Friend tempted by doubts

Friend tempted by doubs…

I have a good friend who is a convert to tge Catholic Church…but he is being attacked and assaulted by a whole lot of doubts and hersies from his past…especially Gnosticism…any ideas or suggestions of what he can/should do??? Thank you…btw he prays the rosary and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy every day and other prayers too…

If your friend likes to read and can handle something that’s a little dense, have him get a copy of The Confessions of St. Augustine. He converted from gnosticism, plus it’s just a really good read.

He should speak to a Catholic priest.

Tell your friend to offer up all his doubts and tribulations to Jesus. Maybe he can try the novena of surrender to the will of God.
https://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/novenas/p03530.htm

Gnosticism was an esoteric religious movement of the first centuries A.D., a movement that rivaled Christianity. In a broader sense, it is an esoteric knowledge of higher religious and philosophic truths to be acquired by an elite group.
Tell your friend there is no secret knowledge, Jesus revealed to us what we need for our spiritual growth and salvation.

Can he make regular Holy Hours of Adoration in front of the Blessed Sacrament? Can he talk to his Priest?

We both go to adoration 1-3 hours a week…

I am experiencing this same thing and what I suggested is buying the prayer book Blessed Be God on Amazon. A friend from my parish give me hers and it has saved and changed my life. I also keep hearing that you never know if you are doing the right thing until you experience doubts. I still get them but, we all experience them at some point or another. Another thing that helps me is either sitting in front of the Blessed Sacrament or watching what is is called Adorecast on YouTube. My priest, priesg, my parish family, listening to EWTN (especially Mother Angelica and Archbishop Sheen), reading St Faustina’s Diary, the lives of the Saints, the Catechism, and the Vatican II documents have all helped me. There are so many good resources to assist your friend in better understanding and defending the faith better. Once, he does all shadow of doubt will be erased.

The only reason I still have doubts is for reason I myself don’t even understand. Take care and God Bless!

This is the most effective novena anyone can pray. This a the memorare, which Mother Teresa prayed 9 times a day as a flying novena. Pray it 10 times if you really are in desperate need. Also the website praymorenovenas.com and praymoreretreat.com are really good websites.

OP. Your friend has doubts because he is a human being. God created the human being with a brain so that we can think and reason. All those are good as they are created by God. Sometimes we human beings spend way to much time “in our brain” and leave the heart to the side. Learning to stop being caught up in the brain is needed to spend more time with the practical and emotional part of faith like reading the poetic writings instead. Trying to find the balance between thinking, practical work and heart business is the trick here.

Ask your friend to speak with a priest/deacon/brother/sister. I am sure they can help him to get a different focus. Everyone has doubts sometime in their life and it is part of life and being human.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.