Fourth Circuit Ruling - NC Attorney General will not defend marriage amendment

A Federal Appeals court ruled Virginia’s constitutional amendment concerning marriage to be unconstitutional. This ruling impacts several states including NC. In NC the Attorney General has said he will no longer defend the amendment.

AG Roy Cooper says federal ruling may allow gay marriage in NC

Since the SCOTUS ruled that citizens do not have standing in court to defend the constitution they voted for and the AG has refused to defend the law, the citizens of NC who voted for this have been disenfranchised. This is why I don’t vote. The courts make up the law and decide the elections if they are ever close. Voting exists to make you feel like you have a voice. But you don’t.

And this is why we are in the position we are in.

Peace

Tim

I can understand why people think their vote does not count, but many of the effects of your vote are indirect because we live in a republic. We don’t elect federal judges, but we do vote for the senators who confirm them, and we do vote (indirectly through the ecectoral college) for the president who nominates them. We vote for the house members who help determine how many federal judgeships are established, and we vote for state legislators who draw the federal house districts that can help determine who gets elected to congress.

If you want really bad politicians in office, let them know you don’t care enough to vote them out when they fail to act for the common good.

I should have been more clear. I actually used to vote. I stopped voting because nothing changed, in a good way, the choice presented between candidates is one without much distinction, and the candidate’s positions are terrible. But I made an exception and voted for this amendment. The courts are throwing away my vote. How did my vote make any difference if the courts invalidated it? What is the difference in my having voted for this and having spent the time I lost voting doing something constructive or good?

And if you are inclined to think voting Republicans makes for a good court keep in mind this appeals court consists of 2 of 3 Republican nominees and the current SCOTUS is a majority Republican court.

When you are presented with nothing but bad politicians as options to vote for what does it matter? Also, the electorate is made up largely of uninformed voters who seek their own special interest above the common good. The numbers are against you if you seek good. For that reason I think your time is better spent working of improving mankind than in effecting things through politics. With a democracy a good people will result in a good government. But a good government will not result from a bad people.

What about the Attorney General? Perhaps you could have elected someone who would defend his/her state laws in federal court.

But keep up that thinking. Hillary Clinton is counting on it. After all, it really helped keep our president in office for a second term.

Peace

Tim

Here is the Bishops statement after the court ruling:

VA Bishops statement on flawed marriage decision by federal appeals court

Statement by Bishop Paul S. Loverde and Bishop Francis X. DiLorenzo
On decision striking down Virginia’s marriage amendment

Today, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit affirmed a District Court’s decision that struck down Virginia’s constitutional marriage amendment. This action reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the intrinsic nature of marriage and is an injustice to Virginia voters.

As Catholic bishops, we once again affirm what our 2,000-year-old faith teaches: that all men and women are endowed by our Creator with equal dignity and worth. We maintain that those with same-sex attractions must be treated with respect and sensitivity. However, by rejecting the state amendment which affirms marriage as the unique institution between one man and one woman, the Court seeks to redefine an age-old institution, rooted in natural law, and extend a right that does not – and cannot - exist between people of the same sex.

Marriage has survived for countless generations because it uniquely benefits the common good by recognizing the union of two different but complementary individuals – that is a man and a woman – who, by their union, may create a family. Indeed, by its very nature this institution is ordered toward the regeneration and survival of the human race. For that reason Virginia’s constitution rightly recognizes the unique contributions marriage – the union of one man and one woman - makes to children and to the common good.

We will continue to affirm the truth about marriage, the lifelong union of one man and one woman, as well as the importance of marriage to the common good. As pastors, teachers, and faith leaders, we can do nothing less. We will continue to fight this unjust ruling.

See statement.

This is a little off topic, although it still relates to the issue of marriage. Check out this lecture Ryan T Anderson gave, ‘what is marriage:’

youtube.com/watch?v=YWIhZ5xJJaQ

North Carolina’s attorney general says his office will no longer defend the state’s voter-approved ban on same sex marriage in court after a federal appeals court ruled a similar prohibition in neighboring Virginia unconstitutional.

Attorney General Roy Cooper said Monday that the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling made it highly likely North Carolina’s ban will be overturned. North Carolina is part of the 4th Circuit. Cooper said any federal judge in North Carolina would be bound by the ruling.

Cooper, a Democrat, said further opposition to the four federal lawsuits challenging his state’s constitutional ban on same-sex marriage would be “futile.”

Cooper had previously said he personally opposes the marriage ban, but his duty as attorney general was to defend the state law approved by voters in 2012.

abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nc-attorney-general-defend-gay-marriage-ban-24750022

The Virginia case is heading to the Supreme Court anyway.

If only the VA AG felt the same way. Why are so few people scandalized (in the secular sense :slight_smile: ) that practically the AG’s first act after (presumably) swearing to uphold the laws of the Commonwealth was to decide not to even pretend to defend that one.

Yes, I voted. Certainly I did not vote for the one who got elected. I almost never do vote for the people who get elected. It is very frustrating, but doesn’t let me off the duty of voting.

–Jen

The California Attorney General did not defend Prop. 8. Actually, he and his supporters did everything they could to keep it off the ballot; now he is our governor. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.