Franklin Graham: Christian Hate Crime Growing in US

The son of Rev. Billy Graham says that the mass shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon on Thursday is proof that Christians are being persecuted in America.

In Oregon on Thursday, Chris Harper Mercer, reportedly singled out Christians for death at the college by asking the religion of potential victims before firing on them. Mercer was then shot and killed by law enforcement.

Witness Anastasia Boylan told CNN that the shoote said to one student as he fired at her: "ecause you’re a Christian, you’re going to see God in just about one second."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com newsmax.com/Newsfront/franklin-graham-shooting-christian/2015/10/03/id/694549/#ixzz3nWWyvTlf

This one incident is not proof of anything except that there are lunatics out there who should not be in possession of guns and need professional help. I rarely agree with the remarks of Franklin Graham and, once again, he has done nothing to change my opinion of his views by uttering this statement.

There’s plenty of proof that Franklin Graham is right! God Bless, Memaw

Did the Oregon shooter spare non-Christians?

The way I interpreted the shooter’s answer to his question was this: “Since you’re a Christian (and believe you’re going to Heaven when you die) you’ll be going to Heaven very soon, because I’m going to kill you.” And not: “I’m going to kill you because you’re a Christian.”

Why did he ask who was Christian, if he didn’t intend to shoot them and “send them to Heaven” ? God Bless, Memaw

The Oregon shooter was playing to an audience. He studied past shooters and picked out things from each that got the most attention like the “Christian question” from Columbine, the “poor me” manifesto from the California sorority shooter (and others) and the scripted online activity and statements similar to 2 or 3 past shooters. He was a cafeteria copycat, picking and choosing whatever he thought would get him the most attention. Don’t get suckered in by a twisted mind playing a twisted game.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.