Franciscan University of Steubenville - Orthodox?

Hi people,

I was just wondering how you all percieve the Franciscan University of Steubenville. If Ave Maria University offered a M.A. in Theology via distance learning I would jump on it, but they do not. If I felt the seminary in my own backyard, Sacred Heart Major Seminary, was orthodox enough, I would go there. While there have been some improvements in the staff and material there, I would still end up with professors that are quite progressive in their thinking.

If I study Theology, I want to know what the Catholic Church teaches, not some perversion of it. Can Franciscan University of Steubenville deliver true Catholic dogma and doctrine without the spin?

For anyone else interested, here is the program:

franciscan.edu/home2/Content/Admissions/main.aspx?id=688&cat=99&cc=737

Orthodox?

Isn’t Scott Hahn a professor there?

They’re quite orthodox. Perhaps moreso even than Ave Maria (:wink: ), and certainly up there with Thomas Aquinas College and Christendom.

I believe they are quite orthodox. Last I checked, however, their MA program is not completely correspondence. There’s still some courses required in residence.

I’m enrolled at Catholic Distance University. They offer a correspondence MA in Theology and I found them to be quite orthodox. The president of the University **IS **the diocesan bishop. (see cdu.edu/ )

[quote=Lux_et_veritas]Hi people,

I was just wondering how you all percieve the Franciscan University of Steubenville. If Ave Maria University offered a M.A. in Theology via distance learning I would jump on it, but they do not. If I felt the seminary in my own backyard, Sacred Heart Major Seminary, was orthodox enough, I would go there. While there have been some improvements in the staff and material there, I would still end up with professors that are quite progressive in their thinking.

If I study Theology, I want to know what the Catholic Church teaches, not some perversion of it. Can Franciscan University of Steubenville deliver true Catholic dogma and doctrine without the spin?

For anyone else interested, here is the program:

franciscan.edu/home2/Content/Admissions/main.aspx?id=688&cat=99&cc=737
[/quote]

I support Franciscan University and have not seen any reason not to for the past ten years.

Hi,

Franciscan University is one of the best Catholic Schools on earth!

John

Franciscan U of Steubenville would be my first recommend for someone looking either for theogy by distance learning or for their new pre-theologate program. not on is the teaching orthodox, all theology faculty proudly signed the mandatum, but the campus atmosphere is deliberately conducive to promoting Catholic way of living and values. I love going their for conferences etc. just to be around the students who are hired as aides, they are so pleasant to be around.

I have heart that Sacred Heart, in my old hometown, is turning around under new leadership which in my opinion is like turning the QE2, but I understand their is reason for hope for its future as a solid, reliable seminary. Our diocese sends men to the Josephenium in Columbus or to Mundelein.

Thank you all. I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

I did see Hahn on this faculty and saw that as positive. I looked into Catholic Distance Learning and was very impressed with their curriculum, but found FUS cheaper and they allow up to 6 months per course. I am aware of the residency requirement (must go two summers at 3 weeks each). I do have enough vacation yearly to do that, but won’t like using it all at once.

I do understand they were big on the Charismatic Renewal. I’m not big on this and I do hope it doesn’t get pushed on me. For those who choose that spiritual path fine, but it is not for me. I dabbled in it over 20 years ago, but I am more contemplative.

[quote=puzzleannie]Franciscan U of Steubenville would be my first recommend for someone looking either for theogy by distance learning or for their new pre-theologate program. not on is the teaching orthodox, all theology faculty proudly signed the mandatum, but the campus atmosphere is deliberately conducive to promoting Catholic way of living and values. I love going their for conferences etc. just to be around the students who are hired as aides, they are so pleasant to be around.

**I have heart that Sacred Heart, in my old hometown, is turning around under new leadership which in my opinion is like turning the QE2, but I understand their is reason for hope for its future as a solid, reliable seminary. **Our diocese sends men to the Josephenium in Columbus or to Mundelein.
[/quote]

My sentiments exactly which is why I don’t want to go there now.

One of the first things you should look for is to see if the Theology professors have a mandatum, in accordance with Pope John Paul II’s constitution Ex corde Ecclesiae. The document is, more or less, a statement of Church approval of their profession.

From their site:

Taking the mandatum is par for the course for Franciscan University’s Theology Department.

I’d say they’re pretty safe. This is, of course, in contrast to my own university (see my location), where none of the professors have one…

God Bless,
RyanL

My guardian angel led me to the Franciscan University of Steubenville for the grand total of an hour earlier this year. One Saturday, I felt strongly drawn to drive the roughly 2 hours there … being a nature photographer I wanted to see what kind of countryside might be there. Well, I took no pictures, but discovered that yes, I’d been meant to go there.

Turns out they were having Catholics Defending the Faith conference weekend … and as it happened, some persecution I’d been experiencing had been on my mind. So my angel wanted to show me that yes, there are other actual practicing Catholics out there willing to live their faith despite opposition. First I found an Adoration Chapel, filled (and I DO mean FILLED!!) :slight_smile: :thumbsup: with prayerful people, including priests, nuns, college students, some saying rosaries.

Then I was drawn to walk a certain direction … and ended up standing in a group all right next to … of all people … Father Mitch Pacwa !!! :o What a tremendously uplifting and heartening surprise! He was fielding questions from people and discussing such things as an EWTN program he was on that would be airing soon, and orthodoxy and active Catholic faith in Lebanon.

I then drove the two hours back home. But it was well worth four hours on the road to simply be at the Franciscan University of Steubenville for a single hour.

~~ the phoenix

Three thoughts:

1. I graduated from FUS and charismatic spirituality won’t be pushed on you at all, in fact the campus life has taken turn towards being less charismatic over the past 5 years, not more. Also, very few of the professors are charismatic and they don’t ever talk about it in class, in my experience. When you are there in the summer the only thing that is happening on campus is the summer conferences, there is little to no student life outside of it and that is really where you would find charismatic life anyway.
  2. Not that it’s really related but I know a LOT of charismatics who are also 3rd order Carmelites, and have seen that charismatic life and contemplative life often go together and aren’t mutually exclusive :slight_smile:
  3. Have you looked in the STL program at Sacred Heart Seminary? It is being headed up by Ralph Martin and has mostly/all professors who have pontifical degrees. Ralph is completely solidly orthodox and his program is great. Depending on what you want to do with your Masters in Theology getting an STL may be even more practical. Just a suggestion.

[quote=Anthony’s Mom]Three thoughts:

1. I graduated from FUS and charismatic spirituality won’t be pushed on you at all, in fact the campus life has taken turn towards being less charismatic over the past 5 years, not more. Also, very few of the professors are charismatic and they don’t ever talk about it in class, in my experience. When you are there in the summer the only thing that is happening on campus is the summer conferences, there is little to no student life outside of it and that is really where you would find charismatic life anyway.

[/quote]

That’s kind of what I heard, but your post confirms it.

1. Not that it’s really related but I know a LOT of charismatics who are also 3rd order Carmelites, and have seen that charismatic life and contemplative life often go together and aren’t mutually exclusive :slight_smile:

As I stated, the mix is not for me personally. Contemplation seeks the face of God and detachment is instrumental to that. I don’t want to go much further than that, other than to say that for me mixing charismatic activities and prayer into my routine simply would take away from the contemplative life I seek.

1. Have you looked in the STL program at Sacred Heart Seminary? It is being headed up by Ralph Martin and has mostly/all professors who have pontifical degrees. Ralph is completely solidly orthodox and his program is great. Depending on what you want to do with your Masters in Theology getting an STL may be even more practical. Just a suggestion.

I have eye-balled this program, but I would need to take a lot more background classes. Looking at the schedule this time around, I’m not interested in who’s teaching. However, I may entertain the S.T.L. after I complete the MA in Theology. Many of the background classes would be complete this way.

my dad’s taking distance learning classes from steubie… i listen to the tapes; they’re good.

Definitely orthodox.

I might even find myself at steubie in another two years… not sure though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.