Franciscan Sisters of the Spirit of Jesus

:tiphat:Has anyone ever heard of a community called the Franciscan Sisters of the Spirit of Jesus? They are Roman Catholic, but I have never heard of them.I found them quite by accident when looking for some other franciscan sisters.I found the obituary for a Sister Olga Besson Rushing who had been a widow, and in the 1970s joined them.She worked at the Center of Jesus the Lord in New Orleans,which is part of the diocese and conducts retreats,etc. However, that is all I can find out. Maybe I can write to the center and learn more. I am trying to get information from different communites to help promote vocations at my parish,so just curious.

Nope, but if you're looking at orthodox communities I'd check out the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious website! :D lots of great communities there!

:tiphat:Well i did find out about the community.Apparently they had been founded in the 1970s,when the chraismatic movement was going on in the Church. Many years later the community disbanded due i think the article said to lack of members,and one of the sisters had joined the Poor Clares and was going to make vows. Some article from the Archdiocese of New orleans. So I guess I answered my own question.Thanks for the help.

[quote="HollyDolly, post:1, topic:231815"]
:tiphat:Has anyone ever heard of a community called the Franciscan Sisters of the Spirit of Jesus? They are Roman Catholic, but I have never heard of them.I found them quite by accident when looking for some other franciscan sisters.I found the obituary for a Sister Olga Besson Rushing who had been a widow, and in the 1970s joined them.She worked at the Center of Jesus the Lord in New Orleans,which is part of the diocese and conducts retreats,etc. However, that is all I can find out. Maybe I can write to the center and learn more. I am trying to get information from different communites to help promote vocations at my parish,so just curious.

[/quote]

Holly,

One other publication which may be of help to you is the "guide to religious ministries" which lists both active and contemplative orders in the US.. ( Because the book lists all communities it will have more information than you might be able to use.. still it can be a helpful tool for you ), also you might contact the vocations office for your Diocese as they may have materials you could use for your parish.

How wonderful it is that you are doing something to help promote vocations!

Blessings,

Sr. Debbie OSC

[quote="melissa09, post:2, topic:231815"]
Nope, but if you're looking at orthodox communities I'd check out the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious website! :D lots of great communities there!

[/quote]

I agree that the website is quite good and lists many great communities..
one note though, for various reasons...not all contemplative orders (of woman) belong to an association such as Major Superiors of Women Religious... just a heads up for those who may be looking at contemplative life that they may not be listed but ought not to be dismissed out of hand

Blessings all

Sr Debbie OSC ( A Poor Clare Nun:nun2:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.