Franciscan Friars of the Renewal

franciscanfriars.com/

How awesome are these guys? They were the first Franciscan community I ever looked into after my sister told me about them, and when I looked them up and saw the picture of all of them, a feeling of peace went throughout all of my body. They were exactly what I was looking for: A traditional Franciscan community that lived the life of Father Francis. No shoes, no beds, gray habits, cords, no kneelers (Although they jokingly say that they have two, referring to their knees), a life of giving to the poor, of being poor, of preaching and doing retreats, etc. But for the longest time, I didn’t want to join them because they required college, and four years of college wasn’t an option for me. Well, I’ve found my way to do it: Starting next year I will do the online Catholic college Angelicum, and by the end of two years I will have the amount of credits equivalent of an associates degree. Then, I will go to Benedictine college in Atchison, Kansas, where I will go to college for two years, majoring in whatever the Friars recommend, and once I’m twenty I will have a BA degree, and I’ll be ready to join the Friars. I can’t believe I really stressed about how it was impossible when actually, it’s quite simple. I just thank their vocation director Father Gabriel for getting me to think about it, and I definitely thank Brother JR for pointing out to me how important education was when I was a rebel of sorts about it.

[quote="ATeutonicKnight, post:1, topic:261719"]
franciscanfriars.com/

How awesome are these guys? They were the first Franciscan community I ever looked into after my sister told me about them, and when I looked them up and saw the picture of all of them, a feeling of peace went throughout all of my body. They were exactly what I was looking for: A traditional Franciscan community that lived the life of Father Francis. No shoes, no beds, gray habits, cords, no kneelers (Although they jokingly say that they have two, referring to their knees), a life of giving to the poor, of being poor, of preaching and doing retreats, etc. But for the longest time, I didn't want to join them because they required college, and four years of college wasn't an option for me. Well, I've found my way to do it: Starting next year I will do the online Catholic college Angelicum, and by the end of two years I will have the amount of credits equivalent of an associates degree. Then, I will go to Benedictine college in Atchison, Kansas, where I will go to college for two years, majoring in whatever the Friars recommend, and once I'm twenty I will have a BA degree, and I'll be ready to join the Friars. I can't believe I really stressed about how it was impossible when actually, it's quite simple. I just thank their vocation director Father Gabriel for getting me to think about it, and I definitely thank Brother JR for pointing out to me how important education was when I was a rebel of sorts about it.

[/quote]

TeutonicKnight,
I'm happy for you that a plan, a path is coming into view for you. :)

Also remember this about education. It goes above and beyond even formal classes. It's about growth, it's about becoming more than we are now. It's life long. It's the journey. Education is a wonderful gift. A wonderful opportunity, one that many are deprived of in their cultures.

Dont see it as a means to an end, but rather a a gift. A life long gift. Both formally and informally.

God Bless and may Our continue to guide your path as you seek closer communion. :)

[quote="Marie5890, post:2, topic:261719"]
TeutonicKnight,
I'm happy for you that a plan, a path is coming into view for you. :)

Also remember this about education. It goes above and beyond even formal classes. It's about growth, it's about becoming more than we are now. It's life long. It's the journey. Education is a wonderful gift. A wonderful opportunity, one that many are deprived of in their cultures.

Dont see it as a means to an end, but rather a a gift. A life long gift. Both formally and informally.

God Bless and may Our continue to guide your path as you seek closer communion. :)

[/quote]

Thanks. I'm really happy about this, as I've finally found a way to get past this. What's really great, is I won't have to do the G.E.D. test or get the diploma, because by the end of the two years I will have an associates degree, only doing theology, philosophy, and history the entire two years, no math or biology. It's really great to know, because I was especially worried about those two subjects.

I definitely will remember this. I used to frown upon school, but as you said, it is a life-long gift, and I'll never stop learning, no matter what. Even if I lay in bed and never get out of it for two weeks, I'll learn how painful bed sores are. :D

Congratulations and God bless. BrotherJR has also been a blessing in my life and discernment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.