Frequnecy of Sacrament of Reconciliation

OK, so I know this is a fairly old-standing discussion but my DH and I were discussing it and I was wondering what everyone thought. I know the Church proscribes a MINIMUM of once a year on Good Friday for the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Most go more (cafeteria Catholics often go less :shrug:). Some go weekly. Some go daily. Some go “as needed.” My dh and I have been going seperately but would like to get on some kind of routine together and were trying to figure out how often we should go together. So how often do you go.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:1, topic:181069"]
OK, so I know this is a fairly old-standing discussion but my DH and I were discussing it and I was wondering what everyone thought. I know the Church proscribes a MINIMUM of once a year on Good Friday for the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Most go more (cafeteria Catholics often go less :shrug:). Some go weekly. Some go daily. Some go "as needed." My dh and I have been going seperately but would like to get on some kind of routine together and were trying to figure out how often we should go together. So how often do you go.

[/quote]

As often as I need it :)

That can vary; I always go at Advent and Lent. I went the 4th Sunday of Advent but was feeling the need again today so I went today. I had a rough year this past year with many family conflicts so tended to go more often than usual. But on average, I'd say my frequency varies around once ever 3 to 6 weeks. More if I really screw up! ;)

I put weekly, but I haven’t gone since I came to visit my parents for christmas. Thankfully I haven’t had a real reason to go since then :stuck_out_tongue:

My priest (Orthodox) recommends that we confess before every time we receive Holy Communion, which translates to one a week. I don't see how once a week would necessarily be a bad thing for anyone. It was the norm in many churches up until the past century or so. :(

In Christ,
Andrew

Once a week a bad thing? Absolutely not, nothing wrong with it.

Availability can be an issue though; in some local parishes priests are bouncing around from Mass to Mass so may not be available 1/2 hour before Mass to receive confessions. In other cases I have been to confessions where someone ahead of me took over 20 min. In fact that happened this morning, I thought I was going to miss the chance to confess before Mass. It was in the Abbey I normally attend Mass at; sometimes this happens, folks confuse confession with spiritual direction.

I pray Compline every night and there’s an examen of the conscience using one of the penitential rites; in private recitation the Confiteor works well. It’s not a sacramental confession, but it helps.

It’s not always the penitent - sometimes the priest takes his time if he feels the person needs help.

Betsy

A lot of people go every two weeks or first saturday.

I go generally every week or two, because I try to gain plenary indulgences for poor souls.

I did not vote because I did not see a “Not really any of your business” option.

There seems to be a lot of threads going on here as of late asking personal spiritual things that really no one has a right to know let alone ask in a public forum.

Sorry one of my pet peeves.

I go every month or two - depending mostly on when I am able to make my schedule coincide with the confession schedule.

I try to take my kids every 3 months or so.

My husband...well....

I said when I need to but there was no option for "every Lent & Advent". So it's really, every Lent and Advent and then whenever I know that I have committed a mortal sin.

I generally try to go every first Friday. Getting a routine of some type really has helped me alot. Knowing you are going to go also forces the first steps... examinination of conscience on a more thorough regular basis....

I apologize that you feel this way - however - it was only a concensus for help with spiritual formation of a couple. Also, your results is not posted as your result it is a percentage. Also, no where does it say you have to participate. I am sorry but coming on here and saying you want a none of your business option is like going to a grief group and saying you don’t want to talk about your grief or loss because it’s personal.

To gain the first saturday indulgences one must receive the sacrament of penance monthly. This is from Mary’s request to sister Lucia.

Pope Benedict XVI confesses weekly. I would look to the Pope’s example in obtaining guidance. Absolution of our sins is one of the greatest gifts we can receive from God.

Too often we lose track of the sacraments importance.
On a normal saturday,there are less than a dozen in line for confession at my parish.
Out of over 1200 registered families.
Or perhaps I have found the right group to attend mass with.

[quote="thomas_jd, post:13, topic:181069"]
To gain the first saturday indulgences one must receive the sacrament of penance monthly. This is from Mary's request to sister Lucia.

Pope Benedict XVI confesses weekly. I would look to the Pope's example in obtaining guidance. Absolution of our sins is one of the greatest gifts we can receive from God.

Too often we lose track of the sacraments importance.
On a normal saturday,there are less than a dozen in line for confession at my parish.
Out of over 1200 registered families.
Or perhaps I have found the right group to attend mass with.

[/quote]

Wow - I want to meet these 1188 families that don't sin too. ;) One day I went in for reconciliation during a scheduled reconciliation time when I was new to the area - granted it is a small area - but the Priest was preparing for mass, and seemed suprised anyone showed up for reconciliation. It is sad.

I’m not sure that knowing that Person X confesses weekly, Person Y confesses monthly, and Person Z confesses annually is very helpful. It’s like asking how often someone goes to Mass or how someone prays. It’s all very individual and based on the person’s personality, state in life, relationship with God, and other factors.

I don’t know that you and your husband necessarily need to go to confession at the same frequency. Perhaps one of you is dealing with issues that require more frequent confession than the other. Perhaps one of you has a spiritual director so seeing him or her may take the place of receiving spiritual help during confession. Both of you should do what’s most beneficial.

That being said, I do think it’s helpful to establish rhythms in your life. There may be things that you do daily, weekly, monthly, etc. If everything falls into the “whenever I feel like it” category, then they may never get done. (Or maybe that’s just me – if I say that I’ll pray “sometime” then it may never happen. If I say that I’ll pray at certain times of day then it becomes part of my life. Similarly, knowing that I always go on retreat during Lent, as Ash Wednesday approaches I know that it’s time to check my calendar and make a reservation. The change of liturgical season serves as a reminder.)

Think and pray about your own life and what would be most helpful to your relationship with God.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:12, topic:181069"]
I apologize that you feel this way - however - it was only a concensus for help with spiritual formation of a couple. Also, your results is not posted as your result it is a percentage. Also, no where does it say you have to participate. I am sorry but coming on here and saying you want a none of your business option is like going to a grief group and saying you don't want to talk about your grief or loss because it's personal.

[/quote]

Apples and oranges. A grief group is not a public forum.

Consensus is not the way for spiritual formation. Nor is the Sacrament of Reconciliation something for a couple. Each should work with a spiritual director or their confessor if they wish to figure out a frequency for themselves.

The poll is broken. A person can pick each option.

[quote="ByzCath, post:16, topic:181069"]
Apples and oranges. A grief group is not a public forum.

Consensus is not the way for spiritual formation. Nor is the Sacrament of Reconciliation something for a couple. Each should work with a spiritual director or their confessor if they wish to figure out a frequency for themselves.

[/quote]

And I do see your point, but I have read many times of families going together in order to teach their children the habit of going. Now, I am not saying that we go in and talk together I am saying the act of going together and confessing seperately at times may help with the unification aspect of the marriage just like I have read it has done for couples on this forum. I have also read that when couples did not do this it lead to disunity.

Also, yes the poll would be broken if people picked all the answers - but how would that be helpful. Maybe in terms of good Christian brother and sisterhood some people could realize that someone that goes monthly and when they feel need could pick two answers. Therefore the poll would not be broken.

The whole thing is - no one forces anyone to participate in these things- if you don't feel it's helpful then don't do it. Judging what I do or don't know is a bit judgemental.

I go once a month (usually the first or second week of the month depending on if my confessor is at my parish or the other parish he assists at… or one of has another commitment and has to move it up or back a week). As of late summer, we meet on Sunday morning after the first mass so we have more time to talk … since when we meet, we have spiritual direction as well as confession.

Why do you come to the conclusion that those who go to confession less often than more often are “cafeteria Catholics.” The Church says that one has to go to confession once a year (not necessariy on Good Friday or even during Easter season), if one has committed a grave sin. No one has the right to tell people how often they should go except perhaps that person’s spiritual director or confessor, and as ByzCath has stated it is really nobody else’s business.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.