Fraternal Correction question

Hello there,

I saw on the newadvent website a little about fraternal correction. My grandmother is in rehabilitation at a local nursing home. She is close to full health now, and eating meat is probably not necessary. I think she’s being fed meat on Fridays and now since it’s Lent, I think I should at least tell my dad to maybe request to simply substitute something for meat on Fridays. Am I obligated to say something? A lot of text for a simple question, sorry!

Peace,

Andrew K.

How old is your grandmother?

Honestly I believe anyone not preparing their own meals due to being in a hospital or similar institution is exempt from the obligation. And anyone frail or recovering is as well. The elderly are also exempt due to their age and different nutritional needs. If your grandmother is of sound mind and able to advocate for herself, it is only her decision to make. If she isn’t of sound mind then I would think Lenten obligations no longer apply to her simply for that reason alone. You can always ask your priest if you feel it’s necessary.

She’s not bound by the rule about meat on Fridays if she’s over 59 and lives in the U.S.
Don’t fret over it.

I agree.:slight_smile:

Such is NOT correct.

That is about “fasting” (ash weds and good friday).

NOT abstinence.

"Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are obligatory days of fasting and abstinence for Catholics. In addition, Fridays during Lent are obligatory days of abstinence.

For members of the Latin Catholic Church, the norms on fasting are obligatory from age 18 until age 59. When fasting, a person is permitted to eat one full meal, as well as two smaller meals that together are not equal to a full meal. The norms concerning abstinence from meat are binding upon members of the Latin Catholic Church from age 14 onwards."

usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/lent/catholic-information-on-lenten-fast-and-abstinence.cfm

From 14 until death…

(though one could be dispensed by ones Pastor if there is a need).

This exactly. And the fact that you’re considering telling your Dad and not your Grandmother indicates she isn’t making her own decisions, so she isn’t sinning. It doesn’t make sense to have your Dad abstain her from meat.

I would not concern yourself with it. The choices of food at rehab places are somewhat limited (I know from experience with my mother). It may be that she won’t eat enough protein if she doesn’t get meat (the elderly can have poor appetites and if she doesn’t like the food, she may not eat enough). You could ask the question, but I wouldn’t tell my dad he’s doing something wrong, because you don’t know if he is. And in my experience, dads do not enjoy parental correction, and if they’re not wrong anyway, it can become awkward.

–Jen

Ok thanks to all, greatly appreciate the input

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.