Freshman 101 ~ How to survive a campus shooting

Send your kid to campus and the school will give them a survival class. Clearly school has changed since I attended. But at least this is a proactive move to edumacate our kids so they are not just sitting ducks.

Didn’t Columbine High School have an armed guard on campus who ran away?

Didn’t Northern Illinois University have dozens of armed security officers on staff who arrived within 3 minutes only to find out that the shootings only lasted about 90 seconds?

I applaud the efforts here. Clearly relying on armed security and police is a great way to get killed. And that is NOT a comment meant to insult any officers of the law, they do a great job, but they simply cannot be everywhere all the time. So at least this college campus is teaching the kids to be alert, to take proactive measures, to defend themselves with improvised weapons (throw books, etc).

Below are the first few paragraphs of a long article, to read the whole article please follow the link: jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=789139
[INDENT]
**Freshman 101: How to survive - and stop - a campus shooting **
Posted: Aug. 30, 2008

Whitewater - Freshmen at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater have always spent their first few days on campus learning college survival - how to join the karate club, cheer like a Warhawk and find English 101. But this year’s orientation added a grim new lesson: how to take out a campus shooter with a book or a backpack.

The school is one of about 500 around the country that have purchased “Shots Fired on Campus,” a new video training program with tactics for surviving a mass-casualty shooting. It’s the latest strategy for college officials who are preparing for the worst in the aftermath of shootings at Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois and other universities.

Students hear creepy music and watch a chilling dramatization of a shooter roaming the halls. They learn to identify exit routes, when to barricade or hide, and when to attack a shooter using improvised weapons.
[/INDENT]

Here is a link to the website of the company that produces the video, they offer several different videos for different circumstances.
cppssite.com/index.php

Here is the link to the university training video:
campus.shotsfireddvd.com/

Just remember: when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

DaveBj

i carry a gun because a cop is too heavy

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I can’t help but remember that one of the only heroes of the VT killings was an elderly man who was a survivor of the holocaust and until we as a society see value in heroism we will continue to be picked off like fish in a barrel.

I never heard this! Where did you read this?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.