Frankincense Myrrh Incense & Oil

I was advised by a Roman Catholic to burn Frankincense and Myrrh incense in my home ---- as is done in church. It has been mentioned in the Bible, especially the Old Testament. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, while on the subject, I was also advised to annoint our home with Frankincense and Myrrh Oil from the Holy Land. We've had a number of personal challenges, thus the advice. Any knowledge reference these will be greatly appreciated! Thank you, and God bless you!

who gave this advice?
was it a priest?
did he give further counsel about those problems you are facing?
you can certainly burn the type of incense approved for household use in the proper utensil at home as part of your devotions, and you can use blessed oil (not chrism or the other oils blessed by the bishop, but the simple sacramental) at home if your bishop permits (ours has warned against it). But none of this addresses the wider question. Whose advice are you following? What other help are you getting for the problems you imply will be aided by these practices? Why do you want to use them? don’t know how myrrh would be used but certainly not by burning, any more than you would burn oil. If anyone in your home has asthma you had better ask the doctor before introducing anything with a strong fragrance much less burning it.

Hello Puzzleannie. Thank you for your response. To answer your question: It was a layperson who advised reference the incense & oil use as part of a prayer for our home and our family. Since it was a layperson, this is why I questioned the advice. As I am sure you will agree, a priest’s advice in such matters should not be questioned. The oil was to be used to anoint each wall in our home (in a discrete spot), on our foreheads, and the incense was to be used as part of prayer and meditation. I’ve been informed by said person that it is an old school ritual in the Biblical sense. I do know that the incense and the oil are sold in a Catholic shop affiliated with an internationally, well-known and highly respected Cathedral in our area. I meant to ask our priest, but our Parish church has been hit quite severely with the Priest shortage crisis, and he is usually out or running out right after mass…… As for the steps we have taken, we have taken pragmatic and spiritual steps to address our challenges. Thank you for your concerns reference our health. Since we have not had any reactions during mass when the incense is being used (quite strongly I may add) as we sit near the alter, I don’t think we would have any health issues if we were to proceed as advised. Again, thank you kindly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.