Fox News' Highly Reluctant Jesus Follower

christianitytoday.com/ct/2013/november/fox-news-highly-reluctant-jesus-follower-kirsten-powers.html?paging=off

Kirsten Powers, who is a liberal commentator on Fox News, converted from atheism to Christianity lately.

I had no idea. Very good.

I’ve wondered what her beliefs were, earlier this year she was pretty vocal about being pro life and she is one of the few Dem commentators that doesn’t just follow the party line and will call out bad behavior where ever she sees it.

Great story! Thank you for sharing it! :thumbsup:

What extraordinary grace she was given!

What a beautiful conversion story!I have watched Kirsten on Fox since the early in the GWB’s presidency.I have noticed a softening of her demeanor the past few years,now I know why.:wink:

This is a great story! Wish I had a bell to ring for her right now.

Luke 15:7 - I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.

Amen.

:harp:

Beautiful story!

How will she be able to remain a Democrat?

Or… even become a Republican? :wink:

I tend to believe both of these groups are not so great.

One can become a Repub without fatally compromising Christian morality. “Not so great” is not the test.

Not to be chippy, but using that same formula, one can be a Democrat and reject certain parts of the party’s platform. It is a political party, not a suicide pact.

To be transparent here, I am not a member of any political party. Typically on a sampling of say 10 votes/issues, I vote for/along with 7 Republicans, 2 Libertarians, 1 Democrat.

One cannot be a Democrat in good conscience just because one has a mental reservation about something central to that party’s ideology. Abortion is central to the ideology.

To be transparent as well, I have never been a Republican. I was a Dem “from birth” and was a party officeholder and activist. At a point I realized I could not simultaneously be a faithful Democrat and a faithful Catholic, due to the party’s utter devotion to abortion. I resigned my position with the party and have not supported it since. I actually look at the prolife records and positions of candidates, but all the Dems are pro-abortion, so i always vote Repub.

Maybe Kirsten Powers is not a “typical” Evangelical, but if she is, she is going to face that very same choice.

One can also reject the Republican party without compromising Christian morality as well.

She’s an evangelical Christian? :eek: Would not have expected that. Also, there are evangelical churches in Manhattan??? :eek::eek::eek:

Sure. But nothing in Repub ideology requires it.

On the other hand, if one feels a moral obligation to oppose intrinsic evil in a way that has some chance of being effective, one would end up voting Repub because there’s really no other choice.

From a political standpoint, I liked these parts the best:

Then he said the magic words for a liberal: “Do you think you could keep an open mind about it?” Well, of course. “I’m very open-minded!” Even though I wasn’t at all. I derided Christians as anti-intellectual bigots who were too weak to face the reality that there is no rhyme or reason to the world. I had found this man’s church attendance an oddity to overlook, not a point in his favor.

How was I going to tell my family or friends about what had happened? Nobody would understand. I didn’t understand. (It says a lot about the family in which I grew up that one of my most pressing concerns was that Christians would try to turn me into a Republican.)

I’m going to have to check out this Tim Keller fellow. I know my apologetics fairly well, when discussing faith with other questions, but I’m not as strong when dealing with Atheists and Agnostics…even though I was both Atheist and Agnostic in my past.

I’m going to do something outside of my comfort zone and visit this evangelical Tim Keller Church service, which apparently is held only a few blocks away from where I live.

LOL :smiley:

Much of the republican ideology is neither moral or immoral, but one can really question whether republicans really live up to their ideology. For example, republicans claim to believe in smaller government, which is neither moral or immoral. But in practice, the size of the government does not tend to shrink when republicans hold power, so one can question whether or not they really believe their ideology or not. It could be that they are more interested in sound bites that sound good in order to get elected and once they are in power they care more about maintaining power than being true to their words.

On the other hand, if one feels a moral obligation to oppose intrinsic evil in a way that has some chance of being effective, one would end up voting Repub because there’s really no other choice.

One certainly can debate whether voting republican is an effective way to oppose moral evil. Certainly the Church does not teach that. It is left up to our consciences to determine the best way to oppose evil in most cases.

Sure, and we can determine the best way to put out a fire; with a fire extinguisher, a handful of dried twigs, a cupful of gasoline or whatever. The Church, as you know, does not endorse political parties, but it does expect us to oppose evil with effective means in a rational and serious way.

Abdicating political power to the party of abortion through equating it to the opposition which does not favor abortion, is not a moral choice. It might satisfy one’s vanity in seeing oneself as “above the fray and superior to both parties”. It might do that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.