French Catholics praying reparation Rosary ejected from church by police

Jerusalem hath grievously sinned, therefore is she become unstable: all that honoured her have despised her, because they have seen her shame: but she sighed and turned backward. Her filthiness is on her feet, and she hath not remembered her end: she is wonderfully cast down, not having a comforter: behold, O Lord, my affliction, because the enemy is lifted up. The enemy hath put out his hand to all her desirable things: for she hath seen the Gentiles enter into her sanctuary, of whom thou gavest commandment that they should not enter into thy church.

From the Lamentations of Jeremiah

You are right. It is very sad.

However it is also a teachable moment.

This sort of thing is what exposes the true face of integralists and of radical traditionalists. I think it is something every Catholic needs to see.

It is not really about “we just want to be allowed a space for liturgy in the Vetus ordo.” They are faithless in that complete submission they owe to those who have jurisdiction over them and the governance of them.

These are important moments also for the Bishops and for the presbyterates – for it is in these moments that all of us who are clergy see these people unmasked.

Where does it stop? Where is Our Lady and John the Apostle? Where is a 100 year Fatima stamp? This is absolutely crazy:

No where near Luther and his fellow heresiarch, that’s for sure.

Oh, there is one. Have to throw the neo-cons their bone! The trads aren’t fooled, though.

My apologies. I’ve not seen it.

You are, as I recall, a teacher in a Catholic school in Ireland. I dare say that your Bishop would be in complete accord that the decision for the churches in the Archdiocese of Paris rests with his confrere in the College of Bishops, Cardinal Vingt-Trois. Not renegade lay people. It is His Eminence who has governance over Notre-Dame-des-Blancs-Manteaux and the decision rests with him to have whatever liturgy he determines is to be carried out without question and without objection.

The Holy See has approved of these Joint Services of Common Prayer, which I myself have co-presided at. We had nothing of this in those I have participated in – but we would have sought all possible civil penalties against any Catholic so insolent as to try to disrupt what had been approved by ecclesiastical authority.

Frankly, it would be an opportunity to warn the faithful of both confessions about the danger of radicals. One would not need words or explanations as they will have seen this reality with their own eyes an heard with their own ears.

@Don_Ruggero,

The Catechism defines heresy as,

the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same.

Protestants are heretics. I don’t see how anyone can deny that. True, today’s protestants may not share in the gravity of what Luther did; true, referring to protestants as heretics in most situations is probably not ecumenically prudent given its connotations. However, if it’s true that the parish produced a website and several youtube videos which attempt to justify Luther and his actions; if it’s true the parish made unqualified statements as “If the [Catholic] Church today proclaims, studies, and announces the Gospel, we owe this to the Protestant communities, we owe this to Martin Luther and his love of Scripture,” frankly, I can understand these protestors concerns.

Does that make me an integralists or radical traditionalists? Are my views “faithless” and needing to be “exposed”?

That sounds as ridiculous to me as,

Some of the posts here seem a tad extreme, alarmist, reactionary from both ends.

I feel like this is an understatement, but am at a loss for words.

God Bless You

That is not an absolute. Do you really believe there is no line where a layman can question and object?

The Holy See approves of Joint Services of Common Prayer, but not this specific one. The general approval from the Holy See does not mean anything goes.

Have you read the published rubrics and suggested texts that were promulgated by the Holy See for the Joint Service of Common Prayer? I assure you I know them quite well – from the creation o this liturgy through to my own use of it.

Co-presiding at this liturgy was, without question, an apex of my priesthood…as I gave reflection on where we were 50 years ago, the work across the decades that has brought us to this moment – after emerging from a very dark era that we have put behind us to today – when we have this liturgy of common prayer. A liturgy done together, with my Lutheran counterpart and I co-presiding, because of our mutual recognition of the other’s ministry – and she and I together blessing the assembly at the end of this historic commemoration.

And, knowing coming initiatives, the path ahead is a very bright one indeed.

And what was the response?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.