Friends With Benifits film

Has any one heard of the film Freinds With Benifits? Im sure you have, its a new movie (just about to be released in cinemas here in the UK) about 2 so called friends who use each other for sex (its a romantic comedy apparently, although in real life how this would be either romantic or funny, I have no idea). I was just wondering if anyone here had seen it and if its as awful as it sounds. Im worried that Sex in the City wasnt bad enough. Im worried girls will watch this and think, ''oh so thats how I make a guy like me. I sleep with him and let him know he doesnt have to give me a sinlge darn thing in return, not even love or respect, not even a date, not even a bunch of flowers, let alone an engagaement ring. Then eventually he'll change, he'll fall in love with me and everything will be alright. Yay.'' Im normally careful about criticising films before Ive eveb seen them, but the title alone and basic premis of this one is terrifying me.

[quote="CrazyRachel, post:1, topic:255653"]
Has any one heard of the film Freinds With Benifits? Im sure you have, its a new movie (just about to be released in cinemas here in the UK) about 2 so called friends who use each other for sex (its a romantic comedy apparently, although in real life how this would be either romantic or funny, I have no idea). I was just wondering if anyone here had seen it and if its as awful as it sounds. Im worried that Sex in the City wasnt bad enough. Im worried girls will watch this and think, ''oh so thats how I make a guy like me. I sleep with him and let him know he doesnt have to give me a sinlge darn thing in return, not even love or respect, not even a date, not even a bunch of flowers, let alone an engagaement ring. Then eventually he'll change, he'll fall in love with me and everything will be alright. Yay.'' Im normally careful about criticising films before Ive eveb seen them, but the title alone and basic premis of this one is terrifying me.

[/quote]

It's an "old-fashioned" and pro-marriage, albeit R rated and sleazy, story about two singles who think they can get physically involved with no feelings or emotion. Same exact story was also told just a few months earlier. "Friends With Benefits" was with Rachel Portman and Ashton Kutcher, and the nearly identical "No Strings Attached" was with Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake. Despite the pro-marriage message of both, they were both incredibly sleazy and unsuitable for kids.

[quote="havana1, post:2, topic:255653"]
It's an "old-fashioned" and pro-marriage, albeit R rated and sleazy, story about two singles who think they can get physically involved with no feelings or emotion. Same exact story was also told just a few months earlier. "Friends With Benefits" was with Rachel Portman and Ashton Kutcher, and the nearly identical "No Strings Attached" was with Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake. Despite the pro-marriage message of both, they were both incredibly sleazy and unsuitable for kids.

[/quote]

Interesting. No matter how depraved the plot devices and external trappings, the romantic comedy cannot get away from the fact that, fundamentally, the goal of the genre is to get you to root for the main guy and main girl to get married.

It's just evidence that this Catholic stuff really is written in our hearts.

...and the nearly identical "No Strings Attached" was with Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake.

[/quote]

Okay. I'm not crazy!! :) I was confused and didn't realize there are two movies.

I have a teenager at home or wouldn't even know who these people are. I still refer to Johnny Depp as "that kid from '21 Jump Street.'" ;)

[/quote]

I think you have the movies switched, "No Strings Attached" starred Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman. "Friends with Benefits" stars Kunis and Timberlake.

and here I’ve been thinking of him as Don Juan de Marco all this time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.