Franciscan U of Steubenville

Hi, I am a sophomore in high school. I am starting to look at colleges and Steubie caught my eye. A few people I know are recommending it for me especially because of the strong Catholic faith that exists there. I know I still have sometime, but I have some questions about the college. If someone could please answer these for me, that would be appreciated.

1. What majors are offered there?
  2. Do they have a priestly/religious discernment group of any kind?
  3. How is the area around the college (Steubenville in general)? Is it an area that I could walk around and be safe?
  4. What is the campus like?
  5. How many students attend Franciscan?
  6. Do they have a collegiate baseball team?
  7. Would you recommend it for a student looking into to a religious/priestly vocation?

Thank you

Goto their website :)

(my alma mater...I plan to send my Children there....hopefully...(they are not even at the age of reason yet...but one day :))

[quote="Bookcat, post:2, topic:309585"]
Goto their website :)

(my alma mater...I plan to send my Children there....hopefully...(they are not even at the age of reason yet...but one day :))

[/quote]

I live in Ohio so it is very convenient for me... There are somethings on the website though that aren't answered... I guess my main concern as well as my parent's is the neighborhood around it. Supposedly the city of Steubenville has seen its better days? And there was a very sad event about 10 years ago (if I remember correctly) about 2 Steubie students?

[quote="pgnat1, post:3, topic:309585"]
I live in Ohio so it is very convenient for me... There are somethings on the website though that aren't answered... I guess my main concern as well as my parent's is the neighborhood around it. Supposedly the city of Steubenville has seen its better days? And there was a very sad event about 10 years ago (if I remember correctly) about 2 Steubie students?

[/quote]

I was there in the late 90's --(but visited a year or so ago)

The downtown city of Steubenville has seen its better days --but the University is removed from the city. One will find problems anywhere ....(just think of the horrible recent events --they were in one of the "safest" towns of the country supposedly)

Go visit! -

-Go to one of the conferences in the Summer :) and to the University during the school year too...

[quote="Bookcat, post:4, topic:309585"]
I was there in the late 90's --(but visited a year or so ago)

The downtown city of Steubenville has seen its better days --but the University is removed from the city. One will find problems anywhere ....(just think of the horrible recent events --they were in one of the "safest" towns of the country supposedly)

[/quote]

Okay. Thank you, that was reassuring... I still have a lot to think about. Those were just my main questions.

All around the campus can be said to be very safe....and there are other areas that are not downtown too....

[quote="pgnat1, post:1, topic:309585"]

1. What majors are offered there? --see website--especially you should consider theology and philosophy
  2. Do they have a priestly/religious discernment group of any kind?They did and I image they still do....
  3. How is the area around the college (Steubenville in general)? Is it an area that I could walk around and be safe? answered
  4. What is the campus like? much more built up then the late 90's --
  5. How many students attend Franciscan?see website
  6. Do they have a collegiate baseball team?see website --I believe they have added various sports since my day --I am not sports person anyhow
  7. Would you recommend it for a student looking into to a religious/priestly vocation?yes most certainly

Thank you

[/quote]

[quote="Bookcat, post:6, topic:309585"]
All around the campus can be said to be very safe....and there are other areas that are not downtown too....

[/quote]

Yes, I think that if I were to go there, I would stend 99% of my time on campus... I do live in Ohio, but I am not familar with the Steubenville area. I have been to it once, and know it is an industrial town that is surrounded by hills. But I really like the location of Franciscan. I think it is on the north end of downtown up on a hill somewhat overlooking the downtown? I really love the spirituality there. Daily mass, confessions, and other spiritual activites. I feel that it is a place where I can really learn independence, and I can follow and hear God better and clearer. I will definitely consider going there is I do not enter a seminary straight out of high shcool (which is not likely).

[quote="pgnat1, post:8, topic:309585"]
Yes, I think that if I were to go there, I would stend 99% of my time on campus... I do live in Ohio, but I am not familar with the Steubenville area. I have been to it once, and know it is an industrial town that is surrounded by hills. But I really like the location of Franciscan. I think it is on the north end of downtown up on a hill somewhat overlooking the downtown? I really love the spirituality there. Daily mass, confessions, and other spiritual activites. I feel that it is a place where I can really learn independence, and I can follow and hear God better and clearer. I will definitely consider going there is I do not enter a seminary straight out of high shcool (which is not likely).

[/quote]

Yes removed from downtown.

(when I was there it seemed downtown was more old than dangerous -but was not there that often...I had a friend who lived there though)

See other answers above.

99% on campus -- then one will only have to be perhaps concerned regarding the lack of sunlight for the most part and the release of bad smells ever so often....:)

See other answer above

[quote="Bookcat, post:9, topic:309585"]

99% on campus -- then one will only have to be perhaps concerned regarding the lack of sunlight for the most part and the release of bad smells ever so often....:)

[/quote]

:p I was exaggerating :)

The best way to find out about any college or university, apart from their website is to send for their catalog. College catelogs have all the information one could want about that school.
As for the surrounding area, including the local crime rate and housing information, you can find that easily enough on the web.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.