Fox News' Shep Smith to Trump: You owe the American people answers

Fox News’ Shep Smith to Trump: You owe the American people answers

Fox News anchor Shepard Smith on Thursday criticized President Trump for bashing reporters gathered at a lengthy Thursday press conference, calling on him to answer legitimate questions from news outlets.

“(Trump) keeps repeating ridiculous throwaway lines that are not true at all and sort of avoiding this issue of Russia as if we’re some kind of fools for asking the question. Really?” Smith said. “Your opposition was hacked and the Russians were responsible for it and your people were on the phone with Russia on the same day it was happening and we’re fools for asking the questions?”

“No sir,” Smith continued. “We are not fools for asking this question, and we demand to know the answer to this question. You owe this to the American people. Your supporters will support you either way. If your people were on the phone, what were they saying? We have a right to know, we absolutely do and that you call us fake news and put us down like children for asking these questions on behalf of the American people is inconsequential. The people deserve an answer to this question at very least.”

:thumbsup:

The shrieking continues. Shepard should have been fired a long time ago. Shepard and all of his ilk thought they could create the collective conscience. The fact they can’t is killing them from the inside out.

This is a must see and the latest current attempt at fake news by Buzzfeed, the same outlet that Trump destroyed publicly along with CNN for the fake prostitute story against him. This time they used something called furries. This is just how desperate the Democrats and left are to attack Trump.

buzzfeed.com/krishrach/meet-the-furries-fighting-fascism?utm_term=.nbbjKpRDd9#.dtBdGn83xZ

youtube.com/watch?v=6j6ZdVSrXNg

Do I understand Smith as saying Trump should reveal sensitive conversations to the public? It was probably a crime for the original disclosers to tell the NYT and WaPo anything about those intergovernmental calls at all, and Smith wants more of it?

Doesn’t make sense.

Awesome!
Honestly this is fun to watch. The 24 hour news cycle is freaking out that they have a president that doesn’t play by thier rules. I like shep, but he is just as clueless about all of this as anyone else. The problem is they have to comment on it 24/7. So they are flabbergasted!

This is so much fun.

I think he is talking about the alleged hacking of the Democrats and release of the emails to Wikileaks during the election.

I want a complete bipartisan investigation into Russia’s actions regarding the election. I want to have knowledge and demonstrable proof that our president hasn’t been compromised by a foreign entity. This isn’t a left/right issue. It’s a matter of protecting what’s left of our democracy. Smith isn’t wrong in his assertions (and I’m certainly no fan of him). We *are *owed answers and reporters asking for them are doing the right thing. I don’t find this funny. I find it scary.

Is there any evidence that Russia did anything?

That’s what an investigation might answer.

“Your opposition was hacked and the Russians were responsible for it and your people were on the phone with Russia on the same day it was happening and we’re fools for asking the questions?”

And

Two days after the election in November, Sergei A. Ryabkov, the deputy Russian foreign minister, said “there were contacts” during the campaign between Russian officials and Mr. Trump’s team.

“Obviously, we know most of the people from his entourage,” Mr. Ryabkov told Russia’s Interfax news agency.

The Trump transition team denied Mr. Ryabkov’s statement. “This is not accurate,” Hope Hicks, a spokeswoman for Mr. Trump, said at the time.

(nytimes.com/2017/02/14/us/politics/russia-intelligence-communications-trump.html?_r=0)

I understand the media’s and Trumps viewpoint. Trump wants to make the media accountable for their continuous disingenuous and agenda-based reporting (and I mean from both sides pro-left and pro-right). It’s so obvious when you read the various articles.

On the other hand the media should be able to get answers for their questions.

I have watched a couple of the media conferences that Trump has held and he does answer a few questions then leaves. The most recent one he answered a question from BBC, whose integrity he questioned openly along with CNN but he answered the question. If he wanted to control them, he would have made sure that reporters from certain news outlets don’t get to ask questions. That was not the case. No different to any other President or Prime Minister.

If you don’t get to ask your question, then wait for the next opportunity.

I am no Trump fan but I think this is just another excuse to whinge and complain. Shep needs to drink a can of concrete and harden up.

That would be great, but bipartisanship went out the window decades ago. There is no one in a position of authority that I would trust to not either be on a witch hunt or to turn a blind eye. Even is we had a 100% factual answer there is going to be spin on both sides.

Does that mean there aren’t impartial parties? No, but rather that they would never be allowed to do an investigation impartially or there wouldn’t be reports on the reports to prove or disprove any findings.

To be honest I think our democracy is doomed regardless of what might be found. There is zero respect for opposing views on basically anything anymore so people are less interested in the truth than they are to have villains and heroes. Outside of local politics, elected officials seem more interested in pleasing their parties or special interests than they are to listening to **all **of their constituents. People are concerned about people halfway around the world rather than saying what works here might not be the right idea over there.

That’s a good point. We should investigate people who may have illegally influenced our election.
And we should hold them accountable legally.
Including non citizens who may have voted or journalists who feel influencing an agenda is thier responsibility.

All are as equally abhorrent and traitorous.
And should be tried as such as well as any Russians who acted improperly.

I agree. Short of another disaster of 9/11 magnitude, I don’t see this polarization being resolved. Heck, I’m not sure even that would resolve it at this point. I have major disagreements with both parties and I am so sick of the discourse. It feels like it’s impossible to have a reasonable discussion with anyone these days.

I don’t think so which is part of the issue. A few years ago when China was accused of hacking the government presented evidence to support the claim.

The other point is this is just the press being the press. They scream “you can’t have an investigation into voting fraud without evidence” when it is about Democrats, but then yell that"we need an investigation!" When it is the Republicans.

The press brought this on themselves. When you have a history of criticizing Republicans regardless of their action or attempts to pacify you, eventually you wind up with a guy who realizes there’s no winning and uses it against you. There’s no benefit in him working with them at this point. Whether he does or doesn’t they have, and will continue to try to bring him down. Frankly, a large portion of Americans have been waiting a long time for someone to push back against the press’s unfair treatment.

If they start acting like a free and fair advocate for the people, the people might start to support them again. Until that time, their complaints just sound like whining.

In business you know you made a good deal when both sides are unhappy. Same in the legal system. Same here. Trump is “draining the swamp” if the blue rats and red rats are screaming. Same applies to journalists. A once noble profession of truth.

Based on family member’s reactions and their friends the average Russian was rolling on the floor laughing during the US election.In between they were wondering if the whole carry on was real or a Kafka novel crossed with an episode of Family Guy that had suddenly crossed the boundaries of fantasy into reality.

The sooner Trump is out of office the better.

I didn’t think there could be a worse Presedent than Obama.

I was wrong.

Yes. Why do you think that even GOP Senators and Congressmen are calling for investigations?

You’ll have to wait till 2021 unless he commits a crime.

yes. even DJTrump admits that there was hacking. The security committee says that Russia was involved.

Foolish people continue to label this as a media freak out…which is just nonsense.

POTUS should have to release his tax returns to prove he does not have a dangerous conflict of interest. I don’t care if he does so publicly or not, but they need to be reviewed by a competent authority.

Next, the Russian issue needs to be investigated formally and thoroughly. I don’t know how anyone could argue against that. I mean jeepers, we spend months and millions on the Clinton email scandal. This is just as bad.

it’s obvious the DNC emails were hacked or otherwise disclosed, because the DNC never denied the genuineness of the revealed content.

So let’s say there is something confirming that Russia hacked the DNC and gave the information to Assange. That would confirm that Russia hacked the DNC and gave the information to Assange.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.