Francis tipped his hand

A couple of good articles on what is happening behind the scenes at the Synod:

Francis tipped his hand
God always surprises us, Francis said at his morning homily before a controversial bishops’ report was released. So does this pope.
cruxnow.com/church/2014/10/14/francis-tipped-his-hand/

Some bishops want a do-over
They want the synod’s final report to emphasize faithful marriages and the seriousness of sin, and for the pope to confirm Church doctrine.
cruxnow.com/church/2014/10/14/some-bishops-want-a-do-over/

I think that our Holy Father is, like Teddy Roosevelt, talking softly, but carrying a big stick. The BBC had a great piece on the pastoral letter concerning the worth of gay individuals that was one of the best secular explanations I have read. Small steps are always preferable to giant leaps when trying to help the largest group in the world move forward.:wink:

Hey, I LIKE Teddy Roosevelt. Please don’t campare him to Pope Francis. I don’t want to lose my lunch!

So…the Holy Father disgusts you? :confused:

The cardinal reporting the opening session said:

“Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer the Christian community,”

What gifts and qualities unique to homosexuals do they, indeed, have to offer, one wonders.

“Without denying the moral problems connected to homosexual unions, it has to be noted that there are cases in which mutual aid to the point of sacrifice constitutes a precious support in the life of the partners,” they said.

abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/bishops-acknowledging-reality-catholic-families-26152677

“Without denying the moral problems connected to homosexual unions, it has to be noted that there are cases in which mutual aid to the point of sacrifice constitutes a precious support in the life of the partners,” they said.

Yes–they have the same “gifts and qualities” that all the rest of us have in our individuality and friendships. Having same sex attractions does not change the rest of the individual. But neither does it provide any unique gift, just as anything like a tendency to alcoholism or anger issues or other sexual proclivities offer any unique gifts. Those are all crosses, impediments, tendencies to sin. They are all challenges, not virtues.

And yes, of course, sacrifice and selflessness in relationships is good. In this case, though, it is the same as in friendships. A homosexual partnership is not the same as a marriage, and thus doesn’t have the fruitfulness unique to marriage, nor the sacramentality or status as the foundational family unit of society. It is not ordered to the parenting of children, or the original union of man and woman created in the beginning. It’s a qualitative difference.

So I think it’s misleading to use the words of the document. It suggests that some gift is unique to such partnerships. But its not. Its no different than what is possible in a friendship. And of course SSA people have the same gifts to offer as any other on an individual basis, and as friends. The Church never said any differently.

Sometimes one wishes the Pope imposed more laws on the various clerical spokesmen; like “Don’t attribute your own opinions to the Church, particularly the political opinions.”

Some of them have caused real problems, and the vague language some of them use is at the root of it, even if their intention isn’t. If everything has to be laboriously explained and if half of what gets said gets backtracked, something is wrong in the process.

cnn.com/2014/10/14/world/vatican-backtrack-gays/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Interior decorating acumen

Very well summarized. The gifts and qualities do not emanate from the homosexual inclinations.

I can’t speak as to what the bishops mean by unique. But maybe the mutual aid and support SS partners give to one another would be considered unique because a heterosexual wouldn’t be in such a relationship. And the bishops recognize this and are meeting the homosexual couple where they are in their lives and journeys?

In some respects, the comments from the synod summary seem truisms. In other respects they seem to say too much. Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer the Christian community. The Church ought to provide them a welcoming home.

The same might have been said about single people, who also tend to be forgotten in parishes. It might have been said of widows. It could have been said of young people, or the elderly, or of immigrants, or non-native speakers, or even of parolees.

To stir up even more ire, I note that the NY Times recently had an article about pedophiles, noting that their condition is a disorder, not a crime, and that a great many with such a condition scrupulously avoid acting on it. So the same sentiments could have said of pedophiles as well. But would it have been? If it had been, would the press have been so kind? There are many types of sexual attractions, but not everyone has an effective lobby. And no, I am not comparing homosexuals to pedophiles or even to widows or singles or parolees, just noting that any group of people might have gifts and qualities to offer the Church, and should be welcomed.

From the article in my prior post, some spokesperson is quoted as saying:

“Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer to the Christian community. Are we capable of welcoming these people, guaranteeing to them a fraternal space in our communities? Often they wish to encounter a church that offers them a welcoming home. Are our communities capable of providing that, accepting and valuing their sexual orientation, without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony?”

Valuing their sexual orientation???

This is not the first time it has seemed to me some of these people who purport to speak for the Church are out of control and are simply speaking their own minds. But when they do that, they give the impression they are speaking for the Church when they aren’t.

The Cardinal you will note did not say they had unique gifts, you have added that take yourself. Having said that all men have something unique about them, all sinners -including you and me and homosexuals and the Cardinal and our Pope have something we can offer Our Lord.

This kind of disrespect towards Pope Francis is very unpleasant. One may disagree with him of course on many areas but the idea that he evokes disgust sufficient to cause people to vomit is a pretty uncharitable suggestion.

I think we often see things from our own country’s politics. This would be an error. In some countries, homosexuals are persecuted. From that standpoint, yes, we should see God in them as we do in all humans and recognize that all humans should be treated as the Catechism states, “with dignity and respect”. Arresting people is not treating them with dignity. As far as Pope Francis blessing homosexual unions…it’s not going to happen. He is not saying that at all. We should be ready to accept EVERYONE. Their sins are between them and their confessors. A chaste homosexual, or a chaste divorcee, has every right to partake of the Eucharist.

Please trust in the Holy Spirit and let the final report speak for the Pope and the bishops. Patience and tongue biting for now. Trust that God will not let the Synod go astray.

Thank you for clarifying what the Cardinal did actually say.

I think this will be my takeaway. Whatever happens, I know there are Cardinals that are at least sympathetic.

Francis DeBernardo, executive director of New Ways Ministry, echoed that sentiment.

“Regardless of the fact that this is a working document, it is still significant in that it reveals a strong current of affirmative attitudes at high levels in the church towards lesbians and gay people,” he said.

If you quoted that one right, I see no need for all those ??? The CC is capable of valuing their orientation when without it they wouldn’t be in a place to offer the support that they do for their partners. It doesn’t mean the Church accepts their living arrangements or changes its definition of matrimony.

I was pointing out the pitfalls of using ambiguous language, expressing (apparently not very well) my wish that they refrained from doing that in a moral context. You can no more be certain of the proper interpretation of it than can I. Now explain to us the meaning of “valuing their sexual orientation.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.