Fr. Richard McBrien: A Heretic?

What is the bishop doing with regards to McBrien’s persistent opposition and often erroneuos teachings about the Catholic faith? This guy is appearing anywhere on TV with his bold heretical views.

Has this reach the Vatican and can we do something about it before this fellow drag many souls into perdition with him?

Pio

For those of us not in the know, what are the views espoused by this priest that they are heretical?

Well due to the fact that he believes in women priests, that abortion is ok at times, Jesus may have not established the Catholic Chruch, and questions Our Blessed Mother’s perpetual virginity, I wonder why he hasen’t been burned yet.

Anyone got matches?

[quote=Trelow]Well due to the fact that he believes in women priests, that abortion is ok at times, Jesus may have not established the Catholic Chruch, and questions Our Blessed Mother’s perpetual virginity, I wonder why he hasen’t been burned yet.
[/quote]

If that’s the case, I wonder why he’s still a priest even.

Some of his more tender gibs:

*RE: Authority:

• “If, after appropriate study, reflection and prayer, a person is convinced that his or her conscience is correct, in spite of a conflict with the moral teachings of the Church, the person not only may, but must, follow the dictates of conscience rather than the teachings of the Church.”

“The Pope and bishops are symbols of unity and official spokesmen for the community. The idea that the Pope or the body of bishops could define something or authoritatively proclaim something which is rejected by the overwhelming majority of the faithful is a theological fiction. The Magisterium is not above the community. It exists to provide the community with guidelines for its own self-understanding and to be a channel for the community’s convictions and beliefs”

“. . . there is a great disparity between the theologyof “Catholicism” and its canonical expression. And the principal reason for this disparity lies in the unbiblical and untheological notion of jurisdiction. Canonically, jurisdiction refers to the public power of ruling the Church, and the Code of Canon Law insists that such power is of divine institution . . . And yet in the New Testament there is no basis for the kind of jurisdiction which either the Pope or the bishops currently exercise. The monarchical episcopate simply did not exist, nor did the papacy as an office possessing full and supreme, ordinary and immediate jurisdiction not only over each and every church but even over every pastor and lay person in the Church”

RE:* Munificentissimus Deus

*“Not only was it an unwise gesture (the ecumenical implications were clear enough), but it theologically unjustifiable”

*RE: **Humanae Vitae

• “The college of bishops, in an extraordinary abdication of responsibility, has allowed the Pope to reserve the final decision to himself. But the decision cannot be exclusively his. He must take into account the convictions of the entire Church as well as the convictions of all the bishops who represent various sectors of the Church”

*RE: Heresy

*“In my judgment, the traditional notion of heresy, ossified in the Code, has indeed expired . . . The rigid concept of heresy fails . . . to respect sufficiently the provisional and tentativecharacter of dogmatic statements. … The doctrines of the Church will always be short of the mark. As such, they are always in need of reform and development, and are correspondingly open to varying theological interpretations.”

*RE: The Church

*“Did Jesus intend to found a Church?” " ‘No’ if by ‘found’ we mean some direct, explicit deliberate act by which Jesus established a new religious organization… . The majority of scholars today support the assumption that Jesus expected the end to come soon."

“Similarly the Catholic Church is really composed of many churches: Orthodox, Anglicans, Protestants”

“In summary: no convincing case can be made from the New Testament that all men are called to membership in the Church. All men are, indeed, called to accept and live the Gospel and thereby to create and enter into God’s Kingdom, but the Church and the Kingdom are not one and the same reality”

“Not all men are called to the Church, nor is the Church the ordinary means of salvation”

“There is no advantage to being a member of the Church in terms of ultimate salvation”

RE: Original Sin

“theologians today would probably agree with the philosopher Paul Ricoeur, who refers to the doctrine as a rationalized myth about the mystery of evil.”

RE: The Crucifixion

“it was not a sacrifice of expiation-- just a peace offering”

[quote=Milliardo]For those of us not in the know, what are the views espoused by this priest that they are heretical?
[/quote]

Richard McBrien of Notre Dame: Papal Talking Heads, part 4Father Richard McBrien, head of the Notre Dame Theology faculty, is on CNN regularly. He is listed in some places as a consultant to ABC News also.

Here is some background on him as reported by the Australian AD2000:[indent]Theology departments in a large number of US Catholic colleges and universities have become well-established centres of dissent characterised by constant sniping at the Pope, Cardinal Ratzinger and the Vatican in general: “the petulant heterodoxy that flourishes in rarified settings”. Two extensively researched features in 1984 and 1985 in the American Fidelity magazine posed the question: “Is Notre Dame Catholic?” Author of this research, Dr E. Michael Jones, concluded in the negative.

Dr Jones provided disturbing evidence of heterodoxy among Notre Dame’s theologians, coupled with bitter hostility on the part of many faculty members who viewed any questioning of their teachings as “witch hunts” or a “vigilante mentality”.

Of those who did respond to a questionnaire, one priest, on the wrongness of abortion and homosexuality, answered: “These are hopeless questions; there is no way of knowing”. Another priest responded: “How can anyone speak of something being objectively wrong.”

Father Richard McBrien, Head of the Theology Department, indicated that there was no department “policy” on abortion or the divinity of Christ.[/INDENT]

I know that Fr. McBrien’s book on Catholicism was banned by the USCCB as a teaching tool. They said unless he edited certain statements it could not be used to teach the Catholic Faith. He declined the chance to edit his comments and so his book was banned. But unfortunately, no real public statement has been issued against him. It is quite sad really.

And now I wonder why he still calls himself Catholic. Why not just be honest with himself and leave the Church, or else form his own denomination where he’ll be happy? At least it will save faithful Catholics the trouble of explaining why there are such priests like him still in the Church.

[quote=Milliardo]And now I wonder why he still calls himself Catholic. Why not just be honest with himself and leave the Church, or else form his own denomination where he’ll be happy? At least it will save faithful Catholics the trouble of explaining why there are such priests like him still in the Church.
[/quote]

That would be best, but I fear that he may be one of those following the idea of “If you can’t beat them, join them.” :frowning: By his words above and by remaining a priest, he can do more damage and affect more lives sadly. Thanks and God Bless.

How would one go about getting him defrocked?:eek: I hear ratzinger has an email address. Shall we start a campaign. This guy gives great scandal to the Church.

I’m going to attend Notre Dame starting this fall (law school). When I get there, I have half a mind to talk to this chap. Is it a mortal sin to hit a priest? Would I have to confess to him afterwards? I am debating getting my Masters in Divinity in addition to my J.D. - this makes me wonder if the “Catholic” University of Notre Dame is the right school at which to study!

itsjustdave1988 also did some fine work on just this subject on his latest post: itsjustdave1988.blogspot.com/

Fr. McBrien, in the article above, tells us why he is choosing to violate canon law. I, on the other hand, have the strange view that our Catholic priests ought to obey their superiors. Call me traditionalists, but that’s how it ought to be. Catholic canon law is not something that priests can merely choose not to obey.

For anyone who isn’t a regular reader of itsjustdave1988, I highly recommend bookmarking the link above!

RyanL

[font=comic sans ms]For those of us not in the know, what are the views espoused by this priest that they are heretical?

[/font]He also espouses a dangerous spouse like euthanasia.

Pio

[quote=Milliardo]And now I wonder why he still calls himself Catholic. Why not just be honest with himself and leave the Church, or else form his own denomination where he’ll be happy? At least it will save faithful Catholics the trouble of explaining why there are such priests like him still in the Church.
[/quote]

He could make the shift the Episcopalian and not skip a beat. He’d have to trade the balck shirt in for a gray one though. That’s pushing it.

[/quote]

The same reason as Judas. To make a buck, and to do Satan’s legwork from within.

The “smoke of satan has entered the Church” - Satan would not want his subject to leave the Priesthood for he can do much more damage by staying in.

[quote=RyanL]I’m going to attend Notre Dame starting this fall (law school). When I get there, I have half a mind to talk to this chap. Is it a mortal sin to hit a priest? Would I have to confess to him afterwards? I am debating getting my Masters in Divinity in addition to my J.D. - this makes me wonder if the “Catholic” University of Notre Dame is the right school at which to study!

itsjustdave1988 also did some fine work on just this subject on his latest post: itsjustdave1988.blogspot.com/

For anyone who isn’t a regular reader of itsjustdave1988, I highly recommend bookmarking the link above!

RyanL
[/quote]

Have you looked into Ave Maria School of Law?http://www.avemarialaw.edu/home.cfm

Yonnie,

Too late…already sent Notre Dame my money. Besides, I believe this is where God wants me (series of not-so-coincidental events…). Maybe God wants me there to help make the place more Catholic!

RyanL

I agree that it is perfectly valid to point out errors in the teachings of Father McBrien and others. However, as faithful and orthodox catholics, we should also be praying for his conversion and acceptance of Church teaching.

It is amazing what a person like McBrien, with his considerable shpere of influence, could do for the greater good of the Church if only he returned to orthodxy and experienced a profound inner conversion. This, I contend, should be the focus of our energy, in the manner of St. Therese.

[quote=buffalo]The “smoke of satan has entered the Church” - Satan would not want his subject to leave the Priesthood for he can do much more damage by staying in.
[/quote]

Isn’t that the truth…:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.