Freedom of Conscience

Vatican II didn’t say freedom of conscience. Is there a document in Vatican II which references to that? Thanks.

Vatican II’s )Declaration on Religious Freedom**Dignitatis Humanae makes some reference to freedom of conscience. For instance, in paragraph 3, it says:
In all his activity a man is bound to follow his conscience in order that he may come to God, the end and purpose of life. It follows that he is not to be forced to act in manner contrary to his conscience. Nor, on the other hand, is he to be restrained from acting in accordance with his conscience, especially in matters religious.

Good quote todd…I might add if I may GS 16…

1. In the depths of his conscience, man detects a law which he does not impose upon himself, but which holds him to obedience. Always summoning him to love good and avoid evil, the voice of conscience when necessary speaks to his heart: do this, shun that. For man has in his heart a law written by God; to obey it is the very dignity of man; according to it he will be judged.(9) Conscience is the most secret core and sanctuary of a man. There he is alone with God, Whose voice echoes in his depths.(10) In a wonderful manner conscience reveals that law which is fulfilled by love of God and neighbor.(11) In fidelity to conscience, Christians are joined with the rest of men in the search for truth, and for the genuine solution to the numerous problems which arise in the life of individuals from social relationships. Hence the more right conscience holds sway, the more persons and groups turn aside from blind choice and strive to be guided by the objective norms of morality. Conscience frequently errs from invincible ignorance without losing its dignity. The same cannot be said for a man who cares but little for truth and goodness, or for a conscience which by degrees grows practically sightless as a result of habitual sin.

Is conscience important? Yes…because we will be judged upon it. So if you trangress your conscience, you are in trouble.
The Church is the primary informant of your conscience…its teacher.

My friend just asked what GS is…lol

GS= Gaudium et Spes
LG= Lumen Gentium
SC= Sacrosanctum Concilium
DV= Dei Verbum

Some “reformers” took it that to mean that we can follow our own conscience and don’t have to obey the Church. I get the impression that this qoute here “Nor, on the other hand, is he to be restrained from acting in accordance with his conscience, especially in matters religious” is saying that we can follow our own conscience. Did I miss something?

We should follow our conscience, but one that is properly formed. And, an erroneous conscience that is followed does not always mean one is non culpable. in other words, following one’s conscience does not always mean one is free from sin.

1790 A human being must always obey the certain judgment of his conscience. If he were deliberately to act against it, he would condemn himself. Yet it can happen that moral conscience remains in ignorance and makes erroneous judgments about acts to be performed or already committed.

1791 This ignorance can often be imputed to personal responsibility. This is the case when a man "takes little trouble to find out what is true and good, or when conscience is by degrees almost blinded through the habit of committing sin."59 In such cases, the person is culpable for the evil he commits.

“In all his activity a man is bound to follow his conscience in order that he may come to God, the end and purpose of life. It follows that he is not to be forced to act in manner contrary to his conscience. Nor, on the other hand, is he to be restrained from acting in accordance with his conscience, especially in matters religious.”

To me quote is not worded very well. And I think many people may have misunderstood it. Why couldn’t it just say that he should follow the teachings of the Church? The reason I ask is because we were talking about Vatican II and older folks told me how “you weren’t allowed to ask questions before Vatican II.” And one person said, that “Vatican II said we can follow our own conscience”. Which I know is not true. And these older folks justified this quote of Dignitatis Humanae to watch movies like, “The Final Temptations of Christ”, and the “Da Vinci Code.” Which of course is nonsense.

I am sure it is misunderstood. Like all teachings it must be understood in context and reconciled with all other teachings. I do not see it as proof that the Church claims we hold any false notion regarding autonomy of conscience.

I find some people tend to remember things in such a way they view everything through the drama of their upbringing. Everything is placed in such a way that we are to believe they were repressed by that authoritarian Church.

And one person said, that “Vatican II said we can follow our own conscience”. Which I know is not true. And these older folks justified this quote of Dignitatis Humanae to watch movies like, “The Final Temptations of Christ”, and the “Da Vinci Code.” Which of course is nonsense.

Gently suggest they read the CCC and explain how they hold the position they hold?

Bones[sign]And one person said, that “Vatican II said we can follow our own conscience”. Which I know is not true. And these older folks justified this quote of Dignitatis Humanae to watch movies like, “The Final Temptations of Christ”, and the “Da Vinci Code.” [/sign]

Ask your interlocutors if indeed they have actually read the Declaration of Religious Freedom.

It is in accordance with their dignity as persons-that is, beings endowed with reason and free will and therefore privileged to bear personal responsibility-that all men should be at once impelled by nature and also bound by a moral obligation to seek the truth, especially religious truth. They are also bound to adhere to the truth, once it is known, and to order their whole lives in accord with the demands of truth.

Anyone seeking truth would be better to read the catechism of the Catholic Church which has numerous citations from Vatican II and abounds with scriptural quotes. Relying on pop movies to inform one’s conscience is intellectual dishonesty and quite frankly, laziness.

Thanks guys. This helps. I get so angry every time someone misreads Vatican II. Matter of fact, people even told me before Vatican II is was harder to enter the Church. Is that true? I’m only 29 so I wouldn’t know. I’m a young pup yet. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.