Fright Night

So, I love the original Fright Night movie with Chris Sarandon and was sceptical going into watch the re-make the other day. To my immense pleasure I ended up really enjoying this re-imagining and Colin Farrell was awesome as Jerry Dandrige. The premise is the same, but the movie takes a slightly different direction in the storyline without deviating so much that it looses the essence of the original. Best of all, they kept with the classic vampire myth and rules, not the modernised, secular, garbage version that completely dilutes them as a monster.

The only negative that really bugged me was the blatant product placement. Either I’ve caught onto advertising tricks more as I’ve gotten older or they’re just not trying as hard anymore.

[quote="PrayerShark, post:1, topic:256699"]

The only negative that really bugged me was the blatant product placement. Either I've caught onto advertising tricks more as I've gotten older or they're just not trying as hard anymore.

[/quote]

Probably a little of both. :)

I know I've become more observant in this regard. In rewatching some older TV shows, I have started to notice it where I never had before. I think the car companies do it the most blatantly.

[quote="PrayerShark, post:1, topic:256699"]
So, I love the original Fright Night movie with Chris Sarandon and was sceptical going into watch the re-make the other day. To my immense pleasure I ended up really enjoying this re-imagining and Colin Farrell was awesome as Jerry Dandrige. The premise is the same, but the movie takes a slightly different direction in the storyline without deviating so much that it looses the essence of the original. Best of all, they kept with the classic vampire myth and rules, not the modernised, secular, garbage version that completely dilutes them as a monster.

The only negative that really bugged me was the blatant product placement. Either I've caught onto advertising tricks more as I've gotten older or they're just not trying as hard anymore.

[/quote]

I don't remember any product placement in the movie, though I do remember a lot of gratuitous profanity and swearing. Jerry Dandrige was "awesome"? You're kidding, right? Nearly every word out of his mouth was an obscenity. I haven't been put off by so much gratuitous swearing in a long time. The Bishops Conference even agrees with me (or/and vice versa) - "several uses of profanity and pervasive rough and crude language. The Catholic News Service classification is O -- morally offensive." Source: catholicnews.com/data/movies/11mv096.htm

As a fan of the original, glad to hear the new film was good! I’m not a Colin Ferrell fan but I love Anton Yelchin and David Tennant. :slight_smile:

David Tenant did a great Peter Vincent, but I think I prefer Roddy McDowal’s old bumbling man version.

Can’t say I’m much of a fan of Colin Farrel either, but he pulled off a great Jerry Dandrige. I highly recommend you go see it if you liked the original. Good vampire movies are hard to come by these days.

I don’t remember any product placement in the movie, though I do remember a lot of gratuitous profanity and swearing. Jerry Dandrige was “awesome”? You’re kidding, right? Nearly every word out of his mouth was an obscenity. I haven’t been put off by so much gratuitous swearing in a long time. The Bishops Conference even agrees with me (or/and vice versa) - “several uses of profanity and pervasive rough and crude language. The Catholic News Service classification is O – morally offensive.” Source: catholicnews.com/data/movies/11mv096.htm

I take it you don’t get out much. :rolleyes:

The swearing in the movie was quite tame. But honestly, if it makes you feel better you could say the swearing was in context with the character. Dandrige is an evil creature, therefore what comes out of his mouth is likely to be evil as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.