Freezing a Body

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen to the soul if someone has passed away and their body was kept frozen for a century. A century from their death, scientists are able to revitalize the corpse – does this body have a soul? Did the soul ever leave the body? If it did, was it just shot back down from heaven (or purgatory) when the body was revitalized?

Well, what does that tell us? Death is the separation of body and soul. If somehow the person can be revived through scientific means such as through advanced cryogenics, then it means the soul had not departed and person had not yet passed away. It’s as simple as that.

I agree with that.

The soul leaves, the body dies. Or, as the body dies, the soul leaves. Either way, the soul immediately appears before Christ for judgement.

Actually, the separated soul will separate from the body to heaven, to purgatory, or to hell, and the judgment before Christ is at the resurrection. The soul can “be places” but not “appear” without its body.

A “living” body is one that moves itself, in growth and reproduction, or additionally moves in location. A soul, “animator”, is present in a living body, holding together all the elements of the body as a singular thing (a body) moving as “one”. When there is death, decay begins (no more unified being) but only all the elements near each other and breaking away from each other. Freezing severely retards the decay, but it still happens. You might say, what if the temperature were set to absolute zero… no decay. But even that would destroy the body and it would become a mini black hole, because the gravity of the matter would pull all atoms together since they now have no sub-atomic forces maintaining distance between particles and atoms.

The soul, when it cannot actualize its self-understanding in a body, leaves the body.

But…what if the revived person is made up of different parts, as happened with Dr. Frankenstein’s monster? Which person’s soul did *he *have? Hmm? If it could be done 200 years ago, I’m pretty sure we can still do it today.

I’m not sure why I’m even attempting to answer this question tbh as the idea seems desperate and perverse to me. God gives life and God takes it away.

As soon as the soul leaves the body there is decay… there would be decay before the body is frozen (while I assume attempts are made to revive the body), decay during thawing, and decay while they attempt to somehow revive the corpse. I’m not sure whether you’ve noticed but all living cells need water… and when you thaw a piece of meat, it’s never in quite the same condition that it was in beforehand.

Frankenstein is fiction.

Oh…really?

Tell that to Mel Brooks.

Just realized that you’re not the OP so your Frankenstein comment was likely tongue-in-cheek.

But now that you mention Mel Brooks, yes, you can’t argue with that. It’s definitely historical.

My apologies.

Don’t mean to derail the thread, because it’s actually an interesting question.

When I was in freshman year philosophy class, we discussed the classic question: if you replace a plank in a wood boat, is it the same boat?

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.