Fox top rated again

lucianne.com/thread/?artnum=554751

Top 10 Again: Fox News Finishes July With Top 10 Cable News Programs

Mediaite, by Steve Krakauer

Original Article

mediaite.com/tv/top-10-again-fox-news-finishes-july-with-top-10-cable-news-programs/

Posted 7/27/2010

Once again, Fox News is finishing the month with the top 10 programs on cable news – in both total viewers and the A25-54 demographic. FNC also was 3rd on all of cable in prime time (total viewers), with MSNBC 28th, CNN 32nd and HLN 35th. Here are more details from July 2010: • FNC had the top 10 programs in both categories, while Countdown with Keith Olbermann finished 11th in the demo and 12th in total viewers. FNC’s Red Eye at 3amET finished better in the demo than CNN’s line-up from 6-9pmET.

Comments:
I wonder how the folks at MessNBC and CNN feel everytime these rankings come in. I can't help but smile

Why should they care at the other news stations? Fox News serves a specific audience that does not include large numbers of people who might be lured to other stations by the types of periodic tweeks stations typically make in their line up. The other stations are more concerned about ratings among viewers who might actually watch their shows some of the time versus viewers who never watch their shows and instead stick with Fox for their slant on the news.

Clearly there are people who feel better about themselves in some manner because Fox News did well in the ratings even if those people are merely Fox viewers making that old pirate Rupert his next million as he panders to each of his audiences. With Fox News it is self-identified "conservatives" with some of his other media holdings including the regular Fox channels he is happily peddling sleeze and scandal for ratings. The winner here is a man who has demonstrated that he cares about his bottom line above morals and values. The losers in this story are real journalistic standards and the poorly informed Americans who mistake info-tainment and ridiculous talking heads spouting their personal opinions/theories for real news.

Personally, I don't celebrate the type of pandering to a particular political "base" that goes on under the guise of news and "entertainment" at Fox News or any of the 24-hour "news" stations.

[quote="jc-servant, post:2, topic:206934"]

Personally, I don't celebrate the type of pandering to a particular political "base" that goes on under the guise of news and "entertainment" at Fox News or any of the 24-hour "news" stations.

[/quote]

As opposed to the overt pandering to the Left by the MSM?;)

I always thought it was ratings suicide for Christ Matthews to be on at the same time slot as Glenn Beck.

As much as I’d love to hear what liberals like him have to say, I don’t want to miss Glenn Beck, so I never watch Chris, which I guess is for the better.

There's money to be made telling middle aged white males what boogy man they should be afraid of next. —*always was.

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:5, topic:206934"]
There's money to be made telling middle aged white males what boogy man they should be afraid of next. —*always was.

[/quote]

I always wondered ... if Amazon is a "silent sponsor" of Glenn Beck and Hannity.

Because, they always have authors on and their book sales skyrocket.

Don't know if Beck viewers/listeners actually read, but they do buy a lot of books.

Judge Andrew Napolitano had Ann Coulter on his show the other day; her book sales have done well.

But the Judge also had a Washington Post writer on the same program. So, he gives equal time.

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:6, topic:206934"]

Don't know if Beck viewers/listeners actually read, but they do buy a lot of books.

[/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:5, topic:206934"]

[/quote]

Oooooh, middle aged white males.....the bane of human existence.

Shame on you. I guess you hinge on every word that comes out of the mouth of Joy Behar.

[quote="jc-servant, post:2, topic:206934"]
Why should they care at the other news stations? Fox News serves a specific audience that does not include large numbers of people who might be lured to other stations by the types of periodic tweeks stations typically make in their line up. The other stations are more concerned about ratings among viewers who might actually watch their shows some of the time versus viewers who never watch their shows and instead stick with Fox for their slant on the news.

Clearly there are people who feel better about themselves in some manner because Fox News did well in the ratings even if those people are merely Fox viewers making that old pirate Rupert his next million as he panders to each of his audiences. With Fox News it is self-identified "conservatives" with some of his other media holdings including the regular Fox channels he is happily peddling sleeze and scandal for ratings. The winner here is a man who has demonstrated that he cares about his bottom line above morals and values. The losers in this story are real journalistic standards and the poorly informed Americans who mistake info-tainment and ridiculous talking heads spouting their personal opinions/theories for real news.

[/quote]

The most educated viewers of news watch Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" w/ John Stewart. This is true. There is even empirical data (from Pew Research) to prove it.

This is funny...and sad...
From Editor and Publisher:
Other details are equally eye-opening. Pew judged the levels of knowledgeability (correct answers) among those surveyed and found that those who scored the highest were regular watchers of Comedy Central’s The Daily Show and Colbert Report. They tied with regular readers of major newspapers in the top spot—with 54% of them getting 2 out of 3 questions correct. Watchers of the Lehrer News Hour on PBS followed just behind.
Virtually bringing up the rear were regular watchers of Fox News. Only 1 in 3 could answer 2 out of 3 questions correctly. Fox topped only network morning show viewers.
Told that Shia was one group of Muslims struggling in Iraq, only 32% of the total sample could name “Sunni” as the other key group.
truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/daily_show_viewers_know_more/

I make an effort to watch news on many channels. Many evenings, after Jeopardy (my favorite) I see O’Reilly, then Hannity, then van Susteran (a scientologist, I understand). Sometimes, if I’m home, I see Beck. Even Cavuto.

But I also check out CNN, probably the most objective of the 24-hour all-news channels. And msnbc, which is sort-of Fox in reverse.

Here are a few of many conclusions I have come to. I rather like O'Reilly as he shows some semblance of fairness, though I can't stomach either guests Miller or Morris. Hannity is hardshell everything-possible-about-Obama is terrible. Van Susteran isn't bad, a bit biased toward the right but not usually offensively so.

Matthews, Schultz, Olbermann and that woman - forgot her name. Darrow or something vaguely like that, Anyway, as I've noted, they tend to be like Fox - very prejudiced, on the liberal side. Rarely objective.

As for Beck, he's an entertainer and a comedian and doesn't deserve to be considered a legitimate commentator. I taught history along the way and - wow! - how he distorts US history, and with a straight face. Well, usually with a smirk, He wins listeners by his clever twisting of facts (exploiting widespread lack of knowledge), his chalk board maneuvers, etc. He tries to play it a bit safe by praising Dr. King, whose position on most things runs totally counter to Beck's. I presume he uses King as 'cover'.   I've found it interesting, and perhaps significant, that Beck, raised a Catholic became a Mormon. He certainly does his best to wave the flag and exploit religion. He really is a clown posing as a serious newsman.

My favorite stations are the C-Spans where we tend to get a wide variety of opinions, plus Morning Journal from 7-10 most mornings with its call-ins. They also televise both the Senate and House and many other special events. 

Wish I had nothing to do but watch the news, and probably spend too much time already. Politically, I'm independent, voted GOP a long time, now usually split my ticket. The Republican Party nationally has generally drifted a bit too far right for my taste. That seemed to happen when it began to carry the old Confederacy.  Guess I'm one of those wimpy middle-roaders. Fiscally conservative, morally conservative, too, but do have an antipathy toward unnecessary wars (and those who pushed us into Iraq). I also believe strongly in equality for all Americans - 'with liberty and justice for all'! I am a King admirer, though he wasn't a saint, but a brilliant and courageous man who laid down his life for a better America. In contrast, Sharpton and Jesse annoy me and they injure the African-American community. (I'm white.) 

Oh, one other thing. This constant chant by Rush, Hannity, Palin and others, charging the mainstream media with being bias, is mostly malarkey. MSNBC is, true. And Fox. But I find regular news on CBS, NBC and ABC quite objective. People with a firm bias in one or another direction naturally view them as partisan. They get assailed by left and right. They do their best to be objective. And the attacks on the NY Times are foolish. It's a superb newspaper and I've read it for many decades now. Various Times columnists are liberal or conservative, as is true of any good newspaper. But no other paper provides the news at home and abroad with such depth and detail. I haven't heard or read the news each day until I have read the Times. 

Probably that's more than you care to know.

God bless his children of all colors, creeds and countries.

[quote="Roy5, post:10, topic:206934"]

Matthews, Schultz, Olbermann and that woman - forgot her name. 

[/quote]

Rachel Maddow?

Good response... pretty balanced. I agree that Beck is a good entertainer. O'Reilley is entertaining, as well.

As for MSNBC.... just be glad that your left-wing news station isn't paid for with tax payer money! (i.e. CBC)

Don’t be too sure, the public broadcasting system is pretty cooky, and I think they’re subsidized by the NEA (which is taxpayer funded)

A couple delayed thoughts.

MSNBC is generally leftish. However, one of my favorite programs is Morning Joe hosted by Joe Scarborough (6-9 a, m. EST). You get real balance on that program, as much as anywhere. And the guests represent a broad spectrum.

Probably the worst, most offensive program - well, certainly among the worse - is 'Family Guy". Guess who carries that? Fox! So much for its morality. They also carry the Simpsons, not nearly as bad as 'Family Guy" but it hasn't done anything to promote ethical behavior.

I have great admiration for PBS. I sometimes watch its news programs, which it tries to balance (Brooks the conservative is carried), but many of my favorite musical presentations I find there. None better than Andre Rieu. 

I probably should watch more news parody material on Comedy Central, but so much of the stuff carried on that channel is trashy 'adult humor' that I generally avoid it.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.