French secularism: More than 100 years of 'laïcité'

First, we take a look back at these past 110 years of secularism in France.

Next, we examine how these secular principles are applied in towns and cities across the country and how they touch our daily lives.

Finally, we see how learning Republican values is something that begins at a very early age.

france24.com/en/20160108-france-focus-secularism-laicite-france-education-religion-history

In the video report the little student in the classroom parrots the adults around him like a good parrot and states that the definition of secularism is that no one can tell you what to do or believe but he is not aware that it’s the Secular Liberal philosopher (like Jeremy Bentham in the Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-American societies) that tells him what to do and what to believe about the society he lives in.

Sorry but the 2004 law sounds no different than the state sanctioned atheism of the Soviet Union.

You know a law and be well intentioned and still fail. The perception of France as a land of empty Churches is not entirely accurate. It was written by a French man who was saying that he had a hard time finding a place to sit at Mass on Sundays and he goes to a larger church and belongs to a larger parish. Now of course there are empty churches in France just as there are empty churches in England. I think the problem with France is that there is this mistaken impression that something new or something so called progressive is somehow something better. The Constitution of the United States mentioned the Creator so this is why most of us don’t have such a big deal with referring to God in public discourse. I think if more Theistic French people were vocal about their belief in God then one of two things will happen either they sound insane or people will listen or people will listen because they sound insane so I guess there’s a third thing. I think the problem is is that people tie the Church to a corrupt monarchy, but I think that’s unfair because, by that same logic you shouldn’t they tie the French revolutionaries to a corrupt enlightenment? France is the land where many of the churches are actually owned by the government maybe you take that away you take away the problem. Although from my understanding France is not the only country where the churches are owned by the government. Yes I know it is not all churches but still the government should not be messing around with what the churches do. The US Constitution does not specifically mention the separation of church and state and here I believe it has traditionally been that the government was supposed to stay out of the church’s affairs, but this has become somehow interpreted as being the other way around. I think that the hostility towards religion in the Western world really needs to stop. One thing that seems frustrating to me is the belief that people who are religious are uneducated. Maybe the people of France are still Christian somewhere. Like I said at least some of the churches are full.

The problem for the French is what do you do with the people that say ‘stick your secularism, I couldn’t care less about it. You have no right to tell me and my children what to think or how to behave’.

What do you do when the numbers of these people rise as they most definitely will. As i see it, the choices are then to be weak and fold or to be totalitarian against your own people.

This state secularism is built on a sense of the state having a right to define and suppress religious expression and use education to force children to think this is freedom.

It has been detrimental to society whenever it has been applied. I don’t see Frances’ secularism lasting another 100 years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.