Freemasons

On another thread I mentioned that my ex-business partner was a Catholic and a member of the freemasons. Is this possible?
It came up in the context of the Michael Richards news that he is a catholic and a freemason.

I asked him how he can be both and his answer was “I’m not a very good Catholic”

It can be true, but that doesn’t mean it’s good.

I’m supposed to go to a freemason dinner next month as his guest. I’m not catholic but I’m only interested in making business contacts there. I don’t know much about the organization.

Lots of Catholics are Masons, but that aint Kosher. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a secret society with funny little handshakes and rituals that once you become a member, you’re obliged not to discuss with outsiders.

An interesting correlation exists between the rituals found in freemasonry and the Mormon temple rituals.

For the most part, I don’t believe the funny little men you see driving little bitty cars with a fez on their heads in parades are all that fearsome. Any secret society carries with it the potential for abuses though. I think the main problem The Catholic church has with them is the fact that it’s a secret society, full of funky little superstitions, and magic handshakes.

My great-grandpa was a mason which means that I could join the female branch if I wanted to. I am not at this point going to do that, though. My grandma was in the branch for little girls, my great-grandma was in the female one, and my grandpa was in the main one. They didn’t like it much because you had to bow down to certain people.

What is the Catholic Church’s official position on Freemasonry? Are Catholics free to become Freemasons?

Freemasonry is incompatible with the Catholic faith. Freemasonry teaches a naturalistic religion that espouses indifferentism, the position that a person can be equally pleasing to God while remaining in any religion.

Masonry is a parallel religion to Christianity. The states, “Freemasonry displays all the elements of religion, and as such it becomes a rival to the religion of the Gospel. It includes temples and altars, prayers, a moral code, worship, vestments, feast days, the promise of reward and punishment in the afterlife, a hierarchy, and initiative and burial rites” (vol. 6, p. 137). …

The Church has imposed the penalty of excommunication on Catholics who become Freemasons. The penalty of excommunication for joining the Masonic Lodge was explicit in the 1917 code of canon law (canon 2335), and it is implicit in the 1983 code (canon 1374).

1917 Can 2335. Nomen dantes sectae massonicae aliisve eiusdem generis associationibus quae contra Ecclesiam vel legitimas civiles potestates machinantur, contrahunt ipso facto excommunicationem Sedi Apostolicae simpliciter reservatam.

1983 Can. 1374 A person who joins an association which plots against the Church is to be punished with a just penalty; however, a person who promotes or directs an association of this kind is to be punished with an interdict.

Here is a link with info on Freemasonry: scripturecatholic.com/freemasonfaq.html

This is the product of years of poor, dead catechesis. I would bet almost anything that your friend has had poor instruction throughout his life, and would have an incredibly difficult time explaining many core Catholic beliefs. Not that this is purely his fault, I just think it’s horrible to see another example of what has happened to so much of the Church:( . I bet he has alot of other more important things he needs to be taught before he is taught why to leave the freemasons.

Here is what HH Pope Leo XIII said about free masonry:

HUMANUM GENUS
ENCYCLICAL OF POPE LEO XIII
ON FREEMASONRY

vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_18840420_humanum-genus_en.html

I am shocked by this.
I was under the impression that being a Freemason would get one excommunicated from the CC:confused:
I have studied Freemasonry for some time and believe me it IS a religion not a “club of men with little hats”. That is only the Shriners which while made up of Freemasons is a seperate organization alltogether.
Freemasonry is far more serious than that.
A religion it is.
WP

Yup. Although a lot of mainstream Protestants belong to the Masons (good grief: that saintly man, George Washington!), serious Protestants as well as Catholics agree with you.

He’s very knowledgable on the doctrine. He’s just doesn’t believe in it.

Freemasons have been hoodwinked by the master deciever Lucifer. This is the god they serve.:eek:

There’s only one God. Are you a polytheist??

Even worse then…he doesn’t have that lovely ‘get-out-of-jail free card’ of ignorance, and instead is just in willful defiance of the Church:( .

I believe most US presidents have some affiliation with freemasonry, with the exception being John F. Kennedy. I can’t cite a source on that, it’s just something I’ve heard.

Here you go.
Masonic Presidents

Vice Presidents & Freemasonry

Wake up America: United States Presidents
and The Masonic Power Structure
< scroll down a little halfway on the webpage and you’ll see that Washington DC is built with the symbols of Freemasonry.

Yes JFK our former President was not a Freemason. But it is believed that he was killed so that a Freemason can again hold the power. The Masonic Power Structure, Part 3. < scroll down, he is the 3rd president on that list and each list has a lot of info.

Secret Societies

And lookie here… our own Pres and former Pres Bush are in the Skull & Bones Society… scroll down to see both of their names.

This has been discussed at great length on these forums mostly in the Apologetics section. Please do a search.

I,m in agreement with you. There is only one God. There are many false gods.We do have the same Father.:thumbsup:

It’s a secret society with funny little handshakes and rituals. full of funky little superstitions, and magic handshakes.

Freemasonry is NOT a secret society. Go on the net and information is freely available.

Anyone is eligible for membership providing they are not aethiest.

There are no susperstitions or magic handshakes. That is prejudice borne out of ignorance.

Freemasonry teaches a naturalistic religion

It is no more a religion than the local cricket or bowles club. They do not ‘teach religion’, but they DO sing Christian hymns and the National Anthem. They also do an absolutely excellent 3-course dinner [at the end of every meeting] which ALWAYS starts with ‘grace’ and ends with thanking God for what they have received.

The ‘Ritual’ is no more ritualistic than any other organisational meeting. It is simply a ‘lads’ club for the men and a ‘ladies’ club for the women. There are ‘ladies nights’ no different to 'dining in nights in a military establishment.

I used to be in the Knights of St Columba. After a very busy day, the last thing I wanted was to go to meetings where folk abused and shouted at each other. I was not happy at how they intimidated parishioners [particularly targetting the poorer and more vulnerable ones] to be cajoled into buying raffle tickets etc.

My brother is a freemason. I often accompany him to various functions. I have read the ‘rites of the ritual’. It is actually very similar to that which we do in the Ancient Order of Druids, which is NOT freemasonry. The men are ALWAYS VERY POLITE, COURTIOUS and CIVIL to each other and guests. I have ALWAYS been made to feel very welcome.

The KSC has a long way to go before it is worthy to be on an equal footing with Freemasonry :mad:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.