Friday Penance

I know that we are required to do some kind of penitential activity on Fridays outside of Lent. Abstaining from meat is no big deal for me, so I try to do something else instead. How far should you go?

I have gotten into a habit of praying the rosary recently, which seems pretty sufficient.

Sometimes I will refrain from snacking all day which seems like more penance for me than abstaining from meat ever was.

Any ideas on guidelines for Friday penance?

Sounds like you’ve got the right attitude about Friday penance. It is still required of all Catholics, though abstinence from meat is not required outside of Lent in a lot of places.

I hear Stations of the Cross are a good alternative to meat abstinence.

CCC 1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church’s penitential practice. **These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works). **

Penances that are particularly suitable for Fridays include the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary, the Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, an hour of Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, or the Stations of the Cross, in addition to the ones you’ve already mentioned. :slight_smile:

You know, I did not actually know until reading it on this forum several months back that we were required to do some sort of penance on Friday:blush: How in the world did I miss that?:blush: I could start a whole new thread about the liberal attitude of our diocese but I won’t;)

Anyway, now, my H and I are abstaining from meat on Friday outside of lent, and besides my daily rosary, I try to say the Divine Chaplet of Mercy at 3:00. Sometimes it seems the little acts of reparation I do are ridiculously pale in comparison to how much I should be doing for Our Lord.:o

There has been a great deal of confusion almost everywhere, in the past few years. I guess a lot of Bishops just assume that everyone knows this, and a lot of lay people in leadership haven’t bothered to check with their Bishops for clarification, because it seemed “so obvious” to them that their interpretation was “in the spirit of Vatican II.” :rolleyes:

Anyway, now, my H and I are abstaining from meat on Friday outside of lent, and besides my daily rosary, I try to say the Divine Chaplet of Mercy at 3:00. Sometimes it seems the little acts of reparation I do are ridiculously pale in comparison to how much I should be doing for Our Lord. :o

Good for you!! :thumbsup:

I actually think that’s the whole point of Friday penance - to teach us and remind us that we are only little children in the eyes of the Lord, and that there is nothing we can do to match or to return His sacrificial love for us. :slight_smile:

It’s a lesson that really only comes home when we make the attempt.

Well, you have a good start at not snacking all day. Why not make EVERY Friday a day of fasting by Church rules? One moderate meal, two smaller meals that do not add up to the main meal, and no snacks inbetween?

I myself abstain every Friday, part of my committment to a 1221 penance group, and fast as well. A way of reminding myself that God is more important then a cheeseburger, chocolate, or pizza. :o

What is a 1221 Penance group ? :slight_smile:

how far you should go is how far it takes to bring to you recollection of Christ’s passion and suffering, and to do something positive or to forego something which will aide you in this recollection. If giving up meat just means an excuse to go to Joe’s Crab Shack, the whole exercise is devoid of meaning.

penitents.org

bspenance.org

Thank’s for that , 1221 looks good.:slight_smile:

What is the main difference between a group like 1221 and Opus dei ?

CFP and BSP are private associations of Catholics. And to answer the BIG question that popped into your mind, but which you were reluctant to ask…no, we do NOT use the cilice or discipline. :smiley:

Next big difference: our penance is private. Whilst family and close friends may know about it: casual fruiends, co-workers, and other people in non-Catholic situations should not. Thus we avoid spiritual pride. Penance done to impress others is its own reward.:frowning:

Likewise, our spiritual and corporal works of mercy are done individually. Whatever you and your spiritual director agree upon as suitable for your situation in life. In my case, it is “ransoming the prisoners”…my AA work to ransom those held in captivity by alcohol and drugs. :slight_smile:

Essentially, CFP and BSP are for those who need help in living a more spiritual life. Who need guidelines and rules to follow. St. Francis created the original third order and its rule of 1221 precisely for those who wanted conversion, but were unsure how to go about it. Me, for example:thumbsup:

Last Friday was the Feast of the Assumption. It was on a Friday. Did we still have to make a penance, given the “glorious mystery” of that day?:shrug:

No, for a Major Feast day we do not fast on a typical fast day. Last Friday was a day for feast, not fast, because we celebrated Our Lady’s Assumption.

Pax Christi tecum.

Thanks Struggling- this is what I thought- logical and with the “spirit of the law”

Peace-

Solemnities are NEVER days of fasting, abstinance, or other penance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.