Francis effect

I know I’m about a month late on this but I had question about the ‘Francis effect’ that has been going on around the world as it concerns lapsed Catholics, etc. coming back to Mass.
From all of the news articles I read, albeit largely secular, seem to definitely indicate that the only reason people are coming back is bc the think PF will liberalize the Church. Is this true?

It is true that the Holy Father is getting much attention. It is true that millions of Catholics and Non-Catholics are very excited at this moment in his papacy. [may that continue!]
But, I do not think you will see any doctrinal changes. That is not his purpose. I think his purpose is to bring the Church back into a state of Grace [the Curia and the Clergy] and to invite people of all faiths and walks of life to meet Christ, the Holy Mother of the Church, and Biblical teaching.

Merry Christmas, Christ is born!!:christmastree1:

I doubt that people are returning because they hope for liberalization; they’d wait for it to happen first.

I imagine folks are simply attracted to the newness of faith represented by HH F.

ICXC NIKA

I’m not sure about the Francis effect, but for me Pope Benedict had my attention and I was sad he was unable to continue.

I don’t see anything so far to think Pope Francis will make the Church more liberal. If anything, I am seeing more traditional type Catholics making a stand. There are a lot of folks who call themselves Catholic but live a life very different from Catholic teaching.

That’s an overly simplistic way to look at it.

Sure, some people like him for that reason. But that’s not the whole of it. Many are simply attracted to his humble simplicity and the fact that he practices what he preaches.

It seems to me our new pope’s messages could all begin with “in other words…”!

I just don’t see anything different in what he is saying but I do see him saying the same things differently.

Peace!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.