Friends

I have a friend who is very immature and who lately has been starting to bug me. He is very uncharitable to people who did something bad to him recently or a real long time ago. What should I do? I sometimes get frustrated when I am around him and tell him to please stop but he doesn’t.

[quote=SummaTheo]I have a friend who is very immature and who lately has been starting to bug me. He is very uncharitable to people who did something bad to him recently or a real long time ago. What should I do? I sometimes get frustrated when I am around him and tell him to please stop but he doesn’t.
[/quote]

Perhaps you can have a heart-to-heart talk with this friend and explain your concerns about his/her attitude. If he doesn’t take your concerns seriously and ignores them, then perhaps it is time to see less of this friend.

[quote=SummaTheo]I have a friend who is very immature and who lately has been starting to bug me. He is very uncharitable to people who did something bad to him recently or a real long time ago. What should I do? I sometimes get frustrated when I am around him and tell him to please stop but he doesn’t.
[/quote]

Is he a Catholic or a Christian of any kind? According to the New Testament, you should point out sin to your brother, and lack of forgiveness and charity is definitely a sin. It will be hard to do this, of course, but you’ll be doing him a favor.

If he’s not a Christian, then you could still discuss it with him, but he might not understand why you think he should “just be nice” to people who have hurt him. It might be best for you to limit your time with him.

Ask him why he wants to hold on to all of this anger? After a while, it is actually work to keep it going and that wasted energy could be used in a better way. He should learn to let go and forgive. If he says he can’t then ask him why he feels he is better than these other people, for he mst feel he is supeior in some way or he would stop feeding into this anger.

Anger is much different than frustration. Anger actually takes a lot of work, where as frustration is only temporary. You could get angery because of your frustration, but otherwise it is temporary. The best thing to to is to pray for those who are frustrating you that they see the truth of God.

Easier said than done, but it always works! Let Go and Let God!

[quote=Kristina P.]Is he a Catholic or a Christian of any kind? According to the New Testament, you should point out sin to your brother, and lack of forgiveness and charity is definitely a sin. It will be hard to do this, of course, but you’ll be doing him a favor.

[/quote]

I pointed it out to him and even quoted two scripture verses: Matt 5:21-22 and Luke 6: 31. He just says don’t worry about it. It’s just frustrating.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.