"Francis Beckwith, My Conversation with on the RCC"

Here is an article on another site (as I read in the rules it is OK to post links to other sites? Forgive me if I misread that) about Beckwith’s conversion.

apologetics.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=107581&Main=107581#Post107581

Although he’s a protestant theologian I often find his general insights informative and enjoy his banter on the radio, but I have to say that he really dropped the ball on this one. One paragraph really caught my eye because ive never read of someone using this position before (emphasis mine):

A common Roman Catholic argument is that Protestants can’t be right because we have so many denominations. This is not something we consider to be an argument against us; this is a badge of glory. We love each other past our differences and still remain Evangelicals. ***And I guess we see it as, better to have good people disagree than to have one single interpretation imposed upon all and all be wrong together. ***

Well for one is he saying that we Catholics are not good people? He says it as though we are zombies and dont ever disagree on anything. I also dont see how it is better to have 33,000 different interpretations rather than one wrong one. Let me give you an anecdotal story about a machine at our work (true story):

We had a problem with our printer at work and we were in need of some tech support to sort out the issues. So we call the company and talk to the support guy and he tells us what to do based on his experience and knowledge of the machine. It didn’t work so we called back and talked to the tech again and he still couldn’t figure it out so he handed me on to another tech guy who told me to do SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT!! OK so now we certainly know what is wrong now right? Wrong, still couldn’t figure it out. So I hop on their company forums and try to investigate if this is a common problem and if so, to see what other users have done to remedy the problem. Sure enough its a common problem but everyone is giving different advice on how to solve the problem including totally different company techs. Then I read the manual itself (ya I probably should have tried that first:D ) AND IT SAYS SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT AGAIN!!!

Is this something that this company should consider a 'badge of honor"? Maybe if you call having a one in 33,000 (or whatever the number is) chance of getting the right advice a good track record, but certainly when playing with souls the stakes are much higher. Would it not be better that everyone at the company be wrong in unison and then make the change to give the correct advice? It makes you wonder why there isn’t even MORE defections from the protestant denoms.

The story only goes so far before it breaks down just like any metaphor, but it serves its purpose. Do most protestants really think that having so many factions is a good thing?

A common Roman Catholic argument is that Protestants can’t be right because we have so many denominations. This is not something we consider to be an argument against us; this is a badge of glory. We love each other past our differences and still remain Evangelicals. And I guess we see it as, better to have good people disagree than to have one single interpretation imposed upon all and all be wrong together.

That is possibly the best spin I have ever read. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the “No Spin Zone”:smiley:

Just made the front page of The Washington Post online.

washingtonpost.com/

Thank you!

Direct link to the article here
:

:tiphat:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.