Fox News North" Coming to Canada?

"Fox News North" Coming to Canada?

TODAY'S HEADLINES | SEND NEWS TIPS | DONATE
SHARE: E-MAIL PRINT

By Patrick B. Craine

TORONTO, Ontario, June 11, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - With rumours circulating about the launch of a conservative-leaning 24-hour news network in Canada, the editor of Canada's pro-life newspaper has expressed hopes that the venture could open the public square to a pro-life and pro-family voice.

"Having something to add balance to the overwhelmingly anti-life, anti-family left-wing broadcasters in Canada would be a very welcome development," commented Paul Tuns of The Interim.

Canada's media has been abuzz in the last few days over reports that the Montreal-based media conglomerate Quebecor Inc. is seeking a broadcasting license for what has been dubbed "Fox News North," a conservative news channel to compete with the almost uniformly left-leaning CBC, CTV, Global and other Canadian television news networks.

The project is reportedly headed by Kory Teneycke, former communications director for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who was hired this week as Quebecor's vice president of business development. Teneycke left Harper's office in July 2009, and has most recently been serving as a pundit for CBC.
lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/jun/10061106.html

The New Democratic Party are already soiling their undies.At last a true voice of Conservatism amongst the leftist media(CBC)Just wait for the character assassinations to start.The Left will no longer have a media monopoly and the sooner it comes the better.The CBC is already failing and this will spell their doom.There IS a God.!!!

I hope it's not actually affiliated with Fox. News can be full of facts and still be non-leftist. Fox puts ideology before truth. Having people on TV telling different lies and insinuations than the ones you're used to isn't much of an improvement.

I hope it can be a force for good in your country, Soutane, which has been my country recently as well. :) I know I've seen EWTN in Canada, is it on most people's cable and satelite packages or something they get special? My point is just that you can find plenty of truth, and Truth, on TV already is you know where to look. :thumbsup:

[quote="seanflynn, post:3, topic:201683"]
I hope it's not actually affiliated with Fox. News can be full of facts and still be non-leftist. Fox puts ideology before truth. Having people on TV telling different lies and insinuations than the ones you're used to isn't much of an improvement.

I hope it can be a force for good in your country, Soutane, which has been my country recently as well. :) I know I've seen EWTN in Canada, is it on most people's cable and satelite packages or something they get special? My point is just that you can find plenty of truth, and Truth, on TV already is you know where to look. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I get ewtn in Canada thank God but we need consevative news,thought and opinion to counterbalance the unrelenting leftist propaganda from,CBC,TVO,CFTO and a cabal of leftist newspapers like the Toronto Star and the Globe and mail.Canadians hunger for balance and I can reject lies from the right as well as those from the left.Let ME decide what I want to watch,not the socially compromised CRTC.That is what democracy is all about.

[quote="Soutane, post:2, topic:201683"]
The New Democratic Party are already soiling their undies.At last a true voice of Conservatism amongst the leftist media(CBC)Just wait for the character assassinations to start.The Left will no longer have a media monopoly and the sooner it comes the better.The CBC is already failing and this will spell their doom.There IS a God.!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Since when is thanking God for a newspaper with a particular political slant acceptable? How do you know which newspaper God supports ? what a blasphemy! Oh I forgot Stephen Harper already thinks he,s the King of Canada now his cohorts can make him feel like God as well.Some people should just sit down and listen to themselves

[quote="jamanne, post:5, topic:201683"]
Since when is thanking God for a newspaper with a particular political slant acceptable? How do you know which newspaper God supports ? what a blasphemy! Oh I forgot Stephen Harper already thinks he,s the King of Canada now his cohorts can make him feel like God as well.Some people should just sit down and listen to themselves

[/quote]

You have been reported to the moderator for calling me a blaphemer-I never said which paper God supports and you are indulging in ad hominum attack.Oh and by the way your leftist slant is showing,which you are certainly entitled to evince,just as I have the freedom of speech to support the conservative side,or is it"free speech for me and none for thee"?

Yes you arecorrect,some people SHOULD sit down and listen to themselves.You first;)

Fox News is evidence that a God exists? :confused:

A God who supports or watches Fox News…that’s a God I wouldn’t want to hang out with.

[quote="Zatzat, post:7, topic:201683"]
Fox News is evidence that a God exists? :confused:

A God who supports or watches Fox News...that's a God I wouldn't want to hang out with.

[/quote]

I'm sure YOU have nothing to worry about Zatzat,after all you are a self-proclaimed athiest,no?So its pretty much moot for you:):):)
I think it's so amusing how the left has a Kneejerk reaction- against anything conservative.By the way how would you have watched Fox nerws anyway as it was heretofore unavailable to Canadians by CRTC fiat.You are Canadian aren't you?Are you basing your knowledge on what others have told you?I'd rather not listen to hearsay as it is so often skewed by one's political bent,wouldn't you agree?

Somehow I don't think God watches TV and nor does he care much about one's political affiliations,but it's quite obvious that some here do.Hmmmmm?:)

[quote="Soutane, post:8, topic:201683"]
I'm sure YOU have nothing to worry about Zatzat,after all you are a self-proclaimed athiest,no?So its pretty much moot for you:):):)
I think it's so amusing how the left has a Kneejerk reactio against anything conservative.By the way how would you have watched Fox nerws anyway as it was heretofore unavailable to Canadians by CRTC fiat.You are Canadian aren't you?Are you basing your knowledge on what others have told you?

Somehow I don't think God watches TV and nor does he care much about one's political affiliations,but it's quite obvious that some here do.Hmmmmm?:)

[/quote]

I watch the funny Fox News clips and pundits on youtube. They never dissapoint and are always good for a chuckle.

[quote="Zatzat, post:9, topic:201683"]
I watch the funny Fox News clips and pundits on youtube. They never dissapoint and are always good for a chuckle.

[/quote]

Good for You!!!!Nothing like getting the whole story,eh?;)

Sort of like when I watch the CBC,CFTO,TVO and read the hysterical Toronto Star.Did you read yesterdays headlines about the fight between Ignatieff and Chretien who wants to team up with the NDP?Shades of the coalition.Conservative majority here we come!:thumbsup:

Qy: do Canadians have to pay a license fee on TVs to support CBC or does its support come out of general revenue?

[quote="Soutane, post:8, topic:201683"]
I think it's so amusing how the left has a Kneejerk reaction- against anything conservative.By the way how would you have watched Fox nerws anyway as it was heretofore unavailable to Canadians by CRTC fiat.You are Canadian aren't you?Are you basing your knowledge on what others have told you?I'd rather not listen to hearsay as it is so often skewed by one's political bent,wouldn't you agree?

[/quote]

Fox news is available in Canada it's just that no one watches it...
In all honesty i really dont think that a 24 hour Fox news concept is going to work in Canada, just look where the national post is headed...all while the Toronto Star is actually making a profit which is a rarity in today's media climate

[quote="seanflynn, post:3, topic:201683"]
I hope it's not actually affiliated with Fox. News can be full of facts and still be non-leftist. Fox puts ideology before truth. Since you have made the charge, examples are in order. Our are you just bloviating?Having people on TV telling different lies and insinuations than the ones you're used to isn't much of an improvement.

[/quote]

I can’t stand the Star. I don’t watch the The National or any TV news. I get my news online and my favourite online Paper is the Globe and Mail.

You should try the National Post too-Some very good columnists and a lot less editorializing in their reporting.

[quote="zara905, post:12, topic:201683"]
Fox news is available in Canada it's just that no one watches it...
In all honesty i really dont think that a 24 hour Fox news concept is going to work in Canada, just look where the national post is headed...all while the Toronto Star is actually making a profit which is a rarity in today's media climate

[/quote]

Ity's not available on my cable provider or I would have already subscribed to it."No one watches it"sounds as if you run your own Nielson rating system.I'm impressed.

[quote="mary_bobo, post:13, topic:201683"]

[/quote]

Mary I'm seeking balance most Canadian news and reporters are so far skewed to the left that all they do is editorialise instead of report the news.I'm looking to Fox for a Right wing skew so that I can be comfortable that I'm getting the whole picture and not just some quasi-communist's take on things.It's so amusing when leftists(a failed worldview)get their panties in a knot whenever Fox news is mentioned.It's so visceral,it's like Pavlov's dog.I subscribe to EWTN for the Truth ' and lifesite and the interim:thumbsup:.

Fox puts ideology before truth. Since you have made the charge, examples are in order. Our are you just bloviating?/QUOTE]

I don’t feel like taking the time to look up “bloviating,” so I’ll stipulate that I may have been doing it. However, my charge that Fox News puts ideology before facts is generally known and accepted, as far as I know. I say generally, but I suppose not unanimously.

For details, look into the story of journalist John Du Pre, who was fired from Fox News several years ago for not slanting his stories enough. Maybe you could find archives of Sen. Al Franken’s old radio segment, “Wait, wait, don’t lie to me,” and hear Bill O’Reilly’s and others’ “Weasels” which are factually true statements given the precise wording the speaker used, but intend to mislead the audience into making obvious, and false, assumptions from the implications.

A specific example I remember is from “The O’Reilly Factor.” A member of the U.S. Congress said to a member of the Bush Cabinet something along the lines of, “Don’t we have, as Americans, a duty to the truth?” It was about the war in Iraq, WMD, reasons for invasion, etc.

O’Reilly played the video clip of the exchange, and spoke for several minutes on how the Bush leadership and military had, in no way, failed in their duty to the troops. That’s right: Troops. He was arguing against an accusation that was never made, and tried to shame someone by implying that she made such an offensive accustation.

So, in conclusion, Fox News has earned a reputatioin for saying whatever it wants to say, and framing it in the sphere of current events.

Soutane, if you get ExpressVu, you can order Fox News Channel. I think it applies as well to Star Choice as well.

[quote="canadianguy1143, post:19, topic:201683"]
Soutane, if you get ExpressVu, you can order Fox News Channel. I think it applies as well to Star Choice as well.

[/quote]

Thanks CG but I have Cogeco-I,ll call them Monday and see if they have plans to get it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.