French vs. Spanish spirits in Carmel?

I have been told that individual Carmel communities vary in spirit, and there is a difference between those with Spanish roots and those from France. Does each tend to emphasis certain forms of meditation over another? What might be a good source for learning more about the differences?
Thank you!

I believe you’re referring to the Touraine Reform, which originated in France in the 17th century. Although the Reform isn’t well-known, much of the spirituality and customs of the Touraine Reform have been incorporated into Carmelite tradition.

Touraine Reform Basis of Today’s Carmelite Culture

More here:
Carmelite Texts
Click on: Some Notes on the Touraine Reform

Carmelite in Formation—Asia

Thanks!

The Touraine Reform was more influential on the O Carms than on the Discalced Carmelites I think, but I am willing to be corrected if wrong.

I think the differences the OP is referring to are not from a particular reform, but from the difference in French and Spanish customs, and how they were adopted very early on in the life of the order. Such differences would not be anything fundamental, such as prayer habits. A couple examples of differences would be the exact cut of the habit, styles of building/formatting the monastery, minor customs such as which foods are/are not taken on fast days, etc. Keep in mind that this is normal in any religious order, and it has always been so. When an order founds in different countries with various cultures, minor customs changing and adopting is quite common. As long as it doesn’t touch the essentials of the life, there should be no problem.

Ad Jesum per Mariam,

Br. Benedict, O.C.D.

[quote="Cominghome89, post:5, topic:336003"]
I think the differences the OP is referring to are not from a particular reform, but from the difference in French and Spanish customs, and how they were adopted very early on in the life of the order. Such differences would not be anything fundamental, such as prayer habits. A couple examples of differences would be the exact cut of the habit, styles of building/formatting the monastery, minor customs such as which foods are/are not taken on fast days, etc. Keep in mind that this is normal in any religious order, and it has always been so. When an order founds in different countries with various cultures, minor customs changing and adopting is quite common. As long as it doesn't touch the essentials of the life, there should be no problem.

Ad Jesum per Mariam,

Br. Benedict, O.C.D.

[/quote]

This is very helpful, thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.