Four police officers remembered in Oakland CA

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=56947&catid=2

OAKLAND, CA - Oracle Arena in Oakland filled to capacity for the funeral of four police officers gunned down by a parolee last weekend.

The funeral service for Sgt. Mark Dunakin, 40, of Tracy, Sgt. Ervin Romans, 43, of Danville, Sgt. Daniel Sakai, 35, of Castro Valley and Officer John Hege, 41, of Concord. began at 11 a.m.

Mourners passed under a giant U.S. flag held up by two fire truck ladders as they entered the parking lot. The officer’s caskets were draped in American flags.

Organizers of the funeral had to shut the doors to the arena because it was filled to capacity by 11 a.m.

18,000 people came to honor the fallen officers. Officials estimate that the joint funeral drew about 10,000 law enforcement members from around the world.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein and state Attorney General Jerry Brown are among the thousands are attending a funeral Friday for four Oakland police officers killed over the weekend, police said Thursday.

Schwarzenegger met privately with the officers’ family members prior to the 11 a.m. service at the Oracle Arena but wasn’t scheduled to speak at the funeral, police Capt. Paul Figueroa said at a Thursday news conference at police headquarters.

Local Officers Head to Oakland Police Funeral

Officers from Sacramento area police and sheriff’s departments gathered early Friday morning at the Sacramento Amtrak station to travel to Oakland for the funerals of four police officers.

Amtrak offered free seats on the 7:40 a.m. train to Oakland for members of the law enforcement community who wanted to attend the services. Sacramento Police Chief Rick Braziel and Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson were among those taking the train to the funerals.

Oakland Police Officers Mark Dunakin, John Hege, Ervin Romans and Daniel Sakai were killed in the line of duty on March 21. Officer Dunakin was a resident of Tracy. A funeral procession left Tracy Friday morning for the funeral services at Oracle Arena.

News10/KXTV
Copyright 2009 / All Rights Reserved

St. Michael the Archangel, pray for us, pray for all officers.

God rest their brave souls

What a shame those nutters who protested calling the evil killer a hero got any press time at all. It was like the OJ debacle, only worse.

My younger son, works as cadet while attending school. He was considering a DEA or FBI career. Those thoughts were questioned when the news of the killings broke. They evaporated when he saw the mindless vitriol displayed for four cops, who were simply doing their jobs. The job, BTW, that most folks don’t want to do…

God rest them and I thank them for their service.

It was good to see the community outpouring of sympathy as to the needless deaths of the officers in Oakland. Why does anyone need an assault weapon in the city? You can’t hunt with one.

I was surprised that, like in Chicago and NY, at cop funerals the bagpipes play.

As a born-and-raised Chicagoan, I was surprised by the bagpipes too.
It must be more of a regular custom that we’d realized.

I’ve worked with a lot of law enforcement agencies over the years. Sadly, that has meant the attendance at several funerals of those killed in the line of duty. Bagpipes are de rigeur in California. It isn’t uncommon to have four agency helicopters provide a fly over pattern, with one leaving the group heading north “to heaven”. It’s really quite stirring, reducing the most hardcore among us to wiping our cheeks.

I can’t place the tune played at the funeral. Does anyone know its name?

It seems that the playing of bagpipes is becoming a tradition.

“Bagpipes can conjure a sound of celebration, the lament of deepest mourning and bestow honor to presidents and princes. Known to pull pride or pain to the surface, the droning instrument is a tradition at parades and in police and firefighter ceremonies.

Palm Beach Fire-Rescue firefighter Mike Dickson, 46, who was born in Ireland, is learning the pipes to maintain his heritage and tradition. “I don’t think there’s an instrument that sends shivers down your spine like the bagpipes,” he said.”

sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-flppipers0315pnmar15,0,1849128.story

That is such an offensive question in the context of this crime that it is nothing short of reprehensible. :mad: Apparently you didn’t even know that the ‘assault weapon’ used was completely forbidden/banned from ownership under California law? But why can’t city dwellers own a gun and then hunt with it outside the city? You own guns in your city and you can’t hunt with them in Chicago!

First, this guy is a FELON on parole with a criminal record as long as both my arms. He is FORBIDDEN from touching a gun let alone owning a gun. He bought, illegally, 2 guns. This guy won’t obey any law. Obviously banning murder didn’t stop him from committing murder. Obviously banning him from committing other crimes didn’t stop him from committing the crimes that he had been convicted for several times. The gun he used to kill 2 of the officers was not even legal in California, so the outright ban of the gun didn’t even stop him from getting the gun.

So maybe the better question is WHY did the prison system let this guy out? This guy NEEDS to be locked up FOREVER. He needed to be locked up and kept in jail instead of being let out on parole. When will California learn?

Still you want to make this tragedy of 4 dead officers into a gun ban debate. Shame on you.

Yes, anyone looking at this thread can see my repeated, inaccurate, mean-spirited posts about guns.:rolleyes: One sentence merits three paragraphs of your vitriol? Give it a rest, why don’t you!?

I wish you would.

You look for places to insert little comments. No matter how hypocritical they make you look you still do it.

So you have guns in the city of Chicago. You can’t hunt with them. Why should you be allowed to have them?

Gentlemen, please, cease and desist. Take it outside.

My point in opening this thread is to recognize that four good men gave their lives for all of us - very Christlike behavior, IMHO. Everyone who enters law enforcement KNOWS that their lives might be ended by random violence. They choose to take on that possibilty. They choose to put themselves between us and those who could and/or would harm us. Only because of a flare-up of my rheumatoid arthritis, I was at home yesterday and I viewed all three hours of the memorial. It was respectful, beautiful and moving, a real tribute to the sacrifices made by the officers and their families. It’s unusual that one can see from “inside” the blue line. It was an overwhelming experience.

More distressing to me than the insane actions of an armed parolee (ALWAYS beyond explanation) is the fact that CNN.com has given no coverage to this “local” tragic memorial - and this despite an on-site audience of 20,000+ people.

Complain to CNN about its ZERO coverage of valor. Don’t make war with each other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.