Fri / Sat Morning Christmas Mass & Sunday Mass

Friday evening /Saturday mornings’ Christmas Mass doesn’t fulfill the Sunday obligation does it?

For instance and to clarify - at our parish we’re having 3 Masses on Friday evening and 2 Masses on Saturday Morning.

No Saturday evening Masses and then Sunday Masses resume as normal.

Nope it does not. Only a mass after 4pm on Saturday would fulfill the Sunday obligation and it is exactly for this question that our parish is NOT having any masses on Saturday after the noon mass for Christmas day so parishoners don’t try to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the reply. Our two Sunday morning Masses are probably going to be packed!

Don’t count on it! I’ve heard priests from different places saying that they’re expecting pretty empty churches on Sunday. Everyone will come for Christmas, but not very many will come back a day later. Sad, isn’t it.

Christmas is always the time when many Catholics come to church. And there will also be non-Catholics who are there with family.

I’m afraid that’s the case in our parish, although, this year, we’ve scheduled a couple of Baptisms on the Feast of the Holy Family so that might draw people who wouldn’t normally attend Mass that day.

I’m in choir and Christmas and Easter are pretty athletic for us. In addition to extra rehearsals, this year we have Christmas eve starting at 11:15 p.m. and through midnight mass, then Christmas day and then the following Sunday. I’m not sure I can do it all; (I’m calling it a “triple header”) but I wouldn’t dare miss the Sunday mandatory mass; that incurs a mortal sin if missed. The only mass I could miss without committing a mortal sin is one of the Christmas masses. Then I’d only have the choir director’s anger to deal with.:wink:

fills the Sunday obligation
bottom line, we go to Mass twice this weekend and next weekend, also a HOly day

In the US the obligation for the holy day on January 1 is dispensed because it falls on a Saturday.

Whenever January 1, the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, or August 15, the solemnity of the Assumption, or November 1, the solemnity of All Saints, falls on a Saturday or on a Monday, the precept to attend Mass is abrogated. Source]

My schedule this year: playing a 4 PM mass at another location, dinner with musicians, then setting up and playing music at 10 PM , 10:30 Mass. Then 8:30 and 10 on Christmas day. Then 8:30, 10, and noon on Sunday.

You have it easy. I thank the Lord that leap year is coming around so that Christmas isn’t on a Monday… Last time I had 5 FIVE!!! masses on Sunday (3 on Sunday morning, 4 pm, and late night) then 2 on Christmas.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.