Fred Phelps, founder of 'rabid' Westboro Baptist Church, said near death

From the Christian Science Monitor:
Fred Phelps Sr., the founder of the Kansas church held in disgust worldwide for its antigay protests of prominent funerals, is in hospice care and “on the edge of death,” according to one of his estranged sons.

Nate Phelps posted the information on Facebook Saturday night, adding the revelation that his father had been excommunicated from the church in 2013. A church spokesman told the Topeka Capitol-Journal that Phelps was indeed in the hospice but that Nate Phelps “is not well informed.” The spokesman also refused to comment on the allegation that the elder Mr. Phelps has been excommunicated.
First of all,

Keep it classy, folks.

Secondly, if you would, in your charity, offer a quick prayer for him and his family, that would be appropriate. (For example, you could offer a quick prayer for his sincere contrition and conversion of heart prior to meeting his maker)

Third,

This brings up some interesting questions and an opportunity for speculation that is perfect for a forum.

For example, what do you think will happen to WBC once he’s gone? Do you think they will reform? Or do you think they’ll carry on with their protests? Or do you think that they’ll fold?

Oh, and let’s keep, as much as possible, the discussion away from political parties. I do not think that it is fair to blame the Democrat Party for the conduct of one of their lifelong members. I would certainly hope that my fellow conservatives will not try to besmirch the entire Democratic Party because of this one member.* (I only say this because, if peoples’ past history holds true, somebody is going to make the allegation that he was a conservative or a Republican…and I just want to get that one out of the way)*

I suspect that this Church will fall apart soon. It is mostly just the one extended family centered around a central charismatic patriarch anyway. Perhaps they will find a new leader that will step in for the sake of fame, or a less charismatic descendent will step up.

Agreed. My God have mercy on his soul

The world will be a bit brighter, however, I think his daughters will continue their unfortunate profession

Praying …

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

?
I can’t see how the Democratic Party would have anything to do with this person’s rude, insensitive conduct regarding gay people.
I can’t imagine anyone here making such an illogical connection…
Does Phelps himself do so??

Look at the link. MJ is not hardly a right-wing rag. (BTW, he even ran for office several times)

In this country, people join political parties by way of their voter registration. Parties aren’t able to kick members out.

Either party.

On edit: let’s try to keep the thread non political.

May God have mercy on his soul

I suspect that WBC has been under new leadership since August and will carry on as usual. It will be interesting to see who shows up at Mr. Phelps’s funeral.

Fred Phelps’ life has been wasted, and he has hurt many with intent. May he repent of his transgressions before he expires. Rob :frowning:

Best I can do on this is pray

“Lord I leave him to your most perfect mercy and most perfect justice”

And leave it at that.

The entire Phelps clan are lawyers; they make their living suing municipalities for infringing on their 1A rights.

In all honesty I’d be amazed if they believed anything they said. For them the rhetoric is just work.

In the end, I hope he will repent for the personal and well documented savagery that he imposed on his family and later outwardly, to the grieving families of fallen soldiers in the service of their country. He was “excommunicated” by his church, and I hope this was due to the fact that he found his way back to Christ, love and mercy.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

God have mercy on him, a sinner. . .

and on all of us, sinners as well.

Matthew 5: 43: You have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thy enemy. [44] But I say to you, Love your enemies: do good to them that hate you: and pray for them that persecute and calumniate you: [45] That you may be the children of your Father who is in heaven, who maketh his sun to rise upon the good, and bad, and raineth upon the just and the unjust.

[46] For if you love them that love you, what reward shall you have? do not even the publicans this? [47] And if you salute your brethren only, what do you more? do not also the heathens this? [48] Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect.

Oh, I disagree, I think someone will step up and take control of it, and I assume they will continue with their protesting as well. If the WBC does not continue, an ‘off-shoot’ group will form, (probably from former members of the WBC),with the same kind of views and they will do the protests.

I should mention, I do not really have a problem with them protesting homosexuality, that is good, but Im not sure why they protest clearly heterosexual peoples funerals…what do they have to do with the gay community?

Id also be curious to hear some of their other beliefs, besides the gay issue, Im sure they have them, but have never heard any of them discussed…has anyone else on here?

I do not really have a problem with them protesting homosexuality, that is good, but Im not sure why they protest clearly heterosexual peoples funerals…what do they have to do with the gay community?

You should probably investigate this before publicly defending them.

If this man is in hospice I am not sure of his state of mind. I certainly hope that if the church continues they will cease their controversial activities especially the protests at funerals.
I couldnt understand how anyone calling themselves a christian could justify that.
This man caused much disgrace among the baptist community a baptist friend told me.

OK, here is the problem: Phelps and the Westboro Church were ultimately only doing what the bible says. So is it them, or us, who are the cafeteria Christians? Go ahead, look right there, not just the old but the new testament, it clearly states exactly what the placards the church members hold say.

And this is the same thing I argue when people say “oh slavery is anti-Christian” Um, no, it’s not, the bible is very pro-slavery, it simply states a few vague guidelines on how you treat your slaves. There is not even one line in the bible condemning slavery, and again there is no line in the bible that would condemn what Phelps did.

:rolleyes:
God does not hate anyone. There’s a starter.

Praying for his soul. :gopray:

*Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9(NIV) - Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB) - "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
Jude 1:6-7 (NASB) - And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day, just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire. *

Not hateful, eh?

Are you OK with them protesting homosexual people’s funerals? Unrepentant sinner or not, I’m not comfortable with the idea of protesting anyone’s funeral. I just can’t see how you could protest a funeral out of love.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.