Friday Self-denial

Firstly, apologies if this is is the wrong place/posted elsewhere b4
Basially recently i’ve been wondring wether i should do something on Fridays; and if so what?
the suggestions i have thought of so far are:
abstaining from social networks
Fasting in someway, prehaps light breakfast, bread snack and evening meal
So what i’m, asking is i) wether you partake in self denial and if so ii) what do you do (if you don’t mind sharing oc) and iii) any suggestions as to what I can do?

My family abstains from meat.

OTOH, I don’t go berserk if someone forgets or happens to have a late-night hotdog. We are toying with the idea of making sure the whole family goes to Mass.

:slight_smile:

Yeah abstanance from meat could work :smiley:
also in this case would it be right to eat meat which was offered/prepared to you, say at a party? as would it be a waste of meat to turn it down

Easy and traditional – abstain from meat (including chicken). I’ve noticed that many resturants will still have a fish special on Fridays. Of course, if you decide to eat shrimp scampi or lobster every Friday, that’s not very penitential! :wink:

It is best, I think, to take what is offered. Unless it is lent, in which case it would be a sin to do so.

When that happens, I just say an extra prayer or rosary to make up for it.

Oh, and when I am asked, I tell people we abstain from meat becasue it is out of respect for the flesh that was nailed on the Cross. That’s a powerful reason.

Well said. I’ll try to keep it in my memory.

I try to abstain from meat, and it’s funny when I’m with someone and they notice that I’m abstaining - how quickly they remind me you can eat meat now on Fridays! I just say I try not to - no embarassment. But to echo another poster - it’s not a sin if you do eat meat - except as directed during Lent. Keep up the good work!

I also abstain form meat on Friday as my penitent act. Addtitionally, I do so on Wednesdays. Toying with following Carmelite Diet. But, for now Wednesday and Friday no meat. Also, Additionally, each Day I try only to have One big meal and the rest basically just to stave off the hunger. So Semi-fast-like but not strick.

Small Mortifications until I can work myself up to larger ones.

– Cadian :knight1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.