Friendships with non-Catholic friends

I'm having a hard time listening to my friends who share to me about their lives but who are not Catholic.

One friend told me about how excited she is about this Tantric healing and how she might become a Tantric healer.
Another friend is into hedonism... it's all about partying and experimenting with sex.
The rest of my friends just typically share to me about who they are sleeping with.

They all know how devout I am and I do my best at not judging them and I try to share my faith the best I can. I know how to handle the sexual type of conversations. I try and share with them the beauty of the marital embrace and how serious the consequences can be from pre or extra marital sex. They are pretty obvious and everyone talks about them.

But with regards to the New Age subject, I haven't done in depth research on it. I just know the general advice given to Catholics. Don't engage in it not just because it's a sin but it can open you up to demonic opression at worst or just lead you further into sin at best. The first friend I mentioned today invited me to a cuddle party put on by this Shamanic priestess. I just told her I don't think I could do it based on that I wouldn't be comfortable with strangers. I didn't tell her that the second reason is that I don't want to have anything to do with a Shamanic Priestess because I"m scared to opening up myself to the occult.

I'm conflicted because while I don't want to close the door to our friendship in the sense that this is what her life is about for now, I would like to offer her some sort of direction towards our faith, ie. preach and use words if necessary, yet I'm an anxious person and just knowing that she's engaging in this stuff makes me worry and freak out about her so much. To the point where I'd be happier if she wasn't telling me about this. I don't want to hear about how she's harming herself.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

Hello Andrea. I am in a similar situation, so I am interested in hearing the replies to this. The best advice I can think of is to make your friend the object of your prayers. Offer up your suffering for her and pray for her often. Look to St. Monica, who prayed for years and years and years until her son finally found God, for your inspiration.

Hi Jared,

Trust me I pray for her and all of them. This is how I handle my anxiety about my friends at the moment. There is nothing better than lifting them up to God and let him deal with them.

It's the day to day stuff and how to handle it that I'm having trouble with. When she brings up the subject I'm not sure what my objective would be. To just listen to her? To guide her? To divert the conversation? To end it quickly? How much of my thoughts do I share... do I tell her I"m scared in general about that stuff? do I tell her I'm scared for her? Do I tell her how we believe that that stuff is bad for her? I know if I say that she'll never talk to me about it again. Is that result acceptable with me?

Uncertain...

The problem with non believers, as opposed to those that are devout regardless of their Christian faith, is they are living in a secular world, secular problems, secular standards, and secular morals. These are the opposite of what you are supposed to embrace and allowing yourself exposure to those types means one of two things. One, you have to downgrade the faith that you live in order to not rub them the wrong way, the second, they will rub off on you and you will adopt unwittingly their values.

You need to make it very clear to your friends as to your stance, your values, and they must show respect for them and keep their worldly comments to themselves. You also want to avoid intermingling who you are and what you do, especially if money is involved, with them. It's only a matter of time before they turn on you, you know that right? They do because they are more easily manipulated by the evil one, and since you ascociate with them, guess where his aggressions will be turned on, it will be on you, and what you currently experience is part of it, it will be worse before it's over, hopefully you can heed this advice and make friends that are devout, replacing the worldly ones.

Hiyas:)

First: Ask your friend how this Shaman was granted authority.
Most will say such-and-such Native American - First Person Shaman / Medicine man.

Second: Ask which Nation is this Shaman affiliated with…and if they are of direct bloodline.
Most will cite some small little known Nation.

Contrary to popular beliefs, we do not share with wannabes. It is Our heritage…Our spirituality…Our traditions. Also contrary to popular belief…most of us are devout Catholics. Or at least Catholic. We celebrate The Communion of Saints and also our heritage / traditions

While it is true that some…sell parts of our traditions…these are sold by people who know little or nothing…i.e, powwows…sweats…etc. Kinda like the nonbeliever selling pieces of The Cross Who believes their claims? ].

The things that are sacred to us…are passed down…within. Example, try to get a real peace-pipe a real peace-pipe is made in two sections with ceremony ]…eagle feather… eagle feathers are DNA tested ]. To us, it would be like The Holy Catholic Church giving the remains of Saint Peter to atheists.

Most Nations / Spiritual Leaders / Grandfathers etc are on-line and can be verified easily
I can speak to the above statements.

I hope this helps.

I think you should establish boundaries. Let them know clearly that you do not want to hear about immoral practices (unless they need your help in removing themselves from these situations), that they make you uncomfortable when they bring these things up, etc.

If they are true friends, they will respect your boundaries. If they continue, then I would recommend distancing yourself from them.

[quote="Andrea22, post:1, topic:177336"]
I'm having a hard time listening to my friends who share to me about their lives but who are not Catholic.

One friend told me about how excited she is about this Tantric healing and how she might become a Tantric healer.
Another friend is into hedonism... it's all about partying and experimenting with sex.
The rest of my friends just typically share to me about who they are sleeping with.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

[/quote]

get new friends
seriously, if you are struggling with living the Christian life friends that tear you down you do not need, and friends--meaning people you socialize with and spend most of your time with and share your thoughts and dreams with--are a danger to you if they promote these activities. You can't spend the bulk of your time with people who act in these ways. You sound very young, so it is quite likely you are not yet strong in your own faith and practice, and not equipped to evangelize yet other than by your example. Continue to do that. You don't need to drop these people cold, but you do need to surround yourself with people who share your world view.

Hi Andrea,

I’m in a similar situation! I don’t really know what to do about it either… usually I listen and try to not look/sound judgemental, but still try to express some of my thoughts.

What puzzleannie said:

Get new friends.

How about joining groups or committees at your parish or a neighboring parish?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.