Frequency of confession for priests

CAF members,

A youth minister in my parish mentioned to a group of us the other day that “priests go to confession once a week.” I would think that this assertion is an overgeneralization and cannot be stated in such a broad and conclusive way. I may be wrong, however. Does anyone know the how frequently priests go to confession? In addition, is there a difference among order and diocesan priests?

Thanks for your help.

houston1

There are no special requirements imposed on priests regarding confession.

It’s a gross generalization, considering that they may be the the only priest for miles around. Not to mention that it’s none of our business how often they go to confession.

:thumbsup::confused::signofcross:

I think that is a generalization. However, My friends that are priests go about once a week though. No one really knows unless the subject comes up:shrug: I also have known some priests and Nuns and Popes have gone to daily confession.

That is a good point. One wonders why this would even be brought up. Perhaps an overzealous youth minister trying to encourage teens to confess. Perhaps trying to make the point that even people perceived as Holy confess often. It is probably made with good intentions but perhaps was not the best way to convince teens to go to confession.

Well, that’s not exactly accurate.

Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.

By stating that someone should not celebrate Mass when conscious of mortal sin, and given the fact that many, if not most, priests celebrate daily–which is what the Church encourages–it follows that a greater burden to immediately confess mortal sins rests on the shoulders of priests.

No. No one knows.

Although it would be none of my business, I would think my pastor goes to confession as often as needed (whatever that frequency might be).

It may be that religious-order priests couldbe required, as part of the discipline of their particular order, to confess at certain intervals, but I cannot say for sure.

Thank you all for answering my question. I agree that it is “none of my business” how often priests go to confession except if it inspires me to go more often.

May God bless you all.

houston1

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.