France has first 'burka' rage incident

The astonishing scene unfolded during a weekend shopping trip after the woman lawyer took offence at the attire of a fellow shopper resulting in argument during which the pair came to blows before being arrested.

It came as racial tensions grow in the country as it prepares to  introduce a    total ban on burkas and other forms of religious dress which cover the  face. 

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7735607/France-has-first-burka-rage-incident.html

thoughts?

My thought is that anyone who gets so bent out of shape over another person’s choice of clothing is either an idiot, immature, a first-class jerk, a control freak, an attention whore, or mentally unbalanced.

Miz

Although, I agree with the ban, I think this woman lawyer is at fault. (Just based on the news report.)

i disagree with the ban

if they ban the burka, then what is stopping then from banning priests from wearing cassocks in public, or religious wearing their habits

Its about security. Wearing a cassock doesn’t hide who you are. Hiding your face does.

I am with you. Burkas should be prohibited when there is demonstrable public risk. Thus the US courts were right to ban a Burka for a driver’s license photo, but have also been right to allow Burkas in schools and all public places where they do not create a demonstrable risk, otherwise there will be no end to the attempts to strip us of our religious freedoms.

This time of evening my eyesight isn’t too great. I thought the title of the thread was “France has first “burka” rape incident.” I thought some guy in France donned a burka to disguise himself as a man to gain entrance to a woman’s restroom and raped a woman or something along those lines.

So, yeah, I can see where head coverings can be a security issue.

I don’t like burkas, but banning them seems a bit silly. In winter time it’s not uncommon for people to wear a hat and scarf so that only their eyes are visible.

Maybe they should spend those resources mandating those women to attend some courses educating them in women’s rights, and giving them options with respect to continuing to belong to that oppressive culture (like education, employment opportunities, protection from their husbands/fathers/brothers).

This is what happened in Australia. No women were raped/ But a man in a shopping centre in Sydney. Was using a burka for criminal activities

We have had the same experience over here. Nonetheless, the burkha ought not to be outlawed just because it has the potential for abuse by criminal elements. The policing aspects pose just about the same difficulties with scrutiny in relation to the purchase of kitchen knives.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/burkaclad-knifeman-robs-third-travel-agent-1971811.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.