Friends Perception of God is skewed

Hi,

I’ll try to ask this question as best I can.

I had a conversation with a friend recently about God.
She believes that God exists, she believes that Jesus was the Son of God and that the Bible is true. However, she doesn’t seek a relationship with God. I asked her why, and her response, which was vague, seemed to be that she believed “God is too big for us”, that “God doesn’t need us to spend our whole lives seeking Him and thinking about Him”. Therefore her belief in God is something very intangible.

Also, she said that someone who is Catholic is fine. But that someone who is of a New Age mentality is also fine, because it’s all a kind of “God mentality”. She also believes that there can be no hell, because God would not send anyone to hell. I explained to her that we send ourselves to Hell with our choices and our hardening of our hearts and our refusals of Gods love, but she still maintained that there is SOME goodness in everyone and that God will see that. Also she spoke about situations where people grow up in very bad environments which can make them “bad”, but really it’s just a result of their circumstances.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

I will wait for more erudite answers. Re: the bolded, yes, I think some situations can highly skew one’s life towards bad behavior, which doesn’t make that person bad per se.It could, but not necessarily. I doubt very much that someone who is constantly beaten, abused, and witness to heinous acts would statistically be likely to be calm and happy with normal thought processes, thus could be prone to bad behavior. Such was one person I know, who recognized that she didn’t know how to be good, though she desperately tried despite her horrible upbringing. She never wanted to purposefully go against God; she desperately wanted to be with Him.
And now she is. She couldn’t wait.
I believe He saw her intent lovingly. He knows she tried and tried.

hi, without a challenge to her-believe your self; if appropriate-tell her (or show by action) to look for goodness in God…(it’s the reverse as your friend thinks)
take what you can and disregard the rest, as follows…

well, who was the strongest man that ever lived? answer:Jesus-the strength was in love; (that seems quite tangible);hence, love of many types-including Divine love is real, ever present…so God does reveal himself tangible in love…
if love is a task-the action of it might be observed and this proof of God in the world- mysteries unfold that God would reveal himself tangible to the world-

As CS lewis might suggest about science that science only recognizes things when these are measured-to weigh, to be given a number…quantities ; then he goes on to compare quantities with qualities/ a quality cannot be weighed ; while St therese might refute pure science to suggest there is a science of (divine) love… " She inquires…) the she weighs a quality of divine love in her heart…

Nevertheless, qualities are made tangible :for a man to believe in love…coincides with a search to do the will of God (when things more visible) as i could also say God is there in the sunrise-sure i am selfish to wait in awe…(just me)it is a miracle…as miracles are real, here now today, not so much the miracles of a healed hand (it could happen); a small everyday miracle counts…Life! God would reveal himself tangible to the world by his creation, miracles of life life itself.
God so loved the world-he gave his only begotten son/… in my selfish awe of sun rises-i might include by choice-thinking of the suffering of the world…
that means to me -my baptism is at work, as a sacrament, forever helping me through the Holy Spirit…this is ‘Himself’ in the world through sacrament… man with a soul, man with a spirit, as if a human sponge to God’s Holy Spirit-as an ocean of possibility/ God would reveal himself tangible to the world …God reveals himself in people-they have souls…

yet, ironies of the man/God, Jesus Christ, tells much; Jesus the carpenter working with wood-nailed to a wooden cross, and shows sometimes an inner conflict,

much like Jesus on the Cross-who asked :“WHY?” this irony and clash is God revealing himself tangible in the world.

there might seem to be accidents, yet in the lonliness of the soul-the Holy Spirit has given you a spiritual thirst and next will continue His guidance to quinch it…In church-observe the cup that serves that wonderful drink…Jesus is in it/God is so intelligent…i suppose one day (before creation) as he knew his son would be born…a plan began in the eons of time; then, following that thought-God is so intelligent that today after eons of time-the risen Lord might be servant and mercifully give the supply of salvation (His very spirit shared), as though scattered haphazardly; yet God is so intelligent- it is certainly not a coincidence as God reveals himself tangible in the cup of salvation.

I will have a go at the bits I have highlighted.

It is perfectly true that God does not need us to seek Him. However, He created and upholds the universe and each single part in it for a purpose. That purpose is to express Love, because that is if the essence of His nature. Love is never a solitary matter, it always requires a community. Within the Godhead this is the exchange of Love between the persons of the Blessed Trinity. Outside of the Godhead it consist of the love felt and expressed between Creator and creature. When we fail to respond to His gifts of love to us by loving Him right back then we fail to fulfil our purpose, we act unnaturally.

A God mentality exists, by definition, only in the mind. By becoming Incarnate in Jesus and by sending the Holy Spirit at Pentecost God in a sense inhabits humanity in its flesh, it pains and joys, losses and the agony of death. He inspires not simply our minds but our hearts too. He call forth a whole-person response. A response to the idea of God is a philosophy, a personal response to His presence within and amongst us is the Catholic faith. Not responding to Him in this way is rejecting His Incarnation and saying His Passion and Death were irrelevant to our relationship with Him and might as well not have happened.

There is some good in everyone. Salvation, though, is based upon how we respond to the graces we are given. If we reject those graces then God accepts our freedom to do so and allows us to spend this life and all eternity without Him giving light and life to our spirit.

=sealabeag;11683050]Hi,

I’ll try to ask this question as best I can.

I had a conversation with a friend recently about God.
She believes that God exists, she believes that Jesus was the Son of God and that the Bible is true. However, she doesn’t seek a relationship with God. I asked her why, and her response, which was vague, seemed to be that she believed “God is too big for us”, that “God doesn’t need us to spend our whole lives seeking Him and thinking about Him”. Therefore her belief in God is something very intangible.

Also, she said that someone who is Catholic is fine. But that someone who is of a New Age mentality is also fine, because it’s all a kind of “God mentality”. She also believes that there can be no hell, because God would not send anyone to hell. I explained to her that we send ourselves to Hell with our choices and our hardening of our hearts and our refusals of Gods love, but she still maintained that there is SOME goodness in everyone and that God will see that. Also she spoke about situations where people grow up in very bad environments which can make them “bad”, but really it’s just a result of their circumstances.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Well, the first thing is she either does not know the bible or has forgotten VERY MUCH.

TALK about Jesus

Ask is He GOD?

Do you understand that GOD became a MAN in part so that we COULD know God?

Be gentle but logical.

Do you believe in ONLY one TRUE God or many gods/

PRAY MUCH!

Get back to us after these two points and we can go from there.:thumbsup:

God Bless
Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.