Friday Mass readings / commentary (God punishes those who trample on the poor [possible prophecy for our times?] / The Word [the Mass?] taken from the earth! / Jesus is criticized for befriending sinners)

July 2, 2010
Friday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Friday Mass readings / commentary (God punishes those who trample on the poor [possible prophecy for our times?] / The Word [the Mass?] taken from the earth! / Jesus is criticized for befriending sinners)

Reading 1
Am 8:4-6, 9-12

Hear this, you who trample upon the needy
and destroy the poor of the land!

“When will the new moon be over,” you ask,
“that we may sell our grain,
and the sabbath, that we may display the wheat?
We will diminish the containers for measuring,
add to the weights,
and fix our scales for cheating!
We will buy the lowly man for silver,
and the poor man for a pair of sandals;

even the refuse of the wheat we will sell!”
On that day, says the Lord GOD,
I will make the sun set at midday
and cover the earth with darkness in broad daylight.
I will turn your feasts into mourning
and all your songs into lamentations.

I will cover the loins of all with sackcloth
and make every head bald.
I will make them mourn as for an only son,
and bring their day to a bitter end.
Yes, days are coming, says the Lord GOD,
when I will send famine upon the land:
Not a famine of bread, or thirst for water,
but for hearing the word of the LORD.

Then shall they wander from sea to sea
and rove from the north to the east
In search of the word of the LORD,
but they shall not find it.

Ps 119:2, 10, 20, 30, 40, 131
Responsorial Psalm

R. (Matthew 4:4) One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.
Blessed are they who observe his decrees,
who seek him with all their heart.
R. One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.
With all my heart I seek you;
let me not stray from your commands.

R. One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.
My soul is consumed with longing
for your ordinances at all times.
The way of truth I have chosen;
I have set your ordinances before me.
Behold, I long for your precepts;
in your justice give me life.

I gasp with open mouth
in my yearning for your commands.

Mt 9:9-13
Gospel

As Jesus passed by,
he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post.
He said to him, “Follow me.”
And he got up and followed him.
While he was at table in his house,
many tax collectors and sinners came
and sat with Jesus and his disciples.
The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples,
“Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
He heard this and said,
"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.
Go and learn the meaning of the words,
I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners."

I heard this saint (I think her name was Katherine??) say something about how in the years to come (she lived in the 18th or 19th century) there would be a time when the sky would be darkened for 3 days & terrible things would happen in order to kill off the ungodly people… and even some of the godly ones if they are not careful…:eek::frowning: I’l try to find the name of this saint…

so anyway i wonder if Amos is a prophecy of that future time she spoke of?

Jesus says he desires mercy rather than sacrifice.

I know personally how Jesus has mercy on sinners (repentant ones in particular) because when i am in HIs Real Presence… i don’t feel massive guilt or hopelessness abuot my sins as i do when i am in other places…

so we are to all have mercy on sinners… not easy when someone is sinning against you…
but at least we can pray for the person, which is what Jesus says elsewhere… to pray for our enemies… and those who despitefully use us… abuse us…

i used to hate certain evil doers… but when i prayed for them, the hate (more or less :o) went away…

I say more/less cuz i am human… and etc… ***

EWTN had a votive Mass in honor of the Precious Blood of Jesus, and I think that the readings were different. I was tired anyway, because I didn’t catch the Mass until midnight and I don’t remember a lot about the homily.

The scripture selections in the OP obviously point to vast spiritual meaning. We are not only dependent on God but we long for the revelation of God and His Will in our lives, no?

I’ve been reading and meditating on the first chapter of the letter of James, in the NT. It seems to relate to everything in our lives – how to understand trials and temptations, and how to seek wisdom and understand from God – and how to live, based on the Word of God that has been planted like a seed in us.

I’m too tired to pull all these readings together. Scripture comes at us at so many levels and in so many ways to keep us on the path of following Jesus. Faith and life in Jesus is the treasure hidden in the field, the pearl of great price – the thing that is worth more than everything else.

When we are reborn in Jesus Christ, everything – everything is different. We see everything from the perspective of Jesus. It’s not just a Sunday morning experience, it is 24/7.

kinda wondering what your thoughts would be about the Thread called (i think) Not Many escape Hell? forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=397278

__________________some ofthe stuff there is hard to totally accept… because we humans … our minds are so limited… as far as understanding God…

have you spent much tim in the Real Presence?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.