Fr. Stan tells teens '2' love


#1

Fr. Stan tells teens '2' love
catholicregister.org/content/view/3922/854/

Written by Luc Rinaldi, Youth Speak News,

In the latest instalment of the U Got 2 series from renowned rapping priest Fr. Stan Fortuna, Catholics are not only urged, but called “2” love.

This follow-up to U Got 2 Believe and U Got 2 Pray dedicates itself to the dominant force in our faith and provides Catholics with a desperately needed and refreshing approach to a world stuck chasing impoverished and superficial love.


#2

I just asked my dh to pick up a copy for my stepdaughter for an easter gift. Her grandparents that are raising her (due to his age when she was born and then not wanting to have a major upheaval transition) have been getting many kids books and this seems more age appropriate with a good message.


#3

Readers will undoubtedly pick up a unique and seemingly frustrating feature though, within the first sentence. The “droppin’ ” of the “g” is his attempt to communicate in a less formal way, as if he were speaking to the reader. Those familiar with the urban and modern personality of Fortuna can quickly overlook, even come to value, this distinctive element.

I must confess I try, I really try. Sometimes I feel bigoted for not being able to ‘get’ this approach. I just see it as such a blown opportunity to speak to kids and set a proper example. Since I first learned of Fr. Stan Fortunas unique approach I have struggled with my feelings on using rap and steet talk to preach God.

Well, thanks for linking this article because it really got me to think. And I will pray on this issue.

Pray for people like me because I know kids desperately have got to be reached and at least Fr. Stan is doing something, but sometimes feel like there is some realy big cultural or generational obstacle to embracing this kind of outreach. :confused:


#4

Readers will undoubtedly pick up a unique and seemingly frustrating feature though, within the first sentence. The “droppin’ ” of the “g” is his attempt to communicate in a less formal way, as if he were speaking to the reader. Those familiar with the urban and modern personality of Fortuna can quickly overlook, even come to value, this distinctive element.

i draw mostly negative conclusions about Fr Stan’s product. i think he’s a sincere guy. but does his outreach result in true, deep, conversion of heart? or just a fake Catholic-y hipness?

when my older kids were teens, and Father Stan first came out with his stuff, my boys viewed him as inauthentic. they felt pandered to.

as for urban and modern personalities go, they prefer Father Groeschell.


#5

Fr. Stan preaches to a culture and a people he knows well. They love him

Most kids with firm backgrounds in faith and loving parents don’t get the way he speaks and acts. But let’s face it…well-adjusted kids with two parents who love them and are there for them are probably less than 5% of the kids today.


#6

Maybe that 5% are missing the message then. Instead of looking down and judging they should look at it with love - and look at it as a way to learn how to evangelize to the other 95% unless they honestly believe that only kids that walk, talk, and act like them deserve to be Catholic. Trust me dsd is very judgemental of kids that don’t talk and look like her and that is something my dh and I are trying to break her of. Tolerance is a Christian value - especially when what we are tolerating is difference in culture and not anything sinful. Better teens learn the difference between tolerance and permissibility in their own homes than grow up to think they are one in the same in college.


#7

Maybe that 5% are missing the message then. Instead of looking down and judging they should look at it with love - and look at it as a way to learn how to evangelize to the other 95% unless they honestly believe that only kids that walk, talk, and act like them deserve to be Catholic.

you've presented the framework of a very false dichotomy.

for the sake of clarity-- my oldest kids were born to a single mother (me), the first one when i was 17.

he, especially, was born in a very inner city hospital (in 1980, they would have called it a ghetto.) he was raised in an inner city neighborhood and schooled in one of the state's focus schools, which has since ultimately failed and closed its doors. when he was nearly 10, we moved, improved and started homeschooling.

in this little country town where we live, kids called my son a word that starts with WH and rhymes with trigger. (till rap became king.)

it's that kid, and then his brothers, who thought Fr Stan the Rapping priest was inauthentic and pandering.


#8

Regardless of what his early life was like, by 10 he had a stable home and a mother who homeschooled.

I’m not surprised that they thought him inauthentic…they didn’t know what authentic was…even if they faced difficulty in their youth. And you moved to the country…just as far from intercity Bronx as you can get.

Fr. Stan deals with children, who by 10 are facing pregnancy and living on their own. Children who are facing decisions of selling their bodies for food, selling drugs for food, etc. Children who are abused inside their homes and face hatred and disgust outside their homes. Most have faced hunger, rape, and abandonment.

I know many of the CFR’s well. They know my story and I listen to theirs.

I have the same view about Fr. Stan as I do about Steubenivlle Youth Conferences and Lifeteen. It’s too immature for children who are well-formed and guided. But for those who aren’t…it can be a stretch.

Fr. Stan reaches those hearts which have been so broken that a grain of sand looks whole.


#9

I'm not surprised that they thought him inauthentic...they didn't know what authentic was...even if they faced difficulty in their youth. And you moved to the country...just as far from intercity Bronx as you can get.

this is just ridiculous.

Fr. Stan deals with children, who by 10 are facing pregnancy and living on their own. Children who are facing decisions of selling their bodies for food, selling drugs for food, etc. Children who are abused inside their homes and face hatred and disgust outside their homes. Most have faced hunger, rape, and abandonment.

so are you proposing this is the other 95%-- the ones who'll know what authentic is?

look, PurpleS, some people who have lived some pretty tough stuff don't like Father Stan-- even if they fit in his target demographic. no need to take it personal.


#10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.