Frank Sheed

Frank Sheed is my favorite catholic author and his masterpiece *Theology and Sanity *is my favorite catholic book. I’ve been looking to find another author who writes like Sheed and I’ve yet to find one. The closest I’ve ever come is Fulton Sheen’s Life of Christ. Anyone know of someone on a writing level with Frank Sheed?

You might want to read some of G.K. Chesterton.

Peter J. Kreeft, author, surfer, B.C. Professor wrote “*Catholic Christianity” * which helped bring come from the depths of a self inflicted Hell (in prison), Home to Jesus Christ, our Lord & Savior & the Truth of the Catholic Faith!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

thanks guys but I’ve read both Chesterton (The Everlasting Man and Orthodoxy), and Peter Kreeft and in my humble opinion, I feel neither is in Sheed’s league. That’s what bums me out, I wish there were other guys who could write about theological issues with the detailed knowledge as well as the ability to be interesting and the very opposite of boring that Sheed had.

Try reading Pope Benedict/Joseph Ratzinger books. Although he is not Catholic, you might like Alexander Schmemann. His book For The Life of the World is excellent. His books tend to be commentaries on the liturgy.

I read Jesus of Nazareth, an outstanding book, I wish he’d do second book covering the reminder of Christ’s life though. *Jesus of Nazareth *doesn’t cover his whole life, it ends well before the crucifixion, the Pope said he finished it early because he wasn’t sure how much more time he had here on earth and didn’t want to die leaving it incompleted. Well, he’s still here, lets have a part 2 of Jesus of Nazareth

I think that’s the plan. Part two covers the Pascal Mystery.

His other books are very good as well. Try Called To Communion. It is short but very good.

Quid,

I just don’t know that you’ll find what you’re looking for. I find in Sheed that which exists in the writings of Chesterton and CS Lewis. There is a certain rhetorical flair and Victorian manner of expression, which is simply lost on late 20th century Catholic authors writing in English.

Fulton J. Sheen has written a huge number of books, so if you like him you might want to continue exploring the rest of his works. As much as I like Sheed’s

Theology and Sanity

, I think that in the long run the breadth of Bishop Sheen’s works will do even more for you.

P.S.

Theology and Sanity

is one of my all time favorites.

Here is Sheed on the Miracle of Cana:

"For a second time we hear Mary speak “They have no wine.”…Reading his answer: “Woman what is that to me and to thee? My hour is not yet come.” – we would get the impression not only that he did not mean to solve it, but that he saw no reason why he should. Hearing his answer, she knew that he would. She had suggested a miracle, and she knew she would get it. She said to the waiters: “Do whatever he tells you,” and that is the last word we ever hear from her. If there must be a last word from her, there could hardly be better. …

Jesus’ words sound like a refusal – triply so; for he not only gave two reasons why he should take no action at all, he prefaced them with the word “Woman.” No one today would address his wife or mother as Woman, save in anger; and she would retort as angrily. The word Woman has become a term of contempt. One wonders why. The progress of civilization, perhaps. Certainly it was not in the time of Jesus. It was formal, rather ceremonial perhaps, not for everyday use: the Roman Emperor Augustus officially addressed Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt, as Woman.

The phrase, “What is that to me and to thee? …contains some element of negation, at its best something like: “Let’s leave it alone.” or “Why should we concern ourselves?” …But how could he work a miracle after having said, “My hour is not yet come.”…Once he has begun is public teaching, it always means the time he should die and be glorified by his Father. That meaning would not fit here. Evidently it means that the moment has not come to show his power to the eyes of men.

Then two surprises: Mary knows that he will show it all the same. One minute his hour has not yet come, the next it had….Mary could have asked him to work a miracle thus publicly only at the command of the Holy Spirit: it was not in her nature to thrust bright ideas of her own on her Son. She asked him as she was bid, and the Holy Spirit moved him to do what she asked. Thus Mary, who by her obedience had brought her Son into life, now by his obedience brought him into public life."

I love writers like Sheed also. Although very different, I find the same kind of exegesis in Fr. Robert Barron’s books – things that stick in your mind long after having read them.

Here are some reading selections from “And Now I See” – click about and see if you like it or not.

payingattentiontothesky.com/reading-selections-from-and-now-i-see/

dj

Thanks for the suggestion djeter, I’ll check him out. Didn’t you used to post at the Amazon.com Religion Forum? man what a nightmare that place is, instead of “Religion” forum they should rename it the “Militant atheists and gays who hate religious people” Forum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.