Friend wants to come to church need help

Hi :slight_smile: My friend would like to come to church next weekend. He likes what he’s heard from me, but, is there a book or something I can give him to help him along?

Thanks,

Philip

Age and a little background on your friend would be helpful.
(How knowledgeable is he about Jesus, Scripture, etc.)

Nita is right. A little background info would greatly impact what book to recommend.

He’s late 40’s. I’ve bought Catholicism for Dummies and the Catholic Answers Book so far.

He pretty just much just knows what I’ve told him as far as scripture goes. I just pray the holy spirit guides me as I explain things. I think with just a basic foundation (ie a book) he would really take off with it.

Hope this info helps,

Philip

Books are fine but nothing can beat a friend walking along side to help you down the road toward Rome. Stay the course and help him to understand the beauty and history of the Church, it’s teachings, it’s Traditions, etc. God bless.

Thanks, its just a lot of responsibility and I’m trying to do the best I can.

Philip

Fundamentals of the Faith by Peter Kreeft - Good book on basic Christian beliefs. Much of it is applicable to Christianity in general, but part of it applicable to the Catholic Church in particular

A Father Who Keeps His Promises or Understanding the Scriptures by Scott Hahn - Both of these books are great overviews of Scripture. UTS is better, but AFWKHP is cheaper.

Some good conversion stories are also very helpful. Here are some of the best I’ve come across. In explaining how they came to the Catholic Church, the author(s) by necessity explain and defend Church teaching. Plus, as they are stories, they are often more engaging.

Apologetics Conversion Stories
[LIST]
*]Currie, David. Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius Press, 1996.
*]Hahn, Scott, and Kimberly Hahn. Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius Press, 1993.
*]Howard, Thomas. Lead, Kindly Light: My Journey to Rome. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius Press, 2004.
*]Madrid, Patrick, Ed. Surprised by Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic. San Diego, CA: Basilica Press, 1994.
*]Madrid, Patrick, Ed. Surprised by Truth 2: 15 Men and Women Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic. Manchester, NH: Sophia Institute Press, 2000.
*]Madrid, Patrick, Ed. Surprised by Truth 3: 10 More Converts Explain the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic. Manchester, NH: Sophia Institute Press, 2002.
*]Ray, Steve. Crossing the Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historic Church. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius Press, 1997.
*]Schoeman, Roy, Ed. Honey From the Rock: Sixteen Jews Find the Sweetness of Christ. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius Press, 2007.
*]Shea, Mark. By What Authority?: An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition. Huntington, IN: Our Sunday Visitor, 1996
[/LIST]

Yeah just go to Church and hold up on the dump-truck of books for now unless he specifically requests something. It’s too much like that *Seinfeld *episode when George wants to convert to Latvian Orthodoxy and they give him 5 or 6 thick dust volumes to learn. Ugh! :slight_smile:

Just be a bud. I was converted because of the great Catholics I kept meeting. Doctrine was important of course, but it was low on the list.

Haha thats halarious!! Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Maybe just a catechism would be enough for him.

But let him know you can help him find answers also.

True that. I would probably get him the Compendium first since it does not have that intimidating phone-book look like the full CCC. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.