Fox News Has Decided Bill O’Reilly Has to Go

The Murdochs have decided Bill O’Reilly’s 21-year run at Fox News will come to an end. According to sources briefed on the discussions, network executives are preparing to announce O’Reilly’s departure before he returns from an Italian vacation on April 24. Now the big questions are how the exit will look and who will replace him.
Wednesday morning, according to sources, executives are holding emergency meetings to discuss how they can sever the relationship with the country’s highest-rated cable-news host without causing collateral damage to the network. The board of Fox News’ parent company, 21st Century Fox, is scheduled to meet on Thursday to discuss the matter.

nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/04/sources-fox-news-has-decided-bill-oreilly-has-to-go.html

This is disappointing to say the least. They, in my view, also handled Megyn Kelly’s situation very poorly.

Who replaces Bill? The only one who could would be El Rushbo, but that ain’t gonna happen.

I would hope Fox would use this is an opportunity to reach young people, which O’Reilly was quite good at compared to other news networks.

I don’t watch O’Reilly (or much Fox News for that matter), but apparently a lot of people do. It will be interesting to see how Murdoch can dump O’Reilly without alienating a large number of his viewers. Maybe they think they can move Carlson into the slot without doing too much damage. It will also be interesting to see where he ends up. I can’t imagine some network wouldn’t be willing to throw a big bag of money at him for his 4.2M viewers.

Good! This loathsome sexual harasser has no business being a public figure.

Praise God, the right thing has been done!

He can retire and focus on his writing.

His fans will buy his books.

I don’t think we know he was. Settlement of lawsuits does not equal guilt.

I have, however, wondered whether he himself was grooming Jesse Watters for a bigger role someday. Watters is as clever as a tree full of owls.

Fortunately I don’t get FOXNEWS or MSNBC anymore…one is just a mouthpiece for right wing politics…the latter a mouthpiece for left wing politics…the radio is full of right wing goofballs who scream and shout and spout their FAKE conspiracy theories…I haven’t even looked for left wing radio…it’s hard to find anything where you get the news and that is all…no political BS…anyone know of any TV news that isn’t biased…apart from EWTN…which is about the only option I see

I don’t know who this is, but either you just roundly insulted him, or gave him a strange compliment.

Please don’t clarify! I prefer the ambiguity.

I actually preferred him to blowhard Hannity-----he was much more intelligent and “fair” than Sean and the other hosts and news-people.

But still---------he has nobody to blame but himself. I actually welcome this. Roger Ailes once told him that people liked him because he was an “a------” and honest about it.

Well, being an “a------” can only take you so far. There is a limit. And when people actually find out they have the courage to call you out on and reveal your repugnant behavior, you really are out of options. Too bad. :rolleyes: :frowning:

Watters was also O’Reilly’s go to guy when he needed somebody to stalk and harass someone simply because O’Reilly disagree with or was offended by a comment the person made. God help you if you dared criticize O’Reilly. Watters and/or someone like Griff Jenkins would literally park outside your house all night and harass you in the morning all in the name of “asking fair questions.”

I would not watch Watters.

He’s a smug jerk to me. The only ones I really care for in the network now are Shep Smith and Tucker Carlson. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+1

Mr. “We’ll do it live!” can go back to “Inside Edition.” (The quote’s from his on-air temper tantrum that went viral. Not very mature. And it’s not “pro-life” to harass women.)

Just speculating here, but “clever as a tree full of owls” definitely seems like a compliment when contrasted with “dumb as a box of rocks” or “dumb as a bag of hammers” which I’ve heard used as insults.

Settling harassment lawsuits can be cheaper than fighting them and winning, let alone losing. Being willing to settle those lawsuits shouldn’t be considered conclusive evidence of being a sexual harasser. It’s not very charitable to someone who just met with Pope Francis.

hollywoodreporter.com/news/bill-oreilly-meets-pope-francis-as-fox-news-termination-nears-995453

He’ll have more free time to spend with his loofah.

I have wondered that about Jesse Watters also. And you are right, settlement of lawsuits does not equal quilt, but some folks just can’t help themselves.

At least Tucker does not pose as a newsman.

I would like to see Colonel Allen West be given BO’s time slot. West is a better, brighter, fresher voice for conservatism.

I agree. Pretty obvious it was a compliment.

Glenn Beck had a very good hour on this today. He explained how Rupert Murdoch’s
children are beginning to take over and they are not necessarily conservatives. He said
they will go after Hannity next.

It was Glenn’s first hour. If you get The Blaze TV you should try to watch it tonight.
Fascinating.

Many times the insurance companies pressure them to settle.

Or perhaps younger people are more aware of the egregiousness of sexual harassment and have less tolerance for it.

There are several women who have reported being sexually harassed by O’Reilly who are not suing him.

Fox knew about this without ever doing anything about until they were forced to by declining ad revenue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.