Free will again

That free will thread was a good one, but is now closed.

To Hitetlen (et al.):

Does free will really exist? I think it might be a neurological illusion. It seems to me that every action I take or decision I make is based entirely on the sum of all my prior particular experiences and on the inherent disposition/temperament/mind I was born with. Chance plays a role, too. Most actions I take, I think, are fairly predictable to me and would probably be predictable to an outside observer if he/she knew everything about me. I think our brain does a good job of making us feel like autonomous, independent conscious beings, but I think I might just be a robot, with emotions.

[quote=norbert]That free will thread was a good one, but is now closed.

To Hitetlen (et al.):

Does free will really exist? I think it might be a neurological illusion. It seems to me that every action I take or decision I make is based entirely on the sum of all my prior particular experiences and on the inherent disposition/temperament/mind I was born with. Chance plays a role, too. Most actions I take, I think, are fairly predictable to me and would probably be predictable to an outside observer if he/she knew everything about me. I think our brain does a good job of making us feel like autonomous, independent conscious beings, but I think I might just be a robot, with emotions.
[/quote]

You have to know your limitations. You cannot see outside of time or with the eyes of God to see how you freely respond to or reject God’s grace.

Assuming you have a reasonable idea of why you are Catholic (if not, it’s OK to say so), you should heed the teaching of the Church that Jesus gave you, and believe you have free will. This is one subject that you’re really not going to be able to probe with mere physical senses or feelings.

It is precisely such a subject where the Church’s teachings will safeguard you from thinking that evil is just something that happens and that you might as well give into it anyway. Your soul is too important.

[quote=norbert]That free will thread was a good one, but is now closed.
[/quote]

Hitetlen left a lot of questions and posts without answer. All he did was to praise the true of maths and the falseness of God. Little hope if man does not use reason… properly.

[quote=DeFide]You have to know your limitations. You cannot see outside of time or with the eyes of God to see how you freely respond to or reject God’s grace.

Assuming you have a reasonable idea of why you are Catholic (if not, it’s OK to say so), you should heed the teaching of the Church that Jesus gave you, and believe you have free will. This is one subject that you’re really not going to be able to probe with mere physical senses or feelings.

It is precisely such a subject where the Church’s teachings will safeguard you from thinking that evil is just something that happens and that you might as well give into it anyway. Your soul is too important.
[/quote]

I am Catholic, but I don’t know that I chose the faith. Probably like most people here, I was born into a Catholic family and raised in the faith. From early on, the importance of strictly following the tenets of the Church was impressed upon me by my family and schooling, as was the horror of hell for those who choose not to believe. I’ve kept with the faith largely because of that experience, I think.

[quote=doomhammer]Hitetlen left a lot of questions and posts without answer. All he did was to praise the true of maths and the falseness of God. Little hope if man does not use reason… properly.
[/quote]

I could hardly answer in a closed thread, but I attempted to answer as many as I could. I don’t much like that threads are closed prematurely, but of course the mods make those decisions, and that is their prerogative. Moreover, the answers rarely dealt with the question I proposed, so maybe it is not a big loss.

[quote=norbert]I am Catholic, but I don’t know that I chose the faith. Probably like most people here, I was born into a Catholic family and raised in the faith. From early on, the importance of strictly following the tenets of the Church was impressed upon me by my family and schooling, as was the horror of hell for those who choose not to believe. I’ve kept with the faith largely because of that experience, I think.
[/quote]

Ah, OK. No problem. It’s about time you made it your own. :slight_smile:

When you get some time, look into some of the basics of the reasons for our faith:

catholic.com/library/Proving_Inspiration.asp

This next one is somewhat similar:
geocities.com/thecatholicconvert/staplessolascriptura.html

And if you want to make Christianity in general your own as well, I’d recommend The Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft & Fr. Tacelli, some of which you can get the flavor of by looking over the upper right hand section of this page:

peterkreeft.com/featured-writing.htm

And also:
peterkreeft.com/featured-writing_more.htm

Start with the first link and take a break with the last two if you get tired or overwhelmed. There’s no rush.

As you read, don’t hesitate to come back and ask questions! Have fun!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.