Franciscan Friars - Holy Name Province

Greetings,

Does anyone have any personal experience or knowledge of this specific order? I have found plenty of informaion on their web page hnp.org/ but I am looking for some outside information. I am giving them serious consideration for a vocation.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

[quote="Murphs10, post:1, topic:199588"]
Greetings,

Does anyone have any personal experience or knowledge of this specific order? I have found plenty of informaion on their web page hnp.org/ but I am looking for some outside information. I am giving them serious consideration for a vocation.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

[/quote]

You lost me:o:o:o

Are you asking about info on the Franciscan Friars,or of the Friars of this specific region? :o

I study with a number of them. Anything in particular you want to know?

Sorry. This specific province/region. I am trying to get a better idea what differentiates the various Franciscan orders out there.

I am not looking for anything in particular, but maybe a more personal view. I am just looking for whatever insight I can find. Thanks.

Go meet them & get to know them…you will quickly see whether or not you & they are a good fit.:thumbsup:

God bless.

[quote="Murphs10, post:1, topic:199588"]
Greetings,

Any thoughts?

Thank you

[/quote]

I went to school with these guys in Washington DC and I was also one of their professors in theology many years ago. They are a great group of guys. The province is very large. If I'm not mistaken, it may be the largest Franciscan province in the country. I'm talking about numbers. You can actually carve out a whole new Franciscan order out of this one province. I know that they extend from NY to FL, which is a lot of territory.

They are not quite as intellectual as the Conventual Franciscans or as austere as the Franciscans of the different reform communities. They are a middle of the roald community. They still ordain many men to the priesthood, unlike the other branches of the Franciscan family who do not ordain as many anymore, because there is a surplus of priests within the Franciscan order

They also have very strong egalitarian rules, which some conservatives to do like; but it's part of the Rule of St. Francis. This means that you may have lay brother as the superior of a house of priests. In other words, being a priest is not a guarrantee of special treatment among the friars. Though this is pretty standards among most Franciscans. We tend to view the priesthood as accidental to the Franciscan life, not essential.

The Franciscans of the Holy Name Province are also involved in more parish ministries than most branches of the Franciscan order. If you're into parish ministry, you may find them very attractive.

Over all, I must admit that my years of contact with them were very pleasant. They're just a great bunch of guys.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.