FOX News Textbook Special Tonight

Sunday—"Tonight at 9 p.m. ET, FOX News Reporting investigates the $10 billion dollar-a-year textbook industry and how the drive to be politically correct might be taking over American schools.

Host Tucker Carlson asks experts, teachers, publishers and parents the same question: “Do you know what is inside your children’s textbooks?” From kindergarten through college, we found staggering errors and omissions which may be pushing agendas, hidden and otherwise."

I watched it today @ 3pm ET, it was astonishing. I’m glad my kids aren’t in school now, and I’m real happy I took the time to talk to them about their assignments, especially civics and history!

I don’t have any school age children and found this very disturbing. :frowning:

I’m going to watch this.

Good for you! I’ve told my sister and brother to watch it as well as any of my nieces and nephews with kids in school.

It’s good anyone, though, especially when we see the hate-lessons being taught in certain schools, and the complete revision of history.

Knowledge is power, especially knowledge of the opposition…:slight_smile:

My husband and I watched it last night. It was quite enlightening. I had my suspicions of course, but I had no idea it was so out of hand.

The innacurate and politically correct history is shameful. History is sooooo important. my father once quizzed a group of teenagers that were at our house for a cook out. He asked them if they knew who Thomas Jefferson was. One girl answered that she had seen him at the mall the previous weekend, and the rest didn’t know … Save one who went to Catholic school. :frowning:

We are so glad that we homeschool, but are saddened for those whose children are in public school. How sad that the textbook companies have become so political and corrupt. And I have thought for a long time that the prices that college students are expected to pay are ridiculous.

I like how they revealed that the highly influential textbook cunsultant, the “Insitute for Religious and Civic Studies” is in fact a Muslim organization. … Wonderful.:rolleyes:

And what the HECK is that open textbook thing.:eek: It is a disservice to college students everywhere.

SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SAD!!!:frowning:

Wake up, people. Demand accountability in your child’s public school education. Insist that the textbooks be accurate.

Nice how CA insisted on implementing the LGBT program for K-5th, against the obvious wishes of the parents, AND THEN would not give the parents the option to opt out!!!:mad:

Lord have mercy on us all.

Fox has had a segment about textbooks about once a week for quite some time. There is a professor who is doing the research and he points out different inaccuracies each segment, It is frightening how distorted history has become. If one doesn’t know history, how can you not repeat the same mistakes?

Boy, so true. I watched the segment and was totally blown away. I knew that the textbooks had leaned left for some time, but this is really appalling. My daughter is a teacher in the public school system, and she has been very disturbed as of late on the degree texbooks have taken a nosedive on truth. She is (this year) very conflicted on the direction of her career because of this. (and the politics played with the administration) She confirms that every faith but Christianity is being exhalted and validated in the study of different world religions. They are not validating Christianity at all. Her children are in a Catholic school, but we will still be vigilant on what is presented. It’s frightening really.:eek:

It’s overwhelming when you look at all the fronts that truth is being attacked, but in the end, we know that truth will win out.:wink:

Just Pray!!!

Sometimes I think we (Catholics) are so conditioned to the idea that only Priests may preach the Gospel that we forget within our homes we, too, have the power of the pulpit and the perfect setting for it. The dinner table. This takes some planning and commitment, but isn’t that hard to do. When our kids were in their school years, we agreed to not talk about ourselves at dinner unless the kids asked us to speak about it. We tried to use that time to interact with the kids, hear them, and teach them. When their stomachs are empty, you have a captive audience for a few minutes a day at least.

You know our Founding Fathers (national, not Church) left behind an incredible volume of writings that teach us who they were and what they were, and frankly it doesn’t resemble anything in any textbook in America. You don’t have to go to the National Archives and read them, as many biographers have done that work for you. Get a few of these books and read them, and you will be surprised at what you can teach from them.

A good example is when you hear people talk about Benjamin Franklin, implying he had so little by way of religious belief you’d think he was an atheist if you read the history texts. But Franklin is the one who instituted those daily opening prayers in the Houses of Congress, and he did it by giving a speech full of biblical quotations (Gen 10; Psalm 127; Mt 6) that were not lost on the people he spoke them to. On Thursday, June 27, 1787, an 81-year old Franklin, barely able to walk, took the floor and said this:

“Gentlemen, in the beginning of the contest with Great Britian, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayer in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, sirs, were heard and they were graciously answered. If a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His (God’s) notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?

We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel. . . . I therefore beg leave to move that henceforth, prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven and its blessings on our deliberations be held in this assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more clergy of the city be requested to officiate in that service.”

This is the guy your kid’s textbook paints as hardly having a belief in God at all.

Truth is the kind of intellectual food that, if you feed your children, makes them see the cheapness of historical summary texts for what they really are. They grow to understand we receive a sifted set of facts that may or may not represent reality, and at least in my own experience, it made they understand that the path to truth is not to sit on your back side and expect others to spoon it into you, but to go find the information from sources that are reliable and have no other vested interest.

I have the special saved on my DVR. In one segment in the first half, Tucker mentions the color photos printed on every page of the books. The example that he shows is out of a history book that mentions how Christians as a whole persecuted the Jews. If you can, pause the screen right there and read the whole page, and you can see just how out there these publishers are!!! :banghead:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.