing out Watchtower magazines for decades, whenever I find them. I just consider it my Christian duty. :thumbsup:

[quote="OmegaSupreme, post:16, topic:177114"]

[/quote]

"It's not our place to judge......." but Scripture does say,
"He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with me scatters." Mt. 12:30

whats a 'chick tract' ??:confused: ??

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.