Fr. James Schall, SJ, on the Motu Proprio [Fr. Z]

In these electron charged pages I have been glossing and fisking all sorts of statements and articles about Summorum Pontificum. I keep intending to get back into other things, but so many people are sending interesting items, I simply must keep going.

Today I approach with great respect an article by Fr. James V. Schall, SJ.

My emphases and comments.

[INDENT]On Saying the Tridentine Mass | Fr. James V. Schall, S.J. | August 16, 2007

“It has been the constant concern of the Supreme Pontiffs, and up to the present time, to ensure that the Church of Christ offers a worthy worship to the Divine majesty ‘to the praise and glory of His name,’ and ‘to the benefit of all His Holy Church.’”—Benedict XVI, Summorum Pontificum, July 7, 2007.

I.

Lo, those many years ago, Schall was ordained to the priesthood the year after John XXIII made the last revision of the Latin Missale Romanum before Vatican Council II. At the time, **the pope raised waves because he dared to change the Canon to the extent of adding the name of St. Joseph ****[For some people, any change is too much change.] **to its list of those present at every Mass. Some do not even accept changes from the Pius Xth edition of the Missal. However, looking over the whole scope of the Church, including Byzantine rites, there have always been differing ways of celebrating Mass, usually including a different language and external forms. Still, in principle, it can be said that all the essential parts of the Mass—word, sacrifice, and communion—were clearly present in all the varied rites in so far as they were orthodox.

However, with the advent of the Novus Ordo in 1969, and its apparent, in practice at least, suppression of the older missal, I, along with most priests on the Roman rite, have said this Mass in the vernacular. However, in my own private Masses, I often use the Latin Novus Ordo form found in the back of the present Roman Missal. **Much of the English translation of the Novus Ordo has been rather vapid, and the Latin not as elegant as that of the Tridentine Mass. *****always *less elegant. My columns have over the years shown that some of the newer prayers for the *usus recentior *have both substance and style. Still, his point is worthy of attention.] **

[Edited by Moderator]

Full entry…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.