Fox News North" Coming to Canada?

[quote="seanflynn, post:18, topic:201683"]

Fox puts ideology before truth. Since you have made the charge, examples are in order. Our are you just bloviating?/

QUOTE]

I don't feel like taking the time to look up "bloviating," so I'll stipulate that I may have been doing it. However, my charge that Fox News puts ideology before facts is generally known and accepted, as far as I know. I say generally, but I suppose not unanimously.

For details, look into the story of journalist John Du Pre, who was fired from Fox News several years ago for not slanting his stories enough. Maybe you could find archives of Sen. Al Franken's old radio segment, "Wait, wait, don't lie to me," and hear Bill O'Reilly's and others' "Weasels" which are factually true statements given the precise wording the speaker used, but intend to mislead the audience into making obvious, and false, assumptions from the implications.

A specific example I remember is from "The O'Reilly Factor." A member of the U.S. Congress said to a member of the Bush Cabinet something along the lines of, "Don't we have, as Americans, a duty to the truth?" It was about the war in Iraq, WMD, reasons for invasion, etc.

O'Reilly played the video clip of the exchange, and spoke for several minutes on how the Bush leadership and military had, in no way, failed in their duty to the troops. That's right: Troops. He was arguing against an accusation that was never made, and tried to shame someone by implying that she made such an offensive accustation.

So, in conclusion, Fox News has earned a reputatioin for saying whatever it wants to say, and framing it in the sphere of current events.

blo·vi·ate  /ˈbloʊviˌeɪt/ Show Spelled[bloh-vee-eyt] Show IPA
–verb (used without object), ‐at·ed, ‐at·ing.

to speak pompously.
Use bloviating in a Sentence
See images of bloviating
Search bloviating on the Web

Origin:
1850–55, Americanism ; pseudo-L alter. of blow to boast; popularized by W. G. Harding

—Related forms
blo·vi·a·tion, noun Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.
Cite This Source | Link To bloviating
blo·vi·ate (blō'vē-āt')

intr.v. blo·vi·at·ed , blo·vi·at·ing , blo·vi·ates Slang
To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner: "the rural Babbitt who bloviates about 'progress' and 'growth'" (George Rebeck).

[Mock-Latinate formation, from blow 1 .]
blo'vi·a'tion n.

You" re welcome:)

[/quote]

[quote="seanflynn, post:18, topic:201683"]

Fox puts ideology before truth. Since you have made the charge, examples are in order. Our are you just bloviating?/

QUOTE]

I don't feel like taking the time to look up "bloviating," so I'll stipulate that I may have been doing it. However, my charge that Fox News puts ideology before facts is generally known and accepted, as far as I know. I say generally, but I suppose not unanimously.

For details, look into the story of journalist John Du Pre, who was fired from Fox News several years ago for not slanting his stories enough. Maybe you could find archives of Sen. Al Franken's old radio segment, "Wait, wait, don't lie to me," and hear Bill O'Reilly's and others' "Weasels" which are factually true statements given the precise wording the speaker used, but intend to mislead the audience into making obvious, and false, assumptions from the implications.

A specific example I remember is from "The O'Reilly Factor." A member of the U.S. Congress said to a member of the Bush Cabinet something along the lines of, "Don't we have, as Americans, a duty to the truth?" It was about the war in Iraq, WMD, reasons for invasion, etc.

O'Reilly played the video clip of the exchange, and spoke for several minutes on how the Bush leadership and military had, in no way, failed in their duty to the troops. That's right: Troops. He was arguing against an accusation that was never made, and tried to shame someone by implying that she made such an offensive accustation.

So, in conclusion, Fox News has earned a reputatioin for saying whatever it wants to say, and framing it in the sphere of current events.

Like so many liberals, you are confusing news programs with OPINION programs. O'Reilly is not a newsman. I asked for examples of news programs which put ideology before truth and you have given none. Have you ever watched a news program on FOX?

[/quote]

[quote="didymus, post:11, topic:201683"]
Qy: do Canadians have to pay a license fee on TVs to support CBC or does its support come out of general revenue?

[/quote]

No that's the British,but they have general revenue from commercials and they keep running to Parliament whining and with their hands out crying for money.Funny how no private broadcaster has that privilege.Like all dinosaur former monopoly television networkls,it is failing.I'm just worried that if they do fail what will happen to all the otherwise unemployable leftists,quasi-commies and pinkos,they can't all work for TVO?Wouldf you Americans like 20,000 or so pinkos?It can be arranged:D.

I had my satellite Dish set up to get Al Jazeera, EuroNews, and RAI :)

All it takes is a Dish 500 off eBay or Craiglist, a military compass and the ability to read numbers.
FTA satellite is the way to go.
I had an automated satellite tracker set up - until my neighbor complained.

[quote="Soutane, post:26, topic:201683"]

I wasn't referring to yopu Mary Bobo-Why your naME APPEARED IN THE QUOTE i HAVE NO IDEA.
[/quote]

[quote="zara905, post:24, topic:201683"]

Don't know how this thread got so mixed up, but you still did not answer the question. And FOX is a 24-hour news channel that happens to have opinion programs on it just as does CNN and others. Again, have you actually watched a news program on FNC?
[/quote]

Are you referring to me Mary,or Zara?

[quote="Zatzat, post:14, topic:201683"]
I can't stand the Star. I don't watch the The National or any TV news. I get my news online and my favourite online Paper is the Globe and Mail.

[/quote]

What, no love for Peter Mansbridge? Kevin Newman? Lloyd Robertson? It's too bad that Newman is leaving Global because he is quite good, and unlike Mansbridge and Robertson he's not old. I think the reason Global did so well is because they're news time is 6:30 instead of 10/11 (which means they miss a bit, but they catch a lot more viewers).

I really like The National actually. The documentaries are often quite interesting and their political panel has Andrew Coyne from Macleans on it (who I sometimes agree with, and who sometimes I want to yell at). I find the CBC to be much better at news than any other Canadian or American station for news (5 years ago I would have said CNN, but all they do now is politics and they somehow forgot that they are also suppose to do news). Sometimes I'll just have CBC Newsworld (or whatever it's called now) on in the background so I know what's going on. I subscribe to the CBC and CTV news feeds on my computer so I know what going on in Canada and a bit in the US, and most other things are picked up by the BBC (when it comes to non-editorial & non-opinion news, they're still the absolute best in the world in my opinion).

I would be surprised if the CRTC approved a Fox-sponsored news channel, because the BBC aren't even allowed to do a news show on their BBC Canada channel.

[quote="Soutane, post:29, topic:201683"]
Are you referring to me Mary,or Zara?

[/quote]

Actually, way back, I was responding to Seanflynn. It was to him that I addressed the question originally. I still don't know how this thread got messed up where my comments were attributed to someone else.

[quote="curlycool89, post:30, topic:201683"]
What, no love for Peter Mansbridge? Kevin Newman? Lloyd Robertson? It's too bad that Newman is leaving Global because he is quite good, and unlike Mansbridge and Robertson he's not old. I think the reason Global did so well is because they're news time is 6:30 instead of 10/11 (which means they miss a bit, but they catch a lot more viewers).

I really like The National actually. The documentaries are often quite interesting and their political panel has Andrew Coyne from Macleans on it (who I sometimes agree with, and who sometimes I want to yell at). I find the CBC to be much better at news than any other Canadian or American station for news (5 years ago I would have said CNN, but all they do now is politics and they somehow forgot that they are also suppose to do news). Sometimes I'll just have CBC Newsworld (or whatever it's called now) on in the background so I know what's going on. I subscribe to the CBC and CTV news feeds on my computer so I know what going on in Canada and a bit in the US, and most other things are picked up by the BBC (when it comes to non-editorial & non-opinion news, they're still the absolute best in the world in my opinion).

I would be surprised if the CRTC approved a Fox-sponsored news channel, because the BBC aren't even allowed to do a news show on their BBC Canada channel.

[/quote]

At least Coyne has a brain and his column along with,Wells'and Steyn's are not to be missed,sometimes even Amiel's although she has grown(understandably)whiny of late.

Black’s wife? I usually skip her column. Steyn’s is always worth a read just to see how much he’s willing to push the envelope after beating the Human Rights Commission once.

I think I speak for a majority of Canadians when I say NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

If this is affiliated with Fox News, no one will watch it. Fox News misleads people into things that are not correct and doesn't care about real issues. Any station that hires Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity I have no interest in.

I guarantee that if they go after our health care, they'll be done a month later. Besides, Canadians don't watch Fox News anyway

Like so many liberals, you are confusing news programs with OPINION programs. O’Reilly is not a newsman. I asked for examples of news programs which put ideology before truth and you have given none. Have you ever watched a news program on FOX?

I don’t think anyone has ever watched a news program on FOX News. :wink: That’s the problem. Also, my last point about quoting “truth” as “troops” is not a news issue. It is an honesty/integrity issue. Now deception is acceptable if you are deceiving someone about an opinion and not facts? On a channel with “News” in it’s name? And I think that it is people, not just liberals, who don’t notice the difference between news and opinion programs, and that FNC doesn’t mind their viewers being cofused on the issue.

Also, you calling me a liberal, or just saying that I am confused in a similar way as them without being one? I wouldn’t be offende being called that (even though I don’t agree with it), except that you seem to *intend *it as an insult.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.