Friend or Foe

Hello Everyone,

I need some advice. I have been friends with a young man for nine years. We used to be very close. Until he recently decided to be wed to a girl who abandon her faith and take up Wiccanism…? So I feel like I should stop talking to him altogether because of his decision to marry her. He’s kind of abandoned his religion also to make her happy… After we attended church together for 5 years and got saved before my very eyes! How could he turn his back like this? Help and advice please!!
God Bless,
PM

Why would you stop talking to someone because they fell in love with and married someone of another faith? That strikes me as petty and churlish.

While he may be making a mistake, what does it matter for you if he’s changed faith? Be a good friend and perhaps you’ll be able to influence him back.

There’s no such thing as being saved, at least not until the moment after your death.

That said, I would not abandon the friendship, your continued Christian example may slowly draw him back to his faith.

Maybe a dialog about truth could help each of you learn and grow in faith. Why do you believe what you believe is a good question to start with? Give a reason to your friend for the hope that lies in you :)

How do you KNOW your friend got saved?

First, I am sorry about your friendship which after 9 years was probably very close. Wiccan is a pagan religion which is something you should be avoiding. God tells us that we need to talk with our friends and loved ones when we feel they are in error in their life. We should do it kindly and without judgement. After that what they choose to do is their business, you may continue to be kind and friendly but you should have nothing to do with their pagan rites. Keep your door open and your prayers going that this will be a phase in life that passes quickly. God bless you.

There is an old saying: A friend in need is a friend indeed

If you think your friend is abandoning the faith, he needs your friendship more than ever. As a friend, you can be a good role model and source of support. Gently guide him back when the time is right.

=Protestant Me;9713464]Hello Everyone,

I need some advice. I have been friends with a young man for nine years. We used to be very close. Until he recently decided to be wed to a girl who abandon her faith and take up Wiccanism…? So I feel like I should stop talking to him altogether because of his decision to marry her. He’s kind of abandoned his religion also to make her happy… After we attended church together for 5 years and got saved before my very eyes! How could he turn his back like this? Help and advice please!!
God Bless,
PM

First 'Got saved is not a reality from a biblical and therefore God’s own Will and commands.:o [Please “PM” me if you’d like further info?..PJM]

Your question is excellent. Your instincts are correct as we are ALL “to avoid the near occassion of sin.” That said if God leadshim to you with FAITH-questions be ready to answer them. Pray for them daily!

God Bless you, Pat /PJM here on this forum

If one is truely a friend they do not desert when the friend changes their beliefs.

This happened to me years ago when a couple left our liturgical church and became fundamentalist in the wife’s cousins mega church. Although I became Catholic and they knew that was where my heart was from the first, they left me.

We do speak at times, however, many of the beliefs she now has appear to be more like a cult. I don’t see the fruits of the Spirit from her and fear she has taken a road that leaves out charity towards anyone who doesn’t agree with her.

My beliefs have never changed and we use to talk for hours about the Lord. I have come to realize that many who claim to be Christian are not showing forth the love of Christ and are looking inward instead of outward supporting each other in time of need.

I might be wrong, but in my opinion Christians are always to show love towards others and by their example bring others to Christ by their actions, as words can just be empty. One must walk the walk, not just talk the talk. This applies to both Catholics and Protestants.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

shunning a wiccan isn’t going to do anything, all it does is strengthen conviction.

Keep the lines of communication open and try to keep your friendship alive. More importantly, pray for him. Turning your back on him will not do any good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.